The Student Room Group

guys have I messed up?

By choosing to pursue an automatic license instead of a manual?

Scroll to see replies

:yep:
looks like I've messed up by putting the this thread in the wrong forum
Yes and no. If you're fully capable of driving a manual car, then you've just made everything a bit more expensive. If you find auto much easier and can't drive manual easily, then the extra price tags are probably worth it.
Original post by Cryoraptor
Yes and no. If you're fully capable of driving a manual car, then you've just made everything a bit more expensive. If you find auto much easier and can't drive manual easily, then the extra price tags are probably worth it.

I probs could drive a manual if I tried but I rly don't want to start all over again.
Original post by royalty1702
I probs could drive a manual if I tried but I rly don't want to start all over again.

It's not the end of the world, my mum drives auto and she's fine :driver:
Original post by Cryoraptor
It's not the end of the world, my mum drives auto and she's fine :driver:

but ppl always say what if you need to rent a car?
but ppl always say what if you need to rent a car?

I know a couple of driving instructors that think that with the way automation is going that learning on a manual is not necessary now.
Original post by Muttley79
I know a couple of driving instructors that think that with the way automation is going that learning on a manual is not necessary now.

that's reassuring
that's reassuring

You can hire automatic cars but I try to avoid hiring a car because it tends to be a rip-off .
My cousin learned auto but my Mum always told me I’d be better off learning to drive in a manual and I’m glad I listened because I actually love manual! I’m probably the only one but I actually think it’s fun! I love working the car instead of just steering. But each to their own! There was obviously a reason why you chose automatic, so just go with it. 😊
Original post by Carmizel
My cousin learned auto but I actually love manual! I’m probably the only one but I actually think it’s fun! I love working the car instead of just steering. But each to their own! There was obviously a reason why you chose automatic, so just go with it. 😊

I just chose it cuz our car at home was automatic and thought that was the car I would be driving with for a while once I passed. If our car was a manual I think it would have been a different story
Original post by Carmizel
My cousin learned auto but my Mum always told me I’d be better off learning to drive in a manual and I’m glad I listened because I actually love manual! I’m probably the only one but I actually think it’s fun! I love working the car instead of just steering. But each to their own! There was obviously a reason why you chose automatic, so just go with it. 😊

In my limited experience I prefer manual. I don't know whether it's to do with ADHD but I like having something to do with my left hand. Auto doesn't seem enough of a challenge to me.
Personally, much as I drive and love Auto, I'd still learn manual, because most UK vehicles are and i feel it teaches you better in terms of habit, patience and awareness, and it saves having to keep explaining that you have a driving licence but not really.
Original post by StriderHort
Personally, much as I drive and love Auto, I'd still learn manual, because most UK vehicles are and i feel it teaches you better in terms of habit, patience and awareness, and it saves having to keep explaining that you have a driving licence but not really.

yeah but I think automatic cars are on the rise. So hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future

You haven't messed up, but be prepared to deal with a more limited choice of *small* cars (hatchbacks, city cars) on the second-hand market and pay a bit more vs manual counterparts.
yeah but I think automatic cars are on the rise. So hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future

I'm not going to say that isn't true. Just that people have said it for decades.

You can swap it give them a call just tell them you were a bit mixed up they will sort it all out for you then you will be brand new
Original post by Scottishlad888
You can swap it give them a call just tell them you were a bit mixed up they will sort it all out for you then you will be brand new

I don't think you understand
I don't think you understand

Tell me more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending