The Student Room Group

How skinny girls stay skinny?

Do you still enjoy the snacks you like? Do you watch what you eat? What’s your secret? Is it all depending on metabolism? Do you have have to substitute a meal in order to eat your favourite snack?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m jealous about that too! 😂. My sister eats more than me but is skinner
The difference between a slow and fast metabolism is 200 kcals at most, literally a kitkat bar.
Reply 3
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
The difference between a slow and fast metabolism is 200 kcals at most, literally a kitkat bar.

But a lot of people have different body types don’t they? Like endomorph and stuff like that
I honestly have no clue, but it’s not as good as you think, the whole being thin thing. My body just deals with food weirdly, and I’m underweight even with 4 meals a day, but to other people I just ‘look’ thin, if that makes sense? I don’t want people to end up seeing someone like me and think that it’s normal, when it isn’t, and it’s not healthy at all. Unless you are classified as medically overweight then you are perfectly healthy, which should be the definition of being beautiful. Of course if you want to lose weight for yourself, then just eat healthy and exercise regularly, that’s the best way to do it, and don’t cut your calorie intake anymore than you need to, in order to keep your energy up. Substituting meals for snacks is not a good idea, just cutting the snacks most of the time is better than missing a meal for a measly piece of junk food. If you’re set on losing a little weight, then good luck! But remember that as long as you’re healthy that should be good enough already.
Do you mean slim?
Mostly a mix of: eating a balanced diet, daily exercise, restricting consumption of saturated fats & high sugar content, good genetics and a high metabolic rate.

I'm 25 and still the same weight I was at 13.
I eat two meals a day, drink plenty of unflavoured still water, do lots of daily exercise and mostly homecook from scratch.
Restrict consumption of snacks, takeaways and dairy products to a couple of times a month.
Reasonable portion sizes, no dessert course served with daily meals and grilling instead of frying.
Original post by Anonymous
But a lot of people have different body types don’t they? Like endomorph and stuff like that

Bodytypes are not fixed, an ectomorph that works out and eats well will be able to get his body type to mesomorph, for example. Somatotypical taxonomy (the termimology of body types) was developed by an American psychologist during wartime as an attempt to categorize people and temperament based on their body characteristics. A theory that has long since been rejected, but has proven to be impossibly stubborn.

The idea of endomorphs/ectomorphs was invented by a psychologist in the 1930s who thought that you could tell people’s intelligence and character by the shape of their body.

People do have different body types, like where they store fat or how tall they are, but that doesn’t mean they can’t lose weight. Metabolism and conditions like PCOS can have a small effect, but it is just a small effect - maybe affecting energy consumption by 200kcal. People with a slow metabolism or medical conditions can still lose weight or maintain a low weight.

People who stay skinny are just eating no more calories than they burn.
Original post by sakura_23
I honestly have no clue, but it’s not as good as you think, the whole being thin thing. My body just deals with food weirdly, and I’m underweight even with 4 meals a day, but to other people I just ‘look’ thin, if that makes sense? I don’t want people to end up seeing someone like me and think that it’s normal, when it isn’t, and it’s not healthy at all. Unless you are classified as medically overweight then you are perfectly healthy, which should be the definition of being beautiful. Of course if you want to lose weight for yourself, then just eat healthy and exercise regularly, that’s the best way to do it, and don’t cut your calorie intake anymore than you need to, in order to keep your energy up. Substituting meals for snacks is not a good idea, just cutting the snacks most of the time is better than missing a meal for a measly piece of junk food. If you’re set on losing a little weight, then good luck! But remember that as long as you’re healthy that should be good enough already.

Bang two protein shakes a day.. one shake a hour before you go to sleep
Do you still enjoy the snacks you like? Do you watch what you eat? What’s your secret? Is it all depending on metabolism? Do you have have to substitute a meal in order to eat your favourite snack?

Honestly, I've always been skinny my whole life. People thought my mum was starving me, and she used to try to fatten me up as a result. But no matter what I eat, pizzas, cheese, chocolate, peanut butter, my weight is still the same :/ I am glad in a way that I am skinny, because people seem to really dislike being fat! But in another sense... one day in my 20s or 30s, my metabolism is going to give up on me, and when it does, I will have had no preparation for it, as I've always been able to eat what I want. In some sense, its good to have consequences for eating the wrong foods. However, I think if you are "looking" at your body to measure your health... well... there are better ways to measure it. In my opinion, you should nourish your body the amount it needs, and with the right foods, then it will take whatever shape it is naturally supposed to take. As long as you know you are eating well, dont worry about what you look like (unless you are literally obese). Have you tried calculating your BMI based on your height and weight? You can find a calculator online on the NHS website, one made specifically for teens too! You will probably find that you are a healthy weight already. There is no point trying to get "skinny", as for some people this just isnt possible, just try to be healthy and happy! (And trust me, being skinny does not automatically = happy, we all have things we are self conscious about regardless, my list is endless lol). Good luck OP, xx go easy on yourself!

Edit: I try not to eat junk anymore, I'm a vegan now. And come to think of it, I've heard that vegans have the healthiest average bmi
Bodytypes are not fixed, an ectomorph that works out and eats well will be able to get his body type to mesomorph, for example. Somatotypical taxonomy (the termimology of body types) was developed by an American psychologist during wartime as an attempt to categorize people and temperament based on their body characteristics. A theory that has long since been rejected, but has proven to be impossibly stubborn.

PRSOM.

I’m fairly sure it’s just stubborn because people find it easier to say “I can’t control my weight! I’m just a natural endomorph!” than to eat less chocolate.

I used to have a really defeatist attitude to weight loss because of all that kind of pseudoscience... then I discovered it’s all just calories in v calories out, and went from obese to a healthy weight :h:

:O omg seriously? I dont believe this.. because I could literally eat the exact same as my friend, but I eat an extra 30 kit kats and she would be fat and me skinny. Perhaps my metabolism is REALLY fast? Like, I can literally eat ENDLESSLY and still not gain weight??
Edit: By this logic.. people who say they simply cannot gain weight must be lying, otherwise they would've managed to gain by now because 200cal is not that hard to get at all!
Original post by nursingstudentuk
:O omg seriously? I dont believe this.. because I could literally eat the exact same as my friend, but I eat an extra 30 kit kats and she would be fat and me skinny. Perhaps my metabolism is REALLY fast? Like, I can literally eat ENDLESSLY and still not gain weight??

You’re probably eating less than you think - or your friend’s eating more than she thinks. Or there’s another factor, like you’re a lot taller or doing more exercise.

Most people don’t judge how much they’re eating very accurately. Have you seen the show Secret Eaters? Everyone on there is convinced that their portions are healthy, and they’re somehow still gaining weight. Then the secret cameras reveal how many “hidden” calories they eat (like a “salad” that’s got so many toppings and dressings that it has 700 calories) and how many little snacks they eat.
Original post by Desideri
You’re probably eating less than you think - or your friend’s eating more than she thinks. Or there’s another factor, like you’re a lot taller or doing more exercise.

Most people don’t judge how much they’re eating very accurately. Have you seen the show Secret Eaters? Everyone on there is convinced that their portions are healthy, and they’re somehow still gaining weight. Then the secret cameras reveal how many “hidden” calories they eat (like a “salad” that’s got so many toppings and dressings that it has 700 calories) and how many little snacks they eat.

I suppose, now that I think about it, its 4pm and I haven't eaten today :biggrin::biggrin: I suppose lol. And I do get full easily. I guess to some degree at least, we all have some control over our bodies. I'm just shocked to hear that the difference could really be so little! I'm gunna look it up lol
Original post by Desideri
PRSOM.

I’m fairly sure it’s just stubborn because people find it easier to say “I can’t control my weight! I’m just a natural endomorph!” than to eat less chocolate.

I used to have a really defeatist attitude to weight loss because of all that kind of pseudoscience... then I discovered it’s all just calories in v calories out, and went from obese to a healthy weight :h:

Exactly, people would rather blame things they don't understand rather than be accountable. Well done on your weight loss btw!
Edit: By this logic.. people who say they simply cannot gain weight must be lying, otherwise they would've managed to gain by now because 200cal is not that hard to get at all!

My reply would be exactly what @Desideri said.
It doesn't matter if your skinny or fat or curvy. All it matters is your personality
I suppose, now that I think about it, its 4pm and I haven't eaten today :biggrin::biggrin: I suppose lol. And I do get full easily. I guess to some degree at least, we all have some control over our bodies. I'm just shocked to hear that the difference could really be so little! I'm gunna look it up lol

Here are some links:
https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
https://examine.com/nutrition/is-my-slow-metabolism-stalling-my-weight-loss/

They eat less calories (or just the right amount to maintain) than they burn. It's as simple as that.

As I've gotten older, the weight does pile on faster when I pig out for a while, but I nip it in the bud as soon as I can. But if I put some determination into it, I will lose some weight. Even just walking more and cutting out snacks, only eating meals is enough to start dropping some weight. If you combine a lower calorie intake with a good exercise regime, the weight will come off.
It's not easy to maintain though and you need to be psychologically prepared to commit to it. A lot of overweight people seem to have an addiction to food or use it as a comfort. Emotional support and therapy for emotional eating is always a good starting point for weight loss.

So the secret is usually watching what you eat all the time and exercise. Metabolism very rarely comes into it. If a skinny girl ate what an overweight person ate every day, they would gain weight too.

There is a lady on YouTube called Grackle who has a very fast metabolism but she eats hundreds, if not thousands, more calories than most women. Yet she is rail thin- we're talking a UK size 4 or below. If most women ate the same amount as her, they'd be overweight. She doesn't do a lot of exercise either.

Quick Reply

Latest