The Student Room Group

Year 12 going into 13 and in stressing

Hi so I got all Us in my year 12 january mocks which I didnt try for. However i was getting Cs and Ds for class tests as soon as i started revising. But I have been doing the bare minimum of school work in the past 6 months at home (lockdown) and barely completing work as I struggle to work at home due to my household. I'm planning to revise loads in year 13 from the get go in school. Im worried that I'm not going to pass my a levels next year as I forgot so much year 12 content. Am I stressing too much and being paranoid? Or should i just chill and keep ontop of revision from day 1 in year 13?
Reply 1
Can you appeal for the results this year?
Original post by Y33ty4w24
Hi so I got all Us in my year 12 january mocks which I didnt try for. However i was getting Cs and Ds for class tests as soon as i started revising. But I have been doing the bare minimum of school work in the past 6 months at home (lockdown) and barely completing work as I struggle to work at home due to my household. I'm planning to revise loads in year 13 from the get go in school. Im worried that I'm not going to pass my a levels next year as I forgot so much year 12 content. Am I stressing too much and being paranoid? Or should i just chill and keep ontop of revision from day 1 in year 13?

Hey @Y33ty4w24, I think it's totally normal to be more nervous than usual going back to school this year. So much has happened since you left! You should definitely be ready for some hard work next year, but why not give yourself a head start and start looking at things now? Nothing too intense... just try to ease yourself back in to some of your subject areas by watching documentaries/downloading any apps/practice papers? Which subjects are you sitting out of intrest?

Can you get in touch with your teachers to see if they can reassure you about the workload/give you any tips to prep yourself? :smile:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Y33ty4w24, I think it's totally normal to be more nervous than usual going back to school this year. So much has happened since you left! You should definitely be ready for some hard work next year, but why not give yourself a head start and start looking at things now? Nothing too intense... just try to ease yourself back in to some of your subject areas by watching documentaries/downloading any apps/practice papers? Which subjects are you sitting out of intrest?

Can you get in touch with your teachers to see if they can reassure you about the workload/give you any tips to prep yourself? :smile:

Thank you so much Caitlin. I am sitting computer science, maths and physics. I am also thinking of starting to do some more programming tomorrow so I'm not completely brain dead when I go back in september. Are there any tips you have of studying at home? Because I struggle to if I'm being honest as I always did my studying at school.

Thanks again Caitlin - Tariq😀
Thank you so much Caitlin. I am sitting computer science, maths and physics. I am also thinking of starting to do some more programming tomorrow so I'm not completely brain dead when I go back in september. Are there any tips you have of studying at home? Because I struggle to if I'm being honest as I always did my studying at school.

Thanks again Caitlin - Tariq😀

Hey Tariq!

I totally understand, I struggled to study at home too!! I think the best thing to be mindful of is not to be too hard on yourself- set yourself very small goals that are easy to achieve and 'tick' off as it will feel like you're being more productive as you move through your day :smile:

Scribble a list at the start of the day of these things you'd like to achieve. These could be 'do two questions for maths' or 'summarise computer science notes'. Like I say, I'd recommend keeping them small so that you feel you are making progress! If you make your goals too big (e.g. learn one Physics theory fully) and it gets to the end of the day and you don't know it yet- it can make you feel a bit gutted, like your studying has been a waste. So keep it small, focused and take regular breaks to let your brain chill a bit. Be sure to recognise and feel good about the things that you do learn, rather than the things you don't get around to doing. And drink loads of water- it sounds cliche but I find this definitely helps.

Hope that helps? Let me know how you get on!

Reply 5
Hey Tariq!

I totally understand, I struggled to study at home too!! I think the best thing to be mindful of is not to be too hard on yourself- set yourself very small goals that are easy to achieve and 'tick' off as it will feel like you're being more productive as you move through your day :smile:

Scribble a list at the start of the day of these things you'd like to achieve. These could be 'do two questions for maths' or 'summarise computer science notes'. Like I say, I'd recommend keeping them small so that you feel you are making progress! If you make your goals too big (e.g. learn one Physics theory fully) and it gets to the end of the day and you don't know it yet- it can make you feel a bit gutted, like your studying has been a waste. So keep it small, focused and take regular breaks to let your brain chill a bit. Be sure to recognise and feel good about the things that you do learn, rather than the things you don't get around to doing. And drink loads of water- it sounds cliche but I find this definitely helps.

Hope that helps? Let me know how you get on!

I am so sorry Caitlin, I thought I replied.
First day back today was SHOCK! Year 13 is looking very hard at the moment. I have a lot to get through with year 12 content especially with maths. I realised I wasn't the only one who struggled at home during lockdown as some of my other peers were struggling alongside me :biggrin:. A bit scared though since I have forgotten so much. hopefully it all works out.
Thanks, Tariq

Original post by Manni86
Can you appeal for the results this year?

I am in year 13 now so there is no point. :frown:
Reply 6
First day back today was SHOCK! Year 13 is looking very hard at the moment. I have a lot to get through with year 12 content especially with maths. I realised I wasn't the only one who struggled at home during lockdown as some of my other peers were struggling alongside me :biggrin:. A bit scared though since I have forgotten so much. hopefully it all works out.
Thanks, Tariq

I am in year 13 now so there is no point. :frown:

Might help if you appeal anyway, take the stress off a lil for year 13
Reply 7
Original post by Manni86
Might help if you appeal anyway, take the stress off a lil for year 13

Nah the last mocks were in January. I think its probably too late. But do you think I can get good grades by the end of the year if I do solid revision from now?
Reply 8
Nah the last mocks were in January. I think its probably too late. But do you think I can get good grades by the end of the year if I do solid revision from now?

Sure you can!!! Ive myself have pulled up grades by 2, because pervious has been poor. You just got to want it.
Reply 9

You can do whatever you want, when you put the work in. You be fine
Reply 10
Original post by Manni86
Sure you can!!! Ive myself have pulled up grades by 2, because pervious has been poor. You just got to want it.

Thank you very much. My last mocks were so bad because I didn't try. I'm going to be serious in year 13 and I'm taking no prisoners 😈😂 planning to get a D or above in everyting 👍🏼👍🏼
Thanks, Tariq

Haha no worries, well done on your first day back! No wonder it's a shock to the system, but like I say take it easy on yourself and don't put too much pressure on yourself at the moment :smile: You're right, everyone is in the same boat and I've no doubt you'll all get there once you're back in a routine. Work hard and it'll pay off. You'll be so exhausted by the end of the week!!!

Best of luck for this year, you'll smash it!

Reply 12
Haha no worries, well done on your first day back! No wonder it's a shock to the system, but like I say take it easy on yourself and don't put too much pressure on yourself at the moment :smile: You're right, everyone is in the same boat and I've no doubt you'll all get there once you're back in a routine. Work hard and it'll pay off. You'll be so exhausted by the end of the week!!!

Best of luck for this year, you'll smash it!

Thank you and take care😀
- Tariq

Quick Reply

Latest