The Student Room Group

GANFYD's "Which medical schools accept retake A-Levels" list

Scroll to see replies

So none of the medical schools have changed their stance on the autumn exams? I emailed them myself and they replied but this was before the government u-turn. Some of them replied after the u-turn so I know 2 that will still take the autumn exams as first attempts and will accept a combo of grades from summer and autumn, but idk about the others. Today is the final day to enter for the exams as well. Is the information on their website or should I go based on what they told me?
Original post by Anonymous17!
So none of the medical schools have changed their stance on the autumn exams? I emailed them myself and they replied but this was before the government u-turn. Some of them replied after the u-turn so I know 2 that will still take the autumn exams as first attempts and will accept a combo of grades from summer and autumn, but idk about the others. Today is the final day to enter for the exams as well. Is the information on their website or should I go based on what they told me?

I would think it makes more sense to enter the autumn exams as I believe you can then withdraw at anytime (you may have to pay a fee) but you won't be able to enter later if you decided you want to do the autumn exams
Original post by macbook4
I would think it makes more sense to enter the autumn exams as I believe you can then withdraw at anytime (you may have to pay a fee) but you won't be able to enter later if you decided you want to do the autumn exams

I have already entered for two, I’m just worried if the schools have changed their stance and I have to take _all_ the exams because I’ve only entered for 2, not all 3
Original post by Anonymous17!
I have already entered for two, I’m just worried if the schools have changed their stance and I have to take _all_ the exams because I’ve only entered for 2, not all 3

That is a tough one and depends on what med schools you want to go to. Personally I doubt they would change from the information they have verbally given you, however you can't prove it unless it is in writing. Some schools are doing a combination, others are doing one sitting autumn or summer. Any way I think 4th is the last date to enter for exams apply so you could email them today and hope for a response by tomorrow.
Original post by macbook4
That is a tough one and depends on what med schools you want to go to. Personally I doubt they would change from the information they have verbally given you, however you can't prove it unless it is in writing. Some schools are doing a combination, others are doing one sitting autumn or summer. Any way I think 4th is the last date to enter for exams apply so you could email them today and hope for a response by tomorrow.

I managed to call two today and get it confirmed, and I have it in writing from them as I was following up on an email and checking the info still stands. Idk about the others though. I really hope they don’t change what they’ve said as I know they won’t reply to any email in time and I can’t call them as they’re working from home and it’s email only. So all I can do is assume and hope that they information they’ve given me is correct and still stands
Is lancaster the only BMAT university u can apply to if you plan to take the exams in the summer 2021. Have any other universities become more lenient/ change their policies such as Imperial/ leeds/ UCL?
Reply 26
Original post by Akanya31x
Is lancaster the only BMAT university u can apply to if you plan to take the exams in the summer 2021. Have any other universities become more lenient/ change their policies such as Imperial/ leeds/ UCL?

All the up to date info I am aware of is in the first post. Please post if you hear anything new
Original post by GANFYD
All the up to date info I am aware of is in the first post. Please post if you hear anything new

Really useful info on the first page @GANFYD thank you.

Only one request if you can add what grades the uni requires from the Resit candidates will also be useful alongside the info on what previous grades they need in first sit to be eligible ( this info you already given by you).
Original post by GANFYD
Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
Sheffield, (1 resit attempt only)
Bristol, (1 resit attempt per subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
UEA, (ABB/AAC first sitting and an A* in one resit)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting)
Manchester, (BBB first sitting and A*AA needed 2nd time)
Leicester, (ABB first sitting)
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (no restrictions)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

Edited for 2021 entry (I suspect the first of many):
Aston's new requirements for 2021 entry
"Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered. The referee must provide a brief explanation of the reason (s) for the resit in the UCAS reference."

Birmingham we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

HYMS have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.

Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

Please read further down the thread for specific conditions relating to CAGs/resits for the 2020 cohort applying in 2021

Hello, from the universities which require ABB for the first sitting, does AAC compensate for the 2 B's or would I not be eligible? Thank you.
Reply 29
Original post by Azotic02
Hello, from the universities which require ABB for the first sitting, does AAC compensate for the 2 B's or would I not be eligible? Thank you.

Med schools do not usually operate grade equivalenncies, so in a normal year, no, it would not, but I suspect the usual rules will go by the board with CAGs and first "sitting" grades will be ignored completely. I do know Birmingham have said otherwise and I hope med schools will soon make this clear on websites, but it might be worth emailing any you are interested in
Reply 30
Original post by SpaceTravel
Really useful info on the first page @GANFYD thank you.

Only one request if you can add what grades the uni requires from the Resit candidates will also be useful alongside the info on what previous grades they need in first sit to be eligible ( this info you already given by you).

Where they are different from the standard offer, they are in the post, I think
Original post by GANFYD
Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting)
Manchester, (BBB first sitting and A*AA needed 2nd time)
Leicester, (ABB first sitting)
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (no restrictions)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

Edited for 2021 entry (I suspect the first of many):
Aston's new requirements for 2021 entry
"Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered. The referee must provide a brief explanation of the reason (s) for the resit in the UCAS reference."

Birmingham we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

HYMS have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.

Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

Please read further down the thread for specific conditions relating to CAGs/resits for the 2020 cohort applying in 2021

Hi I have a question. My CAG is BCC but I'm confident I can get the 3 As in the summer exams. Can you let me know which ones I could apply to if I don't take the Autumn exams (so summer is my first sitting)
Reply 32
Original post by bhavyab02
Hi I have a question. My CAG is BCC but I'm confident I can get the 3 As in the summer exams. Can you let me know which ones I could apply to if I don't take the Autumn exams (so summer is my first sitting)

I don't have this information, as med schools have only committed to Autumn exams definitely NOT being classed as a resit. As to whether summer exams are, policies vary and hence "first sit" requirements will vary accordingly, I would have thought.
Any information I have is posted on here

I got AAC and when I was looking at unis the ones that for sure don’t care are Southampton. Exeter and Bristol. There’s a few more that don’t care but you’d have to get an A* and there’s a few more now that are putting their requirements aside for this year. It’s a bit outdated because I’m no longer reapply as my uni ended up taking me but hopefully that was some was useful idk.
Reply 34
Original post by Whatisizekiah
I got AAC and when I was looking at unis the ones that for sure don’t care are Southampton. Exeter and Bristol. There’s a few more that don’t care but you’d have to get an A* and there’s a few more now that are putting their requirements aside for this year. It’s a bit outdated because I’m no longer reapply as my uni ended up taking me but hopefully that was some was useful idk.

In a typical year those not caring about previously acquired grades are:
Anglia Ruskin
Bristol
Exeter
Sheffield
Southampton

Sunderland (but must resit all 3)
Kings
Edge Hill

But nothing about this year is typical and it may be that many of them waive first minimum requirements this year
Oh so there were more than expected. I could only remember the ones I would want to go to /around me because I’m from south England but it’s good there’s more :smile:
I think kings say people who haven’t resat are more competitive so even though I wanted to reapply there, I wasn’t planning to.
Original post by GANFYD
Anglia Ruskin
Bristol
Exeter
Sheffield
Southampton

Kings
Edge Hill

But nothing about this year is typical and it may be that many of them waive first minimum requirements this year

Hello, do you think this will be the case for 2022 entry too?
Reply 37
Hello, do you think this will be the case for 2022 entry too?

I think people are hoping things will be back to normal for 2022 entry!
Reply 38
Original post by GANFYD
Anglia Ruskin
Bristol
Exeter
Sheffield
Southampton

Kings
Edge Hill

do you think unis will update their websites with the kinder conditions?
Original post by GANFYD
ARU, (no restrictions)

ARU has no restrictions anyway but I called them up last Thursday and they confirmed over the phone that they would accept a combo of CAG grades and autumn grades and that autumn is a first attempt, not resit. UEA also confirmed through email that they would accept a combo of CAG’s and autumn grades and that they are considering autumn as a first attempt, but this was one day after the government u-turn so it could be that they’ve changed their stance but I’m not sure, I haven’t contacted them again.

Bristol confirmed to me through email on August 14th that all autumn exams were resits so I’m guessing they’ve updated their stance, or is it that the resit grades simply need be AAA (like Sheffield) and not A*’s? And they’ve also said they will accept a combo of grades now? When did you find this out, is it on their website?

Also, do you know if Bristol accepts gcse resits?

Tbh, I just have huge anxiety about everything now. I know a previous post that you said medical schools have committed to autumn NOT being a resit, do you know for certain that that’s true for all? Is this something that has been declared or this is an educated assumption you’ve made? Sorry for all the questions 😅 I want to apply after achieved grades in autumn so I won’t be applying until next year for 2022 entry. I did also ask the medical schools if their views would be upheld for entries other than 2021 and they said yes, which I imagined they should be. Idk why they would view autumn as a first attempt for 2021 entry but a resit for future entries, but I’m being meticulous about everything. Do you think that doing the exams in autumn first and then applying with achieved grades for 2022 entry would be ok? Meaning that do you think the medical schools will still honour their views on the autumn exams being first sits and accepting combos?

Again sorry for all the questions 😅😅
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending