The Student Room Group

Are Oxbridge Graduates paid more highly than others ?

I know that for medicine all junior decrees are paid equally regardless of where their degree comes from.

I was unsure on the stats for engineering though , how does the Oxbridge engineering salary compare to the rest of the engineering grads' salaries, particularly from KCL and ICL ?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Damn , £10K from Cambridge compared to Liverpool for a degree with near enough the same content but just more prestigious , pretty wild man.
Original post by lhh2003
Damn , £10K from Cambridge compared to Liverpool for a degree with near enough the same content but just more prestigious , pretty wild man.

Why do you think the content is the same? It very likely isn't...
Reply 3
I thought the NHS pays 2 people working in the same job role equally ?
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
Why do you think the content is the same? It very likely isn't...

I thought that unis have to teach a curriculum set by the government with a few slight variations, like different exam boards at GCSE ?
Original post by lhh2003
I thought that unis have to teach a curriculum set by the government with a few slight variations, like different exam boards at GCSE ?

No, universities set their own curriculum and examinations.
Original post by lhh2003

No. The only thing remotely similar would be certain degrees that are accredited by professional bodies e.g. British Computer Society for Computer Science/Computing degrees having certain compulsory modules such as Professional Issues/Ethics.
Reply 7
Original post by lhh2003

Cambridge maths student here. Different unis set different curriculums in the STEM subjects essentially based on the quality of the students coming in. So you can imagine the difference in mathsy degrees being quite wide between somewhere accepting people with all A*s vs 3Bs. It also means that getting a first from Oxbridge is quite a bit harder than from pretty much anywhere else in the UK, which is something worth considering when you decide your uni
Original post by lhh2003

Nothing is standardised by government, no. :nah: (Except things like Teacher Training courses - which get ofsted inspected too.)
Courses vary widely, where you have similarities are where there are professional bodies that provide courses with accreditation (like psychology for instance).

There are various "benchmark statements" for courses in various subjects, but these are incredibly vague and are more about the standard of content delivered than the specifics of the content itself. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by J_Harber
Cambridge maths student here. Different unis set different curriculums in the STEM subjects essentially based on the quality of the students coming in. So you can imagine the difference in mathsy degrees being quite wide between somewhere accepting people with all A*s vs 3Bs. It also means that getting a first from Oxbridge is quite a bit harder than from pretty much anywhere else in the UK, which is something worth considering when you decide your uni

prsom, I feel too many people ignore this or deem people "elitist" for thinking a university isn't good enough for them academically. think it's important if you care much about the academics to not lowball your uni.
Original post by lhh2003
I thought the NHS pays 2 people working in the same job role equally ?

That table is relative to pre-uni achievement. So if Oxford medics had higher A-levels the earnings would be adjusted downwards. You can't interpret that table as raw values - its an estimate of value added by the university itself.
Original post by lhh2003

Lol no. They're all independent.

That's how unis like Surrey can just choose to award 45% 1sts when Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc award less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending