The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi,

My stats for GCSE: 3 A*s 6As 1B
A-Level: A*A*A (achieved)
UCAT: 2780, SJT Band 1

I was thinking of Glasgow, Newcastle, QUB and Manchester/Sheffield. Would this uni selection be suitable for my stats? Any input/recommendations would be really appreciated!
I have GCSES 9 A* A* 8888776 ( 6 in maths )Predicted AAAUCAT 2710
Reply 82
Original post by GANFYD
You didn't need to go that far! :lol: Just a please and thank you, is nice :smile:

SGUL, Plymouth and Southampton should be fine
KMMS heavily contextualise all applicants and do not say how, so I have no idea of what voodoo magic they use and therefore what would make a strong application

Also look at ARU, Aston, UEA, possibly Lincoln (depends on UCAT and GCSE breakdown and them releasing the cut off this year), Manchester, St Andrews, you sit right on Glasgow's cut off, Aberdeen, you are close to Kings likely cut off (though your B3 might be the clincher for you to miss out)

Thank you.
Original post by GANFYD
Liverpool are very GCSE heavy this year, so noody knows what score is needed, but you have at least 1 6 in there, so it will drop your score a bit
Manchester need top 1/3 UCAT score - you are unlikely to make that, but check deciles when they come out
Glasgow's cut off has been 2690 the last couple of years, so again, not likely to make it

Look at ARU, SGUL, Plymouth, UEA, Lincoln, Aston.
Keele and Sunderland are options if you have good material for their R&R form

Thank you very much!! I’ll look into them
Reply 84
Original post by GANFYD
Barts - work out your UCAS tariff and compare it and you UCAT to successful scores last year. I will say it felt a little lower than this on the threads this year, so keep an eye out for this year's stats to be released. They use SJT as about 5% of post interview scoring, so you would have to so better than others for an offer
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/
Newcastle and Kings should be OK, neither use SJT post interview
Imperial is BMAT, but I think they will offer an A* in Chem or Bio

Bristol would also be fine
Only Barts use A levels at all, beyond minimum requirements, and even that is only as part of a UCAS tariff, so nobody is going to be looking at your predictions beyond ticking a box, so do not determine if you are competitieve or not

Thank you for the reply. In terms of GCSES and SJT do you feel Kings would be a competitive choice. I heard Kings take SJT slightly into consideration.
When you say offer an A* in Chem or Bio, do you mean I'd be morelikely to gain an offer if I had an A* in Chem or Bio, or that my my offer may require an A* in Chem or Bio.
I'' probably put Queens down, as my score seems competitive and idk hpw much a difference 5% may make.
Original post by GANFYD
It's fine for mum's to post (it is a mum replying!), but I do hope you are getting them to do some of the work for themselves?
Please read the first post of this thread for the info needed

Thank you! We’ll both take a look together 😀
Reply 86
@GANFYD Hey its me again sorry, do you think with my stats UCAT 2650 band 1,. 2.1 in biomedical science, AABb in alevel, AAABBBBBBC in GCSE, undergraduate, SGUL, ARU and leicester atr safe enough for me to add KMMS. because KMMS is much closer to home for me, so easier to commute if I can get in.
Reply 87
Hi
I did my UCAT 2770 overall whch is 693 average and Band 2
GCSES
9 RS
8 Bio
8 Business
8 Maths
7 Chem
7 Physics
7 English Lit
7 French
7 History
6 English Lang

AS i got A Bio A Chem B Physics C Maths

Im hoping to get 3 A star prediciton for A2. If i get three a star prediction would my stats be good enough for Kings or Birmingham. I put my info in Birmigham offer calculator and it said i was likely ot get an offer but i dont know how accurate this is
Thanks
Reply 88
Original post by WorriedPJmama
Thank you! We’ll both take a look together 😀

Post all stats in the format shown on the first post of this thread, and people will try and advise :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by fafawf
Thank you for the reply. In terms of GCSES and SJT do you feel Kings would be a competitive choice. I heard Kings take SJT slightly into consideration.
When you say offer an A* in Chem or Bio, do you mean I'd be morelikely to gain an offer if I had an A* in Chem or Bio, or that my my offer may require an A* in Chem or Bio.
I'' probably put Queens down, as my score seems competitive and idk hpw much a difference 5% may make.

Kings should be fine.

The offer requirement is A* in chem or bio, I believe
Reply 90
Original post by Sabrr
@GANFYD Hey its me again sorry, do you think with my stats UCAT 2650 band 1,. 2.1 in biomedical science, AABb in alevel, AAABBBBBBC in GCSE, undergraduate, SGUL, ARU and leicester atr safe enough for me to add KMMS. because KMMS is much closer to home for me, so easier to commute if I can get in.

Not a grad expert, as I keep saying. Plus KMMS heavily contextualise all applicants and do not release how, so even harder to work out what sort of voodoo magic they do to decide who to invite for info.
I do know they only take degrees into consideration if achieved, otherwise you have to meet standard A level requirements
my stats:
GCSEs:
999- geography, spanish, English lit, 88888- maths, English language, chemistry, biology, physics, religious studies, 6- music, 4 - art

A level predicteds:
A - geography A - Biology B - chemistry C - English lit

UCAT -
590 VR
700 DM
660 QR
730 AR
Band 2 SJT
670 average
total - 2680

contextual: Im a SEN student

thinking of: ARU, UEA, Queens Belfast , Hull York

any advice is helpful
I sat my UCAT today and did really bad. Not sure what happened and have spent the rest of the day going through different degrees of emotions of anger and upset at myself but I have now calmed down and need to set up my plan of action. So please can you advise on whether I have any hope of getting into any medical school for 2021 or should I just concentrate on my A levels and try again for 2022 entry. My stats are:
GCSE'S
Biology 8
Chemistry 8
English Lit 8
Physics 7
Maths 7
History 7
English 6
Art 6
DT 6

UCAT 2190 😥

A level predicted A*AA in Psychology Chemistry Biology

@GANFYD I'm the one with the dodgy eye from yesterday...which is still dodgy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Kings and SGUL would be fine
Work out your UCAS tariff and compare your stats to past successful combinations for Barts
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/

Sheffield and Leicester should be fine
All I can say about Birmingham is that you would have got an interview last year, even if non-contextual, but they have changed their selection process this year and your 7s in Lit and Lang cost you points

You can also look at Newcastle, Manchester, Nottingham, Lincoln, Southampton, St Andrews, ARU, Plymouth, UEA, Aston, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee

Ok thanks very much. Appreciate it.
Reply 94
Original post by jm29
Hi,

My stats for GCSE: 3 A*s 6As 1B
A-Level: A*A*A (achieved)
UCAT: 2780, SJT Band 1

I was thinking of Glasgow, Newcastle, QUB and Manchester/Sheffield. Would this uni selection be suitable for my stats? Any input/recommendations would be really appreciated!

They should all be fine
Reply 95
Original post by awab68
Hi
I did my UCAT 2770 overall whch is 693 average and Band 2
GCSES
9 RS
8 Bio
8 Business
8 Maths
7 Chem
7 Physics
7 English Lit
7 French
7 History
6 English Lang

AS i got A Bio A Chem B Physics C Maths

Im hoping to get 3 A star prediciton for A2. If i get three a star prediction would my stats be good enough for Kings or Birmingham. I put my info in Birmigham offer calculator and it said i was likely ot get an offer but i dont know how accurate this is
Thanks

Neither Kings nor Birmingham will look at your predictions beyond meeting minimum requirements
Your stats look OK for Kings.
Are you on Birmingham's contextual list, as that is the only way you would have got aninterview last year? If so, what is your total score?
Reply 96
Original post by Crumble28
I sat my UCAT today and did really bad. Not sure what happened and have spent the rest of the day going through different degrees of emotions of anger and upset at myself but I have now calmed down and need to set up my plan of action. So please can you advise on whether I have any hope of getting into any medical school for 2021 or should I just concentrate on my A levels and try again for 2022 entry. My stats are:
GCSE'S
Biology 8
Chemistry 8
English Lit 8
Physics 7
Maths 7
History 7
English 6
Art 6
DT 6

UCAT 2190 😥

A level predicted A*AA in Psychology Chemistry Biology

@GANFYD I'm the one with the dodgy eye from yesterday...which is still dodgy.

So sorry to hear that :frown:
Unfortunately, your UCAT is below the 3rd decile-ish cut off needed for places like Keele and Sunderland, that look at their version of the PS and your GCSEs are not strong enough to compensate at those that are more GCSE-heavy, I fear.
In previous years Lincoln and UEA say they have interviewed all eligible people who applied, but I do not think that has been the case this year, nor do I expect it to be next year.
You can still sit the BMAT and places like Lancaster and BSMS are very accessible.

Otherwise, as you say, kill your grades and focus on UCAT for next year as many people perform much better at a second sitting (and when both eyes are functioning fine!)
Reply 97
Original post by GANFYD
Neither Kings nor Birmingham will look at your predictions beyond meeting minimum requirements
Your stats look OK for Kings.
Are you on Birmingham's contextual list, as that is the only way you would have got aninterview last year? If so, what is your total score?

I didnt recieve an offer from birmingham they have an offer calculator on their website which tells you if you would be likely to get one. In terms of ok for Kings so i have a solid chance to get into Kings? Also if i had to apply to one of the two which would my stats be most suited for. Thank You
Reply 98
Original post by therealbeyonceee
my stats:
GCSEs:
999- geography, spanish, English lit, 88888- maths, English language, chemistry, biology, physics, religious studies, 6- music, 4 - art

A level predicteds:
A - geography A - Biology B - chemistry C - English lit

UCAT -
590 VR
700 DM
660 QR
730 AR
Band 2 SJT
670 average
total - 2680

contextual: Im a SEN student

thinking of: ARU, UEA, Queens Belfast , Hull York

any advice is helpful

I do not know about WP/contextual flags or whether you are entitled to any, so will comment as if you were a standard applicant

ARU and UEA should be fine
I make your QUB score 30 and cut off was 32 last year, but with the re-alignment of GCSE grades in NI, it may drop a little
You should get an interview at HYMS but they use SJT for 20% of post interview score, so this would put you at a slight disadvantage

Also look at Plymouth, Lincoln, Aston, Southampton, St Andrews, Manchester, you sit right on Glasgow's previous cut offs, SGUL
Reply 99
Original post by awab68
I didnt recieve an offer from birmingham they have an offer calculator on their website which tells you if you would be likely to get one. In terms of ok for Kings so i have a solid chance to get into Kings? Also if i had to apply to one of the two which would my stats be most suited for. Thank You

I compared your stats to those who got an interview last year and you woul dnot have made the non-contextual cut off and would have been just above the contextual one, so it depends on how many contextual points you have?
You have a good chance for an interview at Kings

Latest

Trending

Trending