Ideal first automatic?

Watch
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm planning on switching from manual to automatic within next 4 months but stuck on what car to get, can spend up to £6,500 and want something with a little style but stuck on what to get lol but was looking at an Audi A3 or Focus but Audi A3s are super expensive unless high millage and focus new shape look stylish but way over £10k minimum lmao and older shapes look more of a family car.

Any ideas? currently have a corsa and want my next car to have more of a little sporty look to it.
username5395306
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
for 10k i could have a built miata... or an r33 gtst
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Steer clear of any Ford automatic. Google "Ford Class Action Lawsuit" and pretty much the whole first page of results is regarding their terrible DCT automatic gearbox which was put into Fiestas and Focuses for like a decade.

Avoid Nissan CVTs as well.

A lot of the French manufacturers were building weird dodgy automatics for a while as well.

Automatics are an absolute minefield.
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The best automatic is one that doesn't exist.

Always drive a manual.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
Steer clear of any Ford automatic. Google "Ford Class Action Lawsuit" and pretty much the whole first page of results is regarding their terrible DCT automatic gearbox which was put into Fiestas and Focuses for like a decade.
The manual box is crap also pops out of friggin reverse all the time even brand new.

I've had 2 older German autos, 1 (Audi) was having some nasty electronic stalling problems and some nasty snapping sounds on hand changes, 1 (Merc) which at 18 years shifts sweetly with barely the occasional click when i park/reverse...im buying cheaper older cars though....im always taking that risk that something expensive will go. Until then though, i;m sticking with auto, i enjoy driving so much more and i'm more comfortable (the clutch aggravates an existing injury)
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
The manual box is crap also pops out of friggin reverse all the time even brand new.

I've had 2 older German autos, 1 (Audi) was having some nasty electronic stalling problems and some nasty snapping sounds on hand changes, 1 (Merc) which at 18 years shifts sweetly with barely the occasional click when i park/reverse...im buying cheaper older cars though....im always taking that risk that something expensive will go. Until then though, i;m sticking with auto, i enjoy driving so much more and i'm more comfortable (the clutch aggravates an existing injury)
I had a mk4 Golf with the Jatco five speed auto in it - typically pretty reliable up to 200k miles but mine had a leak in the valve body and didn't shift very well.

The only auto I'll buy now would be an old Merc, not quite in my budget yet though, especially as I already have VCDS diagnostic software for VAG cars which makes running old VAG stuff much cheaper, so I'll stick to VAG for now. I did upgrade to Audi after four different VWs though.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
I had a mk4 Golf with the Jatco five speed auto in it - typically pretty reliable up to 200k miles but mine had a leak in the valve body and didn't shift very well.

The only auto I'll buy now would be an old Merc, not quite in my budget yet though, especially as I already have VCDS diagnostic software for VAG cars which makes running old VAG stuff much cheaper, so I'll stick to VAG for now. I did upgrade to Audi after four different VWs though.
Re diag stuff, at this point I think I'd happily buy & use Autel for any car I bought and buy the software/close match for it, likewise i've had great use out of their Merc STAR ripoff, it just feeds out so much useful data...even if i don;t understand a lot of it...but that just encourages me to look it up and learn

(I might need to scrap my SLK in a week for MOT reasons, I'm a bit drunk and maudlin for it :mad: )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (98)
13.73%
I'm not sure (32)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (223)
31.23%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.38%
I'm not a current university student (344)
48.18%

Watched Threads