The Student Room Group

BLM performance on Britain’s got talent sparks complaints

https://news.sky.com/story/britains-got-talent-diversitys-black-lives-matter-performance-sparks-hundreds-of-complaints-12066382

The performance saw Ashley Banjo be knelt on by a white officer while officers with riot shields danced around in reference to the killing of George Floyd. The dance was performed by a group called diversity and received 1,100 or so complaints

Scroll to see replies

As it should. Political statements should not be made on a family TV show.
I don't really see how the murder of George Floyd has anything to do with whether or not Britain has talent.

I'm not really sure how it could break broadcasting rules though.
Original post by imlikeahermit

Like Countryfile does every week?
Original post by DiddyDec
Like Countryfile does every week?

Huh?
Huh?

Countryfile, political statements, family TV, anything?

Not sure countryfile is very popular with the TSR populous.
Original post by Andrew97

Think it’s more detrimental to @DiddyDec and his reputation than anything else.

I’ve got better fish to fry than watching ****ing country file.
Reply 8

And those that pick and choose which to get outraged about deserve neither attention nor satisfaction.

Evidently not. Not unsurprising, it is a mind numbingly boring, sanitised metropolitan view of what the countryside is.
Think it’s more detrimental to @DiddyDec and his reputation than anything else.

I’ve got better fish to fry than watching ****ing country file.

Wtf are you on about?

Would that fish be complaining about a meaningless talent show?
Wtf are you on about?

Would that fish be complaining about a meaningless talent show?

I’d hazard a guess at better than whatever you have watching ****ing country file...

The point is, political statements about a criminal should not be made on a family show. What happened was wrong and completely undeserved however the man was a criminal.
I’d hazard a guess at better than whatever you have watching ****ing country file...

The point is, political statements about a criminal should not be made on a family show. What happened was wrong and completely undeserved however the man was a criminal.

I don't watch Countryfile as I don't pay for a TV Licence.

What was the political message in your view?
I don't watch Countryfile as I don't pay for a TV Licence.

What was the political message in your view?

I’ve got to laugh as that’s something we can agree on, the first point at least.

From what I understand, they did a performance whereby they showed someone kneeling on a neck, which in turn shows support of the BLM movement which came about after the wrongful death of George Floyd, which is, as we now know a left wing, Marxist, radical, anti-Semitic organisation?
From what I understand, they did a performance whereby they showed someone kneeling on a neck, which in turn shows support of the BLM movement which came about after the wrongful death of George Floyd, which is, as we now know a left wing, Marxist, radical, anti-Semitic organisation?

There's been so many people jumping on that bandwagon it's hardly surprising that the wheels came off.
For a group called diversity, they don't seem to be very diverse.

If they are going to allow one perspective they must at least allow the other...If they are going to allow the BLM a voice, they must allow those who oppose BLM and its leftist extremism a voice too, otherwise they are just being biased and indoctrinating. This is exactly what all this is. It's nothing but bias and indoctrination in marxism, in the far left, by the media.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Maybe a complimentary performance is needed where Uncle Sam is kneeling on John Bull.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6643520
Original post by Just my opinion
There's been so many people jumping on that bandwagon it's hardly surprising that the wheels came off.

Agreed.
Original post by Pinkisk
If they are going to allow one perspective they must at least allow the other...If they are going to allow the BLM, they must allow those who oppose BLM, leftist extremism, a voice too...otherwise they are just being biased and indoctrinating. This is exactly what all this is, its nothing but bias and indoctrination in marxism, in the far left, by the media.

Completely agree. I cannot wait until crowds are allowed back in football matches again. Lets see what happens when all of these overpaid premier league players start taking the knee.
Original post by Ascend
Maybe a complimentary performance is needed where Uncle Sam is kneeling on John Bull.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6643520

That's part of the issue here, and that thread makes very interesting reading. We are not America. We don't have the same problems. To try and make up that we do is complete poppycock. BGT is a family show. It should not be getting involved in issues like this. Me, and I know many many others, who are just regular citizens of this country are absolutely sick of having leftist woke ******** poured down our throats.
Original post by Pinkisk
If they are going to allow one perspective they must at least allow the other...If they are going to allow the BLM a voice, they must allow those who oppose BLM and its leftist extremism a voice too, otherwise they are just being biased and indoctrinating. This is exactly what all this is. It's nothing but bias and indoctrination in marxism, in the far left, by the media.

I think this is the point exactly..

I get annoyed when people say 'get politics out of x/y/z type of entertainment. In my experiance politics has always been a part of most forms of entertainment.. I don't think its the presence of politics that people are feeling uncomfortable with, its just that the political views are only being represented from one dimension. Go back 30 years and you could find TV shows/films that skew in both dirrections poltiical, some more progressive, some more conservative, and on each issue you got multiple perspectives. These days things in the media have become so one sided, and that's when I start to hear "I don't want politics in my ...." - really though they just need an alternative that fits the way they think, not the removal of politics entirely.

Youtube is a great counter example of where both sides and all opinions are actually represented, and funily enough despite being a major form of entertainement, you don't hear a lot of 'get poltiics out of youtube'.

Quick Reply

Latest