The Student Room Group

Student finance wont fund 20/21 year of tuition, need advice

In short I was doing zoology with a foundation year, because of issue relating to the death of a close relative and issues relating to my autism I had to repeat the year, then pay out of my own pocket the year after to retake a final module exam with no teaching or classes, only a 2 hour exam I took at home because of covid.

Because of this student finance has said that they wont fund my tuition for 20/21 and I need some advice, is there anything I can do about this? They emailed me so close to the time my university semester starts that I'm at a loss and feel depressed about the situation to the point I'm losing sleep.
Original post by galdric
In short I was doing zoology with a foundation year, because of issue relating to the death of a close relative and issues relating to my autism I had to repeat the year, then pay out of my own pocket the year after to retake a final module exam with no teaching or classes, only a 2 hour exam I took at home because of covid.

Because of this student finance has said that they wont fund my tuition for 20/21 and I need some advice, is there anything I can do about this? They emailed me so close to the time my university semester starts that I'm at a loss and feel depressed about the situation to the point I'm losing sleep.

Please provide a timeline of what happened.

Zoology + FY

1. FY
2. Y1.
3. Y2
4. Y3

Where did you fail? It needs clarification so we cna understand what has happened.
How many times?
Why did you have to pay out of your own pocket?
Was it a final module resit or retake?

Are you UK/ home fees with sfe?
have you used any sfe finance on any other HE courses?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Please provide a timeline of what happened.

Zoology + FY

1. FY
2. Y1.
3. Y2
4. Y3

Where did you fail? It needs clarification so we cna understand what has happened.
How many times?
Why did you have to pay out of your own pocket?
Was it a final module resit or retake?

Are you UK/ home fees with sfe?
have you used any sfe finance on any other HE courses?

I'm a uk/home student with sfe

I failed at my foundation year twice and my academic advisor advised me when it was just that one exam (biology) that had been failed that I would have to pay £180 just to retake the final exam in April as sfe would fund it. I had no teaching or anything academic wise during the 19/20 year.

After passing that exam in april I had my place confirmed by my university.

I havent used any student finance out side of the FY and that first resit year as my application for zoology y1 was cancled by my university when I failed one exam on my resit year.
Original post by galdric

I failed at my foundation year twice and my academic advisor advised me when it was just that one exam (biology) that had been failed that I would have to pay £180 just to retake the final exam in April as sfe would fund it. I had no teaching or anything academic wise during the 19/20 year.

I havent used any student finance out side of the FY and that first resit year as my application for zoology y1 was cancled by my university when I failed one exam on my resit year.

I need sleep. Still dont think its clear enough because of the words you use. Please do a timeline of events.
Please confirm this is the only course you have ever expended student finance on.
Please confirm when you failed exams and what they asked you to do resit or retake?

In nearly all cases I advise against foundation year.
Original post by galdric

You didnt come back.
You say you failed the year twice, but im still unclear on what happened.

1. Its possible to interpret it as failing the first sit of the exam of one module (= fail one) at which chance they gave you a chance to resit the module, but capped, but nbi repeat lectures (= failed again) at which point you took it again and you passed. Is that what happened?

2. Alternatively you failed FY once and they asked you to do ot all again i.e attend lectures and you failerd it again, at which point you just resat the module which you passed?

I cant work out how many years worth of finance you have used 1 or 2 + the £180.

Scenarion on = you shopuld be ok for student finance as you only used one years finance. A resit does not use extra finance, nor should another resit to which you paid the fee.

Scenario two = you used 2 years finance because you did FY1 and failed, then did the whole year again and failed. That puts your student finance from degree+1 to degree-1, although you need to check this is what they are saying and why they are refusing to fund. If it was zoology with FY though degree-1 should still be ok for your course.

Scenario 3 = them claiming youve used 3 years funding so are at degree-2.

Get them to clarify.
If it works out they are correct, then think why you failed and if you had any helath or MH or persona lreasons that affected your performance. A GP letter about anxiety and depression would work.

Submit an extenuating circs claim and that would restore a years finance if successful.

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908

Ask Isaac from SFE.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

I am unaware how severe your autism is, but if you have difficulty getting to grips with what I said get a friend to read it and explain.
I’ll be honest if you’ve failed foundation year twice how would you even pass other years. Maybe uni isn’t for you. You should consider taking a year out and work to fund your other years. Also contact student finance tell them everything so they can tell you what funds they could give you in future. I believe student finance fund 4 years in total. How long is your course? And if you failed twice i think the remaining 2 years of funding, they’ll only fund your final 2 years depending how long your course is. In other words if your course is 4 years long and you failed twice they’ll only fund years 3 and 4. The other years you’ll have to fund yourself. Also consider if uni is really for you. It’s not a must. Hope this helps. Good luck
Reply 6
I'm pretty sure student finance usually funds up to 4 years. Maybe it's because you failed twice at foundation level? To be blunt I don't think uni is for you foundation year is supposed to ease you into actual uni not make your life hard. Maybe it would be worth looking at apprenticeships?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending