The Student Room Group

No uni without loan?

Can you go to uni without student loan? Do u think the uni will allow a compromise? I've applied for student loan and finance but they ask for a national insurance number. I don't have one. They asked me to apply for it. But it says the number should arrive by mid October. But uni will have started by then. Very worried and confused. Pls let me know.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cute Kawaii
Can you go to uni without student loan? Do u think the uni will allow a compromise? I've applied for student loan and finance but they ask for a national insurance number. I don't have one. They asked me to apply for it. But it says the number should arrive by mid October. But uni will have started by then. Very worried and confused. Pls let me know.

yeah you can. Just pay for all the fees with your own money
Original post by royalty1702
yeah you can. Just pay for all the fees with your own money

I can't afford to pay it myself. Hence why i need the loan!
You might be able to talk to staff and explain the situation. Most universities will be no strangers to working through students' financial difficulties, so there could be an email address you can use to contact them and get things worked out.
I've heard of some places allowing delayed payment in similar situations!

Other than that, the only option is to pay out of pocket, so maybe worth checking their site just in case?

I hope things work out okay :smile:
Yes, every university allows you to pay upfront without a loan. No payment, no uni, no compromise. Why don’t you have an NI number? How do you intend to get a job without one?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by killjoytrxs
You might be able to talk to staff and explain the situation. Most universities will be no strangers to working through students' financial difficulties, so there could be an email address you can use to contact them and get things worked out.
I've heard of some places allowing delayed payment in similar situations!

Other than that, the only option is to pay out of pocket, so maybe worth checking their site just in case?

I hope things work out okay :smile:

Aawww thank youuu! I hope so too!! And i will definitely try and talk to them
Original post by RedGiant
Yes, every university allows you to pay upfront without a loan. No payment, no uni, no compromise. Why don’t you have an NI number? How do you intend to get a job without one?

Ohhh ok. R u sure there's nothing else? And I don't know tbh. I thought it was meant to b sent to me automatically.
Ohhh ok. R u sure there's nothing else? And I don't know tbh. I thought it was meant to b sent to me automatically.

Unless you have some special situation that gives you a sponsor (e.g. Cancer Research), which doesn’t apply to most, then you have to get a loan or pay up front. Why not just get a loan like most people do? If you are a British citizen then you should have gotten an NI number just before you were 16. Look up how to find a lost NI number.
(edited 3 years ago)
Why not just get a loan like most people do?

Wdym? As I've said, I've applied for it. But bcuz of not having an NI number, they won't give it.
And ok. I will try what u said about looking for a lost NI number 😀 i hope that works. I may have already tried that. I'll try again.
You’ve left it pretty late to sort it out-are you hoping to start this year?
I don’t remember every applying for one? Don’t your employers get it for you?
Original post by GabiAbi84
You’ve left it pretty late to sort it out-are you hoping to start this year?

I actually started my application etc in February.
And yes.
I wasn't sent my NI number in the post for some reason - think it got mixed up in the post when I moved house - you should be able to access it through the government gateway online. A quick Google search should come up with some info. Hope this all gets sorted for you x
Original post by Ellie Griffin
I wasn't sent my NI number in the post for some reason - think it got mixed up in the post when I moved house - you should be able to access it through the government gateway online. A quick Google search should come up with some info. Hope this all gets sorted for you x

Aahhh!! I c!!! Okayyy i will check!! Thank youuu.🤗
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Joe Frazier
I don’t remember every applying for one? Don’t your employers get it for you?

Y is that?
I don't think so 🤷🏻*♀️

Yes, your NI number should have been sent to you a couple of months before your 16th birthday.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-numbers

The turnaround time is meant to be 15 working days, but presumably is a little slower at the moment.

Having been in local authority cate at the relevant age seems to be the main reason for not having been issued with your NI number. Assuming that this doesn't apply in your case, is there any possibility that your parents opened the envelope when it came - even though it would have been addressed to you - and put the card in the proverbial 'safe place' and forgot about it?
Original post by Isinglass
Yes, your NI number should have been sent to you a couple of months before your 16th birthday.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-numbers

The turnaround time is meant to be 15 working days, but presumably is a little slower at the moment.

Having been in local authority cate at the relevant age seems to be the main reason for not having been issued with your NI number. Assuming that this doesn't apply in your case, is there any possibility that your parents opened the envelope when it came - even though it would have been addressed to you - and put the card in the proverbial 'safe place' and forgot about it?

I doubt that very much. But it's worth just checking hahaha. I'll c!😊
Original post by Isinglass

HMRC doesn’t issue NI cards anymore, just a letter. The same one can be downloaded from your personal tax account.
(edited 3 years ago)
HMRC don’t issue NI cards anymore, just a letter. The same one can be downloaded from your personal tax account.

Alright!!! I will check it out thankssss!!! 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
They used to automatically send you an NI number and card when you turned 16/17 can't remember which but now you have to apply. Once you get your NI number and add it to your application, it will be approved and payment dates will be set up. Student finance will automatically pay your tuition fees to the university and maintenance loan directly to you but it will obviously be delayed. Don't worry, I applied for student finance late in my first year. I received my first maintenance loan payment a few months after the course started and my tuition fee payment was also delayed. Nothing to worry about, the payments will just be delayed for the first semester unless they've changed things which i doubt they have its only been a few years. You can call student finance and ask them to make sure or post this again in the student finance forum and someone from student finance will get back to you next week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending