The Student Room Group

Alternative Entry Requirements Oxbridge

Hi guys!

I have a question about alternative entry requirements for Oxbridge.

I am considering studying either an Open University course worth 120 credits or an Access to Higher Education Diploma.

Oxford on paper says both would be acceptable however Cambridge only detail that Access courses would be acceptable.

Does anyone have any idea which course (Open University or Access Course) would lend to a more competitive application at either university?

I have a few other qualifications too but am far, far, far away from the standard entry requirements. (Advanced Higher at B, and two Highers at B plus and HNC at A)

Many thanks and hope this makes sense haha
Reply 1
You'd probably be best off emailing their admissions email addresses for your chosen subject - they're the only ones who can say for sure what they'll accept and at what level! I'm applying this year with slightly unconventional circumstances so I have had to email to clarify several things, and they've been great at getting back to me quickly and answering all my questions :smile:
Original post by FinleyA123
Hi guys!

I am considering studying either an Open University course worth 120 credits or an Access to Higher Education Diploma.

Oxford on paper says both would be acceptable however Cambridge only detail that Access courses would be acceptable.

Does anyone have any idea which course (Open University or Access Course) would lend to a more competitive application at either university?

I have a few other qualifications too but am far, far, far away from the standard entry requirements. (Advanced Higher at B, and two Highers at B plus and HNC at A)

Both universities explicitly state that they will accept access courses. However, if you do a little digging you will see that in order to be competitive, Oxford asks that you take 1 or 2 A levels alongside your access course.

Doing 2 A levels and an Access Course is your best bet.
Reply 3
Hi guys!

For which course?

Also this thread is by admissions tutor at a Cambridge mature college (21 entry) and will help you for Cambridge specific queries.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4847762
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Doones
For which course?

Also this thread is by admissions tutor at a Cambridge mature college (21 entry) and will can help you for Cambridge specific queries.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4847762

Ah thanks for the link!

I'm interested in the Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion degree at Cambridge and the equivalent at Oxford.
Reply 5
Ah thanks for the link!

I'm interested in the Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion degree at Cambridge and the equivalent at Oxford.

Access HE is accepted for that by Cambridge.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

"Attainment of an Access to HE Diploma with Distinctions in all relevant subject units can be acceptable preparation for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences and most arts subjects (excluding Economics) at Cambridge. Some subjects may have additional academic requirements. "

but note "Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion applicants should be aware of the compulsory first-year scriptural language element."
Original post by Doones
Access HE is accepted for that by Cambridge.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

"Attainment of an Access to HE Diploma with Distinctions in all relevant subject units can be acceptable preparation for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences and most arts subjects (excluding Economics) at Cambridge. Some subjects may have additional academic requirements. "

but note "Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion applicants should be aware of the compulsory first-year scriptural language element."

Do you think they would want good GCSE's still or National 5's (I'm Scottish)? As in, would I be competitive as an applicant?
Reply 7
Do you think they would want good GCSE's still or National 5's (I'm Scottish)? As in, would I be competitive as an applicant?

GCSEs are not that relevant, especially as a mature applicant.
Original post by Doones
GCSEs are not that relevant, especially as a mature applicant.

Ah that's good to hear! I'm only 19 though so I'm not sure if I'd qualify as a mature student. Would they care about previous A Levels/SQA Highers?

Sorry if I'm being annoying ahah
Reply 9
Ah that's good to hear! I'm only 19 though so I'm not sure if I'd qualify as a mature student. Would they care about previous A Levels/SQA Highers?

Sorry if I'm being annoying ahah

Ok, so you need to be 21 to be "mature".

Are you saying you have "not very good" Nationals, and "not very good" Highers/Advanced Highers, and now immediately plan to take an AccessHE or equivalent for Oxbridge...?

If so, that's basically viewed as a retake and without extenuating circumstances would be unlikely to make you competitive.

Do you have extenuating circumstances...?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Doones
Ok, so you need to be 21 to be "mature".

Are you saying you have "not very good" Nationals, and "not very good" Highers/Advanced Highers, and now immediately plan to take an AccessHE or equivalent for Oxbridge...?

If so, that's basically viewed as a retake and without extenuating circumstances would be unlikely to make you competitive.

Do you have extenuating circumstances...?

Ah ok.

So I have ABBCD at Nationals gained in 2017 and BBB at Higher/Advanced Higher gained in 2018 and an A at HNC gained in 2019. I have taken a year out since then and now would be starting an AccessHE to be completed in 2021.

I don't think I have extenuating circumstances unless being told I had to leave my school (private) counts?

Thanks so so much for the help.
Reply 11
Ah ok.

So I have ABBCD at Nationals gained in 2017 and BBB at Higher/Advanced Higher gained in 2018 and an A at HNC gained in 2019. I have taken a year out since then and now would be starting an AccessHE to be completed in 2021.

I don't think I have extenuating circumstances unless being told I had to leave my school (private) counts?

Thanks so so much for the help.

Ok, so I suspect Oxbridge will be a stretch...

I'm sure there are excellent similar courses elsewhere, in Scotland?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending