The Student Room Group

How much experience do I need to apply for a software apprenticeship?

I’ve wanted a job in the IT sector since I left Year 11 but none of my qualifications really shout I know much about computers. In preparation for the past few months in lockdown, I’ve been doing courses on websites like Codecademy to learn the basics of web development like HTML5, CSS and I’ve started JavaScript. I’m really enjoying it but saying that on a CV doesn’t sound like it’ll mean much to employers.
Original post by “pro”crastinator
I’ve wanted a job in the IT sector since I left Year 11 but none of my qualifications really shout I know much about computers. In preparation for the past few months in lockdown, I’ve been doing courses on websites like Codecademy to learn the basics of web development like HTML5, CSS and I’ve started JavaScript. I’m really enjoying it but saying that on a CV doesn’t sound like it’ll mean much to employers.

None, you need 0, nill, zilch, f all.

Any experience is just a bonus.
Reply 2
Original post by “pro”crastinator

Do personal projects, finish it and then upload it on Github. Copy the link and attach it to your Linkedin profile. Employees respect those who do heavy personal projects. It counts as a experience. The best way to show it off your skills and problem solving.
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
None, you need 0, nill, zilch, f all.

Any experience is just a bonus.

actually the apprenticeships at google, amazon and facebook require coding experience.
Original post by Gent2324
actually the apprenticeships at google, amazon and facebook require coding experience.

Okay this is true but apprenticeships asking for experience is very rare, the idea is that they teach you when you come in.
Okay this is true but apprenticeships asking for experience is very rare, the idea is that they teach you when you come in.

i agree its rare, for every other apprenticeship you dont need any experience, only other ones that need experience are just eat and citi.
i agree its rare, for every other apprenticeship you dont need any experience, only other ones that need experience are just eat and citi.

I personally think it is stupid for them to require prior experience, it's difficult to find talent when you exclude 90% of the applicants. I understand that the applicants need to show an enthusiasm and aptitude for the subject, but this is not the way to go about it. They should just ask for a project or small presentation on something STEM related that they have done.
I personally think it is stupid for them to require prior experience, it's difficult to find talent when you exclude 90% of the applicants. I understand that the applicants need to show an enthusiasm and aptitude for the subject, but this is not the way to go about it. They should just ask for a project or small presentation on something STEM related that they have done.

for amazon at least, they are still teaching everything, they just expect you to be familiar with programming and learn quickly. i guess when the faang companies are paying high they get a lot more applicants so they can be more picky.
for amazon at least, they are still teaching everything, they just expect you to be familiar with programming and learn quickly. i guess when the faang companies are paying high they get a lot more applicants so they can be more picky.

I would theorise they specify the requirement of the experience as a way to gauge existing interest in the type of work the apprentice would be doing.

I imagine most applicants apply for the employer and not so much the role. Clever filtering to ensure there’s more of a chance the successful applicant will see out the full duration of the apprenticeship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending