QR 700
AR 650
DM 620
Total 2490 Average 623
SJT Band 2
Has done a bit of research and think my best chances would be
UEA/Plymouth
? Keele/AR/Kent Medway
Am doing BMAT and want to put Leeds/UCL or Imperial. Will UCL/Imperial consider me with 3 A predictions they offer A*AA if I do well in the BMAT
With my stats I think Birmingham/Liverpool/Leicester are out?

@GANFYD and others you’ve given some great advice hopefully you can help me

UEA and Plymouth would be fine
As would ARU
Keele use the R&R form, which is very subjective, so depends on your content for that
KMMS contextualise all their applicants, and nobody knows how, so depends on school performance and some voodoo magic they do in admissions
Liverpool may be an option, but you have safer ones this year, given we have no historical data for cut offs

Also look at Lincoln, Aston, SGUL and Sunderland (if you have content for the R&R, as they use it too)

Leeds has required 37/40 for an interview in recent years and your 6 in Eng Lang drops you 2 marks, so you would need a high BMAT for here (unless contextual....)
Imperial will consider you with AAA predicted, but still likely to make an offer of A*AA (perhaps not if contextual)
UCL want A*AA predicted, I believe
Reply 21
Original post by daeho14
I posted on the last thread before this one was made, do I have to post again here??

Well the previous thread is now closed, so nobody can reply on it
Reply 22
Original post by Valantis8
Think it’s worth a shot?

Depends how badly you want to go to Edinburgh, how risk averse you are and what other options you have.
Reply 23
NOoooooo. It takes too long!
I am picking out the lovely, polite, thought out questions and dealing with those!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
@Hopeful Medic21 Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I will definitely apply to Liverpool and Leicester. Last year I interviewed at Sheffield, Imperial and Manchester but didn't get any offer. I can't decide whether to put down Sheffield or Birmingham as my 3rd choice this year, considering the risk with band 3. Which of the two is less riskier in your opinion?

Also, do you think I should retake one of my subjects in November in order to apply to Manchester or King's? They require 766 for IB. I have 666. If I retake, would Liverpool and Leicester still count my achieved grades and offer me an interview? I would be grateful if you could confirm that. Thanks again.

Sheffield is the safer option for an interview - what feedback did they give you post interview this year? Is it stuff you can improve on? You have experience of their interview set up
Both use SJT as a virtual MMI station, so this should not affect the choice

I would not resit, given you have plenty of choices, but depends how badly you want those med schoolsa nd the hassle of resits! I do not know for certain how resits will be dealt with, but cannot see it will affect Leicester and Liverpool, as they will check you have made their minimum requirements, and you have. I would, however, email them to be sure
Original post by GANFYD
Just you, me and @ecolier here, then!

:grouphugs: :party:

:grouphugs: For now!

I give it a day before this thread is as chock-full of stats posts as the last one!
I need some help in where to apply:
stats
ucat: 670 average, B1
Alevel predicted: A*A*A*

My issue is that mostplaces that only use ucat have a threshold of around 677 or 680 so its quite unpredictable. Im going to apply for notts, liverpool and queens belfast because they have a strong emphasis of gcses for selection for interview.
I really want to apply for birmingham but although i wouldnt have got an interview last year, I would have got one the previous 3 years. And their admissions is slightly chaning this year which isnt awful for me but its a bit risky.

Considering cardiff but they dont have much information on how academics and ps are scored sooo any advice for my final option??!!?!
Reply 27
Original post by heather1103
I need some help in where to apply:
stats
ucat: 670 average, B1
Alevel predicted: A*A*A*

My issue is that mostplaces that only use ucat have a threshold of around 677 or 680 so its quite unpredictable. Im going to apply for notts, liverpool and queens belfast because they have a strong emphasis of gcses for selection for interview.
I really want to apply for birmingham but although i wouldnt have got an interview last year, I would have got one the previous 3 years. And their admissions is slightly chaning this year which isnt awful for me but its a bit risky.

Considering cardiff but they dont have much information on how academics and ps are scored sooo any advice for my final option??!!?!

I am not sure what you mean by "most places that only use ucat have a threshold of around 677 or 680 so its quite unpredictable"? Only 2 UCAT med schools have generally had higher cut offs than this

Cardiff score GCSEs A*/8/9 = 3, A/7 = 2, etc. They rejected people with 9 A* equivalents lasy year, using PS and UCAT as a cut off, apparently

Look at Sheffield, Manchester, ARU, SGUL, Plymouth, Aston, Lincoln, St Andrews, Aberdeen, Dundee, you sit right on Glasgow's recent cut offs, Exeter, HYMS, UEA
Hi Application Gods! Still busy hoovering up your meticulous advice, thanks so much. I know you're busy and I've taken up loads of time already so obviously answer the wee youngsters first and if you get a second then brilliant, really appreciate it.

Son got A*A*A*A achieved A level (maths,chem, bio, French)
UCAT 2860
VR - 520
DM - 700
QR - 750
AR - 890
AAAA AS level
GCSE 5A*5A
Fairly sure he'll be applying QUB, Glasgow, Newcastle, Liverpool

I love a good worry! Obviously going to check the mid ucat figures seeing as everyone is performing so well but just wondering what your thoughts are on a few things.

1. Would his low VR score (eldest boy wonder decided the night before his brother's ucat that telling local ghost stories would be a good idea and kept him awake until 6am) have any ill affect, just eg SGUL like their sub sets above 500? He had super long-winded historical texts that he couldn't pretend to find interesting!!
2. Is Glasgow now a tad risky with the deferrals and the caps on RUK applicants?
3. He was rejected post interview last year from QUB, he was very naive and had no idea how to prep and the relevance of reflection, how to connect his work experience and skills to those necessary for med school. Looking at the list of questions on the ISC website I'd say this is going to be a long 3 months!
My question is this.. would QUB be willing to give him another chance now that he has completely researched how what and why or do you think they might regard him as a bit iffy and not offer him another interview?
Apologies for this long post I just wanted to get this bit out of the way and cleared up. Have had the best laughs going through this thread this week (L plates 😂) still wonderful people providing wonderful help.

Thank you all.
My teacher had a meeting with Cardiff uni admissions tutor the other day and they said they rarely look at UCAT scores, if ever. I don't know whether to believe this, but then again, it fits with their idgaf attitude smh
Reply 30
Hi, really struggling at narrowing down uni's
My stats are
GCSE's = 9999776B
Predicted A-levels = A*AA
UCAT = 2810 (702.5) Band 1

seriously considering HYMS, Keele, Sheffield and UEA
also thinking about Nottingham, Leicester, Lincoln, Southampton and Edge Hill
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Reply 31
Original post by GANFYD
What are your thoughts? Where have you narrowed it down to?

Shortlisted : St. George, Plymouth, Southampton & KMMS...any other Univ where I can apply with these grades?
Original post by GANFYD
NOoooooo. It takes too long!
I am picking out the lovely, polite, thought out questions and dealing with those!

I'm so sorry 🙈 I thought I was just asking a question on this thread but it appears to have got lost. It's not important but if you find it somewhere else I really am extremely sorry for me being totally useless at using these forums! I received a chatterbox badge for it I assume that means it was too long!! Forgive me it's def put me off posting you can all relax 😆
Reply 33
Original post by Interfering Mum
Hi Application Gods! Still busy hoovering up your meticulous advice, thanks so much. I know you're busy and I've taken up loads of time already so obviously answer the wee youngsters first and if you get a second then brilliant, really appreciate it.

Son got A*A*A*A achieved A level (maths,chem, bio, French)
UCAT 2860
VR - 520
DM - 700
QR - 750
AR - 890
AAAA AS level
GCSE 5A*5A
Fairly sure he'll be applying QUB, Glasgow, Newcastle, Liverpool

I love a good worry! Obviously going to check the mid ucat figures seeing as everyone is performing so well but just wondering what your thoughts are on a few things.

1. Would his low VR score (eldest boy wonder decided the night before his brother's ucat that telling local ghost stories would be a good idea and kept him awake until 6am) have any ill affect, just eg SGUL like their sub sets above 500? He had super long-winded historical texts that he couldn't pretend to find interesting!!
2. Is Glasgow now a tad risky with the deferrals and the caps on RUK applicants?
3. He was rejected post interview last year from QUB, he was very naive and had no idea how to prep and the relevance of reflection, how to connect his work experience and skills to those necessary for med school. Looking at the list of questions on the ISC website I'd say this is going to be a long 3 months!
My question is this.. would QUB be willing to give him another chance now that he has completely researched how what and why or do you think they might regard him as a bit iffy and not offer him another interview?
Apologies for this long post I just wanted to get this bit out of the way and cleared up. Have had the best laughs going through this thread this week (L plates 😂) still wonderful people providing wonderful help.

Thank you all.

1) Only SGUL care about a minimum subtest score, AFAIK

2) The hassle with Scottish med schools is getting an interview, as fewer places can mean higher cut offs. THey fo have fewe RUK applicants per place, on the whole. Your son will get an interview no bother, and then interview to offer ratios are similar for RUK and Home (Scottish) applicants - though these are generally on the lower side compared to English unis, with Glasgow just under 50% (St Andrews is up nearer 80%), this may be relevant if he is not so great at interviews

3) QUB's policy on reapplicants
"Applicants who have already Satisfied Academic Requirements (Please also refer to 3.18 below)
Applications from candidates who have already achieved the normal academic requirements in their second level examinations, for example AAA at A-level plus A in a fourth AS and are applying for Medicine for a second time, will only be considered if they included Queen’s as one of their Medical choices first time round ie evidence of commitment to the University is important from the outset. Such candidates who have satisfied the subject requirements, will be awarded 36 points at Stage 1. Points will then be awarded according to performance in UCAT to give an overall score for shortlisting purposes. UCAT must be retaken as it is only valid for one application cycle.
Applications from candidates who have already achieved the normal academic requirements in their second level examinations (as above) will also be considered if they have never applied through UCAS for medicine before and are therefore applying to this subject for the first time because of a change in career plans."

They will score him, and if he meets the cut off (he will) then they will interview him, and the experience last year might just make it a bit easier this year.

My advice for interviews is to have bullet point answers for all common questions and then to group reflections on WEx etc into headings such as Leadership, Teamworking, Empathy, Communication, Problem solving (as per the MSC document) and bullet point anything relevant under these headings (many will fit into more than one, eg my son used Rugby Captain for teamworking, leadership, communication and problem solving!). Do not rehearse full answers, or the tendency is to try and give the answer you have learned, which may not be exactly what was asked, but practice answering questions as many times as possible and draw on the bullet point examples already thought out. It then becomes easy to answer any question on these subjects without sounding over-rehearsed and stilted (at which point, I just change my question and people flounder). Also to video yourself answering questions, so you can see those annoying little habits that distract an interviewer and shows you the importance of smiling! I love the smiley ones, it shows they are at least trying to make the most of the experience!

And well thought out, polite, reasoned questions are more than welcome - it is what we are here for! And the entertainmnet value, of course :biggrin:

Also think this may be better in another thread ?
Hello everyone. I am aware there are a lot of people awaiting advice but I would be very grateful for some advice
GCSE - 9 x 1 English Lang
8 x 4 Biology, Chem, Physics, Computing
7 x 3 Maths, English Lit, History
6 x 1 Spanish
A level - taking Biology Chemistry Maths - hoping to be predicted AAA
EPQ pending but hoping for an A
Have lots of volunteering and work experience
UCAT - 2480 SJT band 2
I go to a good selective school and am not in any widening participation/contextual categories.
I am very interested in Keele and Sunderland. I thinks the other options open to me are Kent & Medway and Aston.
Can anyone advise if these are ok? Or if there are any others I should consider given my average GCSE grades and low UCAT?
Really appreciate the help.Thanks
Reply 35
Original post by Interfering Mum
I'm so sorry 🙈 I thought I was just asking a question on this thread but it appears to have got lost. It's not important but if you find it somewhere else I really am extremely sorry for me being totally useless at using these forums! I received a chatterbox badge for it I assume that means it was too long!! Forgive me it's def put me off posting you can all relax 😆

:lol:
Have found it and answered it on the Newcastle thread (and asked ecolier to move it!)
Ask all the questions you like, they are always highly relevant and politely asked :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Medi-cry
My teacher had a meeting with Cardiff uni admissions tutor the other day and they said they rarely look at UCAT scores, if ever. I don't know whether to believe this, but then again, it fits with their idgaf attitude smh

Well their admissions tutor told me, personally, when pushed and I refused to accept their bland "we encourage all applicants to apply/we primarily select using GCSEs/UCAT is not a high priority for us/we encourage well-rounded applicants" that GCSEs are scored, then PS is checked to ensure it meets their entry requirements, then UCAT is used in a tiebreaker. They also said it was used as a tiebreaker post interview, too. Otherwise, I am not sure how they decided which full academic marks applicants to reject last year?
Somebody is being a tad misleading somewhere, and I know what I would do in that situation! If you cannot respect your applicants enough to be completely upfront about how you decide who to interview, then I would not be applying!
Reply 37
Original post by hbabu
Shortlisted : St. George, Plymouth, Southampton & KMMS...any other Univ where I can apply with these grades?

Need to put all your grades and all info in one post so it can be reviewed and everyone needs to remember people are doing this voluntarily, so good manners are very helpful in improving motivation to respond :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by OllieZ
Hi, really struggling at narrowing down uni's
My stats are
GCSE's = 9999776B
Predicted A-levels = A*AA
UCAT = 2810 (702.5) Band 1

seriously considering HYMS, Keele, Sheffield and UEA
also thinking about Nottingham, Leicester, Lincoln, Southampton and Edge Hill
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Depends a bit on your GCSE and UCAT breakdown, so would be helpful if you could post all stats together

@ecolier, is it worth editing the first post with a prefered format for people to present their questions? It is impossible to flick backwards and forwards between different posts to find stats and takes longer when bits are missing?
Need GCSEs and breakdown, A levels and predictions, UCAT and breakdown, SJT band and research done/preferences
Original post by GANFYD
1) Only SGUL care about a minimum subtest score, AFAIK

2) The hassle with Scottish med schools is getting an interview, as fewer places can mean higher cut offs. THey fo have fewe RUK applicants per place, on the whole. Your son will get an interview no bother, and then interview to offer ratios are similar for RUK and Home (Scottish) applicants - though these are generally on the lower side compared to English unis, with Glasgow just under 50% (St Andrews is up nearer 80%), this may be relevant if he is not so great at interviews

3) QUB's policy on reapplicants
"Applicants who have already Satisfied Academic Requirements (Please also refer to 3.18 below)
Applications from candidates who have already achieved the normal academic requirements in their second level examinations, for example AAA at A-level plus A in a fourth AS and are applying for Medicine for a second time, will only be considered if they included Queen’s as one of their Medical choices first time round ie evidence of commitment to the University is important from the outset. Such candidates who have satisfied the subject requirements, will be awarded 36 points at Stage 1. Points will then be awarded according to performance in UCAT to give an overall score for shortlisting purposes. UCAT must be retaken as it is only valid for one application cycle.
Applications from candidates who have already achieved the normal academic requirements in their second level examinations (as above) will also be considered if they have never applied through UCAS for medicine before and are therefore applying to this subject for the first time because of a change in career plans."

They will score him, and if he meets the cut off (he will) then they will interview him, and the experience last year might just make it a bit easier this year.

My advice for interviews is to have bullet point answers for all common questions and then to group reflections on WEx etc into headings such as Leadership, Teamworking, Empathy, Communication, Problem solving (as per the MSC document) and bullet point anything relevant under these headings (many will fit into more than one, eg my son used Rugby Captain for teamworking, leadership, communication and problem solving!). Do not rehearse full answers, or the tendency is to try and give the answer you have learned, which may not be exactly what was asked, but practice answering questions as many times as possible and draw on the bullet point examples already thought out. It then becomes easy to answer any question on these subjects without sounding over-rehearsed and stilted (at which point, I just change my question and people flounder). Also to video yourself answering questions, so you can see those annoying little habits that distract an interviewer and shows you the importance of smiling! I love the smiley ones, it shows they are at least trying to make the most of the experience!

And well thought out, polite, reasoned questions are more than welcome - it is what we are here for! And the entertainmnet value, of course :biggrin:

Also think this may be better in another thread @ecolier?

Thank you so much this is brilliant and he will be reading it 20 times over! I don't think he should be awful at the interview this time as he has a bit of a clue, whereas last time I think he was under the impression they were just making sure he wasn't an axe murderer! Lots of work to be done (on his part now!) but he's more than happy to work on that. We're from N. Ireland so have to consider flights and travel .. as a mum I tend to factor in wet windy Sunday nights flying into airports and trying to get a connecting 2hr bus journey lol! Thanxamil for finding this post I was sweating trying to locate it God knows where I put it -I've that many tsr windows open 😆 I'd just discovered how to find stuff and saw it on the Newcastle one! You are worth your weight in gold. I had read all the QUB website but I wasn't sure whether to take them at face value, I was being a bit more snoopy and underhand and hoping to get your gut feeling about past awful interviews when the student is green as grass! Hopefully the extra year will help as he's the youngest in his year. Again your help is invaluable and I'm totally sorry about this wayward post. I hope it doesn't mess everything up. Enjoy your weekend 😊

Latest

Trending

Trending