The Student Room Group

I hate my dark brown skin

I am south Asian with dark brown skin. I guess to others I may seem light skin but I am more medium-dark. I also suffer from eczema which has left dark patches on my hands and arms. I’m literally at the point in life where I’m sick of my skin colour. Nothing suits me...annoying too when I want to buy a nice dress and get told that won’t go with my skin tone. I’m also the darkest in my family. I look in the mirror beside my cousin and see how lifeless my skin looks next to her even though she’s brown but doesn’t suffer from pigmentation on her face. Whereas I have it all over my face and neck and hands.

I 100% do not condone with bleaching of the skin. Dark skin is absolutely beautiful!!! I don’t see it as a wrong this on anyone else of course, it’s just on me. Being so dark compared to the rest of my family sometimes makes me feel like an outsider and I hate it. The pigmentation around my mouth and neck puts me down so much. I’ve tried vitamin C and other stuff but nothing seems to help with my hyperpigmentation. Ergh im just so sick of everything. I’m so scared that my future husband and his family in the future may think I’m too dark etc hence why I want to be alone sometimes. I just don’t know what to do at this point. Others will tell me my skin is beautiful but having a hugeeee family and surrounding that is mainly brown-light skin makes it difficult for me to love my skin because I look lifeless and so dark next to them

Scroll to see replies

Your future husband wouldn't have married if he thought your skin colour wasn’t his taste. Having dark skin isn’t going to affect how you act or your attractiveness. Stop comparing yourself to others. This is about you, not them. You need to stop trying to be like other people, and live how you want. Spending your whole life trying to be like others is going to make you unhappy, being happy starts from within.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am south Asian with dark brown skin. I guess to others I may seem light skin but I am more medium-dark. I also suffer from eczema which has left dark patches on my hands and arms. I’m literally at the point in life where I’m sick of my skin colour. Nothing suits me...annoying too when I want to buy a nice dress and get told that won’t go with my skin tone. I’m also the darkest in my family. I look in the mirror beside my cousin and see how lifeless my skin looks next to her even though she’s brown but doesn’t suffer from pigmentation on her face. Whereas I have it all over my face and neck and hands.

I 100% do not condone with bleaching of the skin. Dark skin is absolutely beautiful!!! I don’t see it as a wrong this on anyone else of course, it’s just on me. Being so dark compared to the rest of my family sometimes makes me feel like an outsider and I hate it. The pigmentation around my mouth and neck puts me down so much. I’ve tried vitamin C and other stuff but nothing seems to help with my hyperpigmentation. Ergh im just so sick of everything. I’m so scared that my future husband and his family in the future may think I’m too dark etc hence why I want to be alone sometimes. I just don’t know what to do at this point. Others will tell me my skin is beautiful but having a hugeeee family and surrounding that is mainly brown-light skin makes it difficult for me to love my skin because I look lifeless and so dark next to them

I think dark skin is beautiful, honestly i lack so mucch melanin, its not fair. Anywho, i would say own it, you were born a certain way so try and experiment with different colours, bright colours on dark skin is amazing, like literally its so cool. With the hyperpigmentation try niacinamide as its apparently proven to work well, if that doesnt work out, ill say go the GP and with your eczema a very thick moisturiser is a go to of mine, i got one from the gp which is called Epimax, try it.
you're beautiful!! don't let anyone tell you otherwise, b 💕💓💗💞
don't compare yourself to others!
Reading this makes me so so upset. Eurocentric beauty standards have truly plagued our society. For what it's worth, I, with all my heart, think that dark skin is beautiful on absolutely everyone, including you.

However, I know from experience that when you're insecure about something, it doesn't really help for other people to give their opinion, you need to love your skin yourself, which is hard but possible. When I'm insecure about something, I usually find instagram models or actresses etc with that exact feature to follow so that I can see that that feature doesn't make them less attractive.

Also, I think that to feel more confident in your own skin, you need to do other things like stay healthy, maybe wear some makeup and do your hair so that you gain an extra bit of confidence.

All I can really say is that one day, I promise, you will learn to love your skin and you'll be so happy that you never bleached your skin, or did anything to lighten it. It's a process to love yourself, but it WILL happen and I 100% believe in you. Good luck <3
Reading this makes me so so upset. Eurocentric beauty standards have truly plagued our society. For what it's worth, I, with all my heart, think that dark skin is beautiful on absolutely everyone, including you.

However, I know from experience that when you're insecure about something, it doesn't really help for other people to give their opinion, you need to love your skin yourself, which is hard but possible. When I'm insecure about something, I usually find instagram models or actresses etc with that exact feature to follow so that I can see that that feature doesn't make them less attractive.

Also, I think that to feel more confident in your own skin, you need to do other things like stay healthy, maybe wear some makeup and do your hair so that you gain an extra bit of confidence.

All I can really say is that one day, I promise, you will learn to love your skin and you'll be so happy that you never bleached your skin, or did anything to lighten it. It's a process to love yourself, but it WILL happen and I 100% believe in you. Good luck <3

PRSOM,
honestlyy couldn't agree with anon more
The colour of someone's skin tone is not what defines how attractive they are. You are darker than everyone else in your family, so what? That's not a bad thing. As you said "dark is beautiful". Which it is.
Original post by PeachyMilk
PRSOM,
honestlyy couldn't agree with anon more

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

:smile: :heart:

i’m south asian with very fair light skin, and i love south asian girls with dark skin. honestly it’s the best thing ever
Original post by TheStarboy
Your future husband wouldn't have married if he thought your skin colour wasn’t his taste. Having dark skin isn’t going to affect how you act or your attractiveness. Stop comparing yourself to others. This is about you, not them. You need to stop trying to be like other people, and live how you want. Spending your whole life, tryout to be like others is going to make you unhappy, being happy starts from within.

True, but it makes it difficult because even while not comparing others, I personally do not feel at peace with my own skin, so I guess how can anyone else 😓 I have had horrible comments thrown at me all my life. I even have dull green toned skin which makes me look even more lifeless compared to others around more who are my yellow toned. Ergh idek what to feel anymore
Original post by SAK_01
I think dark skin is beautiful, honestly i lack so mucch melanin, its not fair. Anywho, i would say own it, you were born a certain way so try and experiment with different colours, bright colours on dark skin is amazing, like literally its so cool. With the hyperpigmentation try niacinamide as its apparently proven to work well, if that doesnt work out, ill say go the GP and with your eczema a very thick moisturiser is a go to of mine, i got one from the gp which is called Epimax, try it.

Thank you! Will check that out for eczema, also I am currently using nicacinamide but not as often 👀 I have a few scarring on my face and pigmentation around my mouth which I’m hoping to get rid off :frown:
see that’s the issue, all this to satisfy men in the future. it’s your skin and you have to own it! and if you’d be willing to put yourself down because of fear of what a future husband would say then there’s something deeply wrong. your dark skin is beautiful. so is your hyperpigmentation!
(edited 3 years ago)

You’re so kind thank you ❤️ It’s just this feeling isn’t new. I’ve been feeling like this for years and I just don’t know when it will never stop. Feeling like an outsider when everyone else around me is lighter is why i feel like this. I know I shouldn’t care and give a **** because there are days when I don’t but I low-key do think of it in the back of my mind. I’m just scared of getting married in the future and in my new family someone will make a comment on my skin tone. Like ergh is that what all people see?! But I guess that life
Reply 14
Thank you! Will check that out for eczema, also I am currently using nicacinamide but not as often 👀 I have a few scarring on my face and pigmentation around my mouth which I’m hoping to get rid off :frown:

No problem, and everyone has mentioned there is no need to please anyone, if your future husband loves you, he will love you no matter your skin condition so keep your head up Queen. Only a true person will love you for who your are.
Original post by nightingalegend
see that’s the issue, all this to satisfy men in the future. it’s your skin and you have to own it! and if you’d be willing to put yourself down because of fear of what a future husband would say then there’s something deeply wrong. your dark skin is beautiful. so is your hyperpigmentation!

I know what u mean. My main issue isn’t to please my future husband, but I guess others around me is :frown: that sounds so bad I know but usually if I’m upset about something and others around me say it’s a good thing etc I soon start to warm to it and see nothing wrong if that makes sense. But with my skin tone...if I tell the people closest to me that I hate it, they’re probably say something nice for the sake of me hearing it orrr just say so what. I hate how lighter Asians around me feel and others I have seen don’t care/stick up for the darker Asians who get called all these names. They just sit their and laugh and say something too.
I know what u mean. My main issue isn’t to please my future husband, but I guess others around me is :frown: that sounds so bad I know but usually if I’m upset about something and others around me say it’s a good thing etc I soon start to warm to it and see nothing wrong if that makes sense. But with my skin tone...if I tell the people closest to me that I hate it, they’re probably say something nice for the sake of me hearing it orrr just say so what. I hate how lighter Asians around me feel and others I have seen don’t care/stick up for the darker Asians who get called all these names. They just sit their and laugh and say something too.

I'm a light-skin south asian and I always stick up for darker asians. There will always be an issue of colorism in our community but don't let that put you down. Our generation is less colorist and the people that mock darker asians are mainly projecting what they're told at home.

I would love to be darker. I don't tan very easily and I find that a lot of people dismiss the fact that I'm asian because of my lighter tone. I'm not comparing the situations because there is a huge issue of colorism as I said, but there will always be things people aren't happy with.

In terms of hyperpigmentation on your face, make sure to wear spf daily. Using chemical exfoliants, particularly the ordinary peel is good at reducing dark areas around the mouth. Don't overdo it though because poc skin is more prone to sensitivity and you can actually develop more hyperpigmentation if you overuse it.
You can also use the peel on areas of your body that are darker (obviously avoiding the bikini line). I used to use it on my knees for example! Goes to show that people of all skin tones have random darker areas on their body. Nothing to be ashamed about OP!
You’re so kind thank you ❤️ It’s just this feeling isn’t new. I’ve been feeling like this for years and I just don’t know when it will never stop. Feeling like an outsider when everyone else around me is lighter is why i feel like this. I know I shouldn’t care and give a **** because there are days when I don’t but I low-key do think of it in the back of my mind. I’m just scared of getting married in the future and in my new family someone will make a comment on my skin tone. Like ergh is that what all people see?! But I guess that life

I completely understand and I'm so sorry you feel like this :frown:
Do you think that you would maybe benefit from taking a step away from all these light skinned social media influencers, for example? I know that when I'm insecure, it doesn't help to see pictures of Madison Beer popping up on my phone every day.
And you will learn to love yourself, I can't stress it enough. I know that it's not the same but I have a nose that I've never liked, it's quite big and an 'ugly shape'. And I hated it for years until I slowly started to realize how dumb that is. Like I look cute asf, even though I don't have the perfect nose according to a very slim beauty standard.

Also, wanting to look pretty for your husband shouldn't worry you. Considering the fact that he would have decided to marry you, he will find your skin beautiful. The thing is, and I'm sure others who have been in love will agree, when you love someone, you love everything about them, physically and emotionally. So your husband will see your dark skin as one of the hundreds of things that make up you. He wouldn't have dated you if he found you unattractive. That being said, you should feel pretty for yourself, not a man :smile:

that’s horrible, igy! i’m a black arab so i’ve dealt with discrimination within the arab community due to being darker a lot of us get called slaves daily. just know that these eurocentric beauty standards don’t count for ****!

I hate how lighter Asians around me feel and others I have seen don’t care/stick up for the darker Asians who get called all these names. They just sit their and laugh and say something too.

and that’s the issue with society nowadays and why allies are so important. it’s so important to stick for minorities and darker minorities. keep your head high x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending