The Student Room Group

Guide: How are admissions viewing Summer 2021 resits?

Hi Everyone

Over on the autumn resits thread, there has been a lot of discussion about how unis are viewing resits in Summer 2021, and whether unis will let you mix/match resits in the autumn and the summer.

We decided it would be useful to have a thread to collate this information.

If you have information relevant to this thread, or think information in this post is incorrect, please quote or @ me so I can update this post!

Do bear in mind that most information in this post is hearsay from TSR- I am not checking with unis myself directly! So if you are unsure, you should contact the unis directly.

The default is that unis will not penalise students for resitting in Summer 2021, and you can sit some exams in the autumn and some in the summer. However, if you sit the same exam in the summer, that would be viewed as a resit.

Med Schools

The default for med schools is not to consider Autumn 2020 exams as resits BUT they will consider Summer 2021 exams as resits.

The following unis have said they will treat Summer 2021 exams as a first sit:
Plymouth
Keele

Other Unis

LSE have said that all exams must be taken in one sitting- i.e. you cannot mix and match sitting one subject in the autumn and another in the summer.

LSE have also said: "Candidates who are unhappy with their calculated grades received in summer 2020 will have the opportunity to 're-sit' the exam. You are expected to sit the exam as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so (i.e. Autumn 2020). We will not consider exams taken in Autumn 2020 as re-sits and you will not be disadvantaged".

University of Bristol For law only, if you are resitting in the summer, you must resit all subjects. (Sounds like they may have changed their mind on this, so check with the uni directly).

Please let me know of any other uni policies you know about so that the list can be more complete!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcAndSpark

University of Bristol For law only, if you are resitting in the summer, you must resit all subjects.

Where did this info come from?
Original post by McGinger
Where did this info come from?

It's on the autumn resit thread- as I say so far this is all hearsay from the forums, so you should ring up and check with the uni too if you are unsure.
Reply 3
Update: I was the person who made this known about Bristol Law from a reply I had with an advisor on Bristol’s twitter page. I have asked the same question again and have since received a different response. The new response is:

1. You do not need to sit all your qualifications in one sitting, so you can apply with a mixture of grades you have already received and predicted grades where you will be sitting the exam after you have applied.

2. You can decide whether you would like to resit any previous A-levels you have sat or whether you would like to sit new A levels.

No.2 point is specific to our situation as my daughter has decided to resit one A level and complete another ‘new’ A level within the year. The only way the school would allow her back was as a full time student and she did not want to resit the other 2 A-levels.

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation. I plan to email them directly when it comes time to apply and just double check, of course even though they will accept applications there is no certainty resit applicants won’t be at a disadvantage... but it looks more hopeful after this second correspondence
It's on the autumn resit thread- as I say so far this is all hearsay from the forums, so you should ring up and check with the uni too if you are unsure.

Hi Everyone

Over on the autumn resits thread, there has been a lot of discussion about how unis are viewing resits in Summer 2021, and whether unis will let you mix/match resits in the autumn and the summer.

We decided it would be useful to have a thread to collate this information.

If you have information relevant to this thread, or think information in this post is incorrect, please quote or @ me so I can update this post!

Do bear in mind that most information in this post is hearsay from TSR- I am not checking with unis myself directly! So if you are unsure, you should contact the unis directly.

The default is that unis will not penalise students for resitting in Summer 2021, and you can sit some exams in the autumn and some in the summer. However, if you sit the same exam in the summer, that would be viewed as a resit.

Med Schools

The default for med schools is not to consider Autumn 2020 exams as resits BUT they will consider Summer 2021 exams as resits.

The following unis have said they will treat Summer 2021 exams as a first sit:
Plymouth
Keele

Other Unis

LSE have said that all exams must be taken in one sitting- i.e. you cannot mix and match sitting one subject in the autumn and another in the summer.

University of Bristol For law only, if you are resitting in the summer, you must resit all subjects.

Please let me know of any other uni policies you know about so that the list can be more complete!

I only need to do one subject for med (maths, which I knew since March that I wouldn't get the A in - I got a B) but back then I decided that I'd do it in the summer....a few reasons, which I've spoken about plenty of times on other threads.
Atm, unis are unsure, but I think, with a decent reason, most (if not all) med unis will take next year as a first sit (if you don't do the autumn ones - but like I said, within good reason).
Also, this isn't one of the reasons why I am not doing it in the autumn, but I thought I'd mention it anyway: I didn't finish all content, still had a couple of chapters to go
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I have also contacted Durham regarding Law, their response was that due to it being such an unusual year it is completely understandable that candidates may want to resit in both Autumn and next summer and they would not be at a disadvantage for that.
HYMS (Medicine):
Autumn exams - First Sitting
Summer exams - Resit

Leeds (Medicine)
Summer exams - Resit

Not too sure about other universities.
Original post by MissAQA
Update: I was the person who made this known about Bristol Law from a reply I had with an advisor on Bristol’s twitter page. I have asked the same question again and have since received a different response. The new response is:

1. You do not need to sit all your qualifications in one sitting, so you can apply with a mixture of grades you have already received and predicted grades where you will be sitting the exam after you have applied.

2. You can decide whether you would like to resit any previous A-levels you have sat or whether you would like to sit new A levels.

No.2 point is specific to our situation as my daughter has decided to resit one A level and complete another ‘new’ A level within the year. The only way the school would allow her back was as a full time student and she did not want to resit the other 2 A-levels.

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation. I plan to email them directly when it comes time to apply and just double check, of course even though they will accept applications there is no certainty resit applicants won’t be at a disadvantage... but it looks more hopeful after this second correspondence

Thank you for updating!

Original post by Mckailer
HYMS (Medicine):
Summer exams - Resit

Leeds (Medicine)
Summer exams - Resit

Not too sure about other universities.

Thank you for sharing!
Original post by MissAQA
Update: : Law at Bristol

1. You do not need to sit all your qualifications in one sitting

Thanks!
I thought this was a bit odd - Bristol dropped their 'no resits' rule a few years back, and it seemed a weird moment to reinvent it.

LSE have also said: "Candidates who are unhappy with their calculated grades received in summer 2020 will have the opportunity to 're-sit' the exam. You are expected to sit the exam as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so (i.e. Autumn 2020). We will not consider exams taken in Autumn 2020 as re-sits and you will not be disadvantaged".

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/meet-visit-and-discover-LSE/COVID-19/Coronavirus-FAQs-for-prospective-applicants
Original post by harrysbar

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/meet-visit-and-discover-LSE/COVID-19/Coronavirus-FAQs-for-prospective-applicants

Thanks- I'll edit the OP.
Thanks!
I thought this was a bit odd - Bristol dropped their 'no resits' rule a few years back, and it seemed a weird moment to reinvent it.

Although it does state on Bristols website "We normally expect you to have taken three A-levels (or equivalent qualification) in one sitting. If you haven't, please ask your referee to explain the reason for this in their reference so we can take into account when considering your application"
.... so i'm still not sure :s-smilie::confused:
Original post by harrysbar

I wanted to apply but not sure now as I'm sitting all my subjects summer 2021 instead of autumn. They wouldn't give me a straight answer whether I'd be disadvantaged when I rang them to ask 🤔
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lookingzar
I wanted to apply but not sure now as I'm sitting all my subjects summer 2021 instead of autumn. They wouldn't give me a straight answer whether I'd be disadvantaged when I rang them to ask 🤔

Maybe they haven’t decided a definitive policy yet re Summer exams although the statement on their website makes it pretty clear they expect people who couldn’t sit the exams in June 2020 to sit them in October instead.

There is no hurry to apply to LSE, I would wait for further guidance from them to be issued before deciding whether or not a Summer “resit” person would be disadvantaged by applying to them.
Reply 14
Although I myself will be doing all my autumn exams in October, I've contacted Cambridge and the college I contacted (Downing) said that it's not a problem if you sit in the Summer instead of Autumn, though I didn't ask how they viewed a mix of qualifications taken in Autumn and Summer.
is there anyone going to uni but still doing an exam to improve their grade?
Original post by Lookingzar

Do you know whether or not you’ll have to cover the costs yourself or will the college???
IMPORTANT
Just announced to Agent/Advisors by UCAS :

Dual applications in 2020 and 2021
As part of our response to COVID-19, we have made some changes for the 2021 entry cycle only.
Applicants with a deferred unconditional firm (UF) place from the 2020 cycle can apply again for 2021 entry, without first withdrawing their 2020 application. We will then contact these applicants early next year, to ask them to choose which application they want to continue with for the 2021 cycle

There are also other changes in the pipeline about how Universities will process results to Autumn resits.

More details to follow.
IMPORTANT
Just announced to Agent/Advisors by UCAS :

Dual applications in 2020 and 2021
As part of our response to COVID-19, we have made some changes for the 2021 entry cycle only.
Applicants with a deferred unconditional firm (UF) place from the 2020 cycle can apply again for 2021 entry, without first withdrawing their 2020 application. We will then contact these applicants early next year, to ask them to choose which application they want to continue with for the 2021 cycle

There are also other changes in the pipeline about how Universities will process results to Autumn resits.

More details to follow.

Could you provide a link for this please
Original post by Anonymous.22
Could you provide a link for this please

No, as its behind a secure wall only accessible to Agents and Advisors.
If you tell your Careers Advisor or whoever has access to the UCAS 'dashboard' at your school, they will be able to confirm this information for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending