The Student Room Group

Can anyone help? Student finance?

Hi. I applied late for my university course and I was accepted pretty much straight away. Due to this I didn't apply for student finance until 26th August.
I have sent in all the relevant documents that they requested. My online account still states application submitted.
I did apply for both the maintenance loan and the tuition.
I spoke with student finance before applying to university and themselves and they said the late application would be fine. I'm slightly concerned now as I start 22nd September and I have zero idea of when any payments will be sorted. The whole process is new to me. I'm a mature student, and my husband works full time, so the maintenance loan I'm not stressing too much about, but Im not sure what to do about the tuition fees. Will that get to them in time etc. I have enrolled with my university. Thanks.
Original post by Stacie1409
Hi. I applied late for my university course and I was accepted pretty much straight away. Due to this I didn't apply for student finance until 26th August.
I have sent in all the relevant documents that they requested. My online account still states application submitted.
I spoke with student finance before applying to university and themselves and they said the late application would be fine. I'm slightly concerned now as I start 22nd September and I have zero idea of when any payments will be sorted. The whole process is new to me. I'm a mature student, and my husband works full time, so the maintenance loan I'm not stressing too much about, but Im not sure what to do about the tuition fees. Will that get to them in time etc. I have enrolled with my university. Thanks.

Check your student finance account it might show a date. As long as student finance are going to fund your course you shouldn’t worry about the payment. Since you applied late the payment could be late but just call student finance to confirm everything. If they say everything is fine student finance will contact your uni directly and sort the payments. You’ll probably receive an email or letter once it’s done. Just call student finance and check the payment status on your account. Also check the letters section where messages pop up if there has been any change in your application. Hope this helps. Best of luck and good luck on your course :smile:
Reply 2
As long as your uni and student finance can work it out I'm sure you'll be fine. It's unlikely that they won't cover your tuition fee loan at least. I'm sure your situation is common especially this year with people getting their grades delayed, applying late etc

Hi, I imagine it's very likely payments will be delayed since the app was very late, in regards to the below comment, student finance don't contact the university. That will be up to you to ensure the university sends over your registration when your application is approved.

Hi i’m in the same position and i’m really scared as i start in over a week and my application says submitted. However my uni won’t enrol me until it’s sorted and i’m worried i’ll miss a bit of my course 😭
Did u hear back? I’m In the exact same boat.. recieved evidence 23rd August
Reply 6
Original post by TallyBridget19
Did u hear back? I’m In the exact same boat.. recieved evidence 23rd August

No not yet 😭. I phoned them the other day and they said should be completed by 14th October 🤷*♀️

Hey! I would suggest letting your university know that you are waiting for student finance to accept your application. Universities often have special advisors about that sort of thing and that way it shouldn't effect your university attendance and hopefully prevent you from missing your course. It might depend from university to university but at least for my university, if you have a problem or a delayed payment, if you inform them before, they can give you some advice about it.

I would also suggest calling up SFE every once in a while to ensure that everything is going well. While I wasn't in your situation, my application was put on hold for a reason and took a while to sort it out. Though this doesn't usually happen, there's no problem in checking every once in a while.

I hope that's helpful! And good luck!
@Aisha6511 @TallyBridget19

Hey! I would suggest letting your university know that you are waiting for student finance to accept your application. Universities often have special advisors about that sort of thing and that way it shouldn't effect your university attendance and hopefully prevent you from missing your course. It might depend from university to university but at least for my university, if you have a problem or a delayed payment, if you inform them before, they can give you some advice about it.

I would also suggest calling up SFE every once in a while to ensure that everything is going well. While I wasn't in your situation, my application was put on hold for a reason and took a while to sort it out. Though this doesn't usually happen, there's no problem in checking every once in a while.

I hope that's helpful! And good luck! @Aisha6511 @TallyBridget19
Mines been approved this morning! Applied on 21st August
To be paid 24th September

Hi!

I would contact SFE by phone and there should be someone there able to inform you about your application. Also, contact you university after to inform them about the situation.
I know this year we don't receive the first lot of maintenance loan until the beginning of October (5th for me). The tuition fee loan we never see payed in our accounts, as it goes straight to the university, as SFE handles all of that.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 11
Mines been approved this morning! Applied on 21st August
To be paid 24th September

Wow. That was quick. I applied on the 26th August. All evidence was uploaded by the 28th and I have recieved my ID evidence back in the post this morning. So I'm hoping it won't take too long now. X
Wow. That was quick. I applied on the 26th August. All evidence was uploaded by the 28th and I have recieved my ID evidence back in the post this morning. So I'm hoping it won't take too long now. X

I recieved mine back on Thursday / Friday last week. Only problem now is they have to verify my NI number (as they do everyone’s) which apparently takes 2 weeks but we will see
Reply 13
I recieved mine back on Thursday / Friday last week. Only problem now is they have to verify my NI number (as they do everyone’s) which apparently takes 2 weeks but we will see

Mine still says application submitted 😂.
Let your uni know so they can expect any delays, they might be willing to wait on the finance or might ask you to pay first semester until finance comes through.
Original post by Kogomogo
Let your uni know so they can expect any delays, they might be willing to wait on the finance or might ask you to pay first semester until finance comes through.

University’s aren’t usually paid tutition fee until the very end of October so it will be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending