The Student Room Group

will exams be cancelled again?

From a year 14 feeling hopeless (I'm retaking year 13). Cag's were trash for me, hoping to prove myself in the exam
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i hope so
Reply 2
I-
Year 14??!
Retaking year 13 or 1st year of uni or are there countries with a year 14 🤯
I really doubt they will cancel exams again, it will literally be a waste of another year!!! I really hope they adjust the exams though!
Original post by Lookingzar
From a year 14 feeling hopeless

Let's hope not, given that it has been demonstrated that public pressure leads to awarding undeservedly high grades.
Original post by macy_m
I-
Year 14??!

Nah they’re probably just retaking y13 :smile:
Original post by jduxie4414
I really hope they adjust the exams though!

In what way?
Original post by bint el kalb
i hope so

same bro
Original post by macy_m
I-
Year 14??!

I sometimes say year 14 to mean gap year
If they cancel it there is likely to be a backlog of applicants not only from 2020 but 2021 so it could all build up :frown:
Original post by RogerOxon
In what way?

More optional questions so that there's less content that you need to learn; and to account for the fact different schools teach the course in different orders, etc.
I think my photography exam has already been cancelled- instead we are only having coursework 🧐
Reply 12
Let's hope not, given that it has been demonstrated that public pressure leads to awarding undeservedly high grades.

Or an incapable government awarding undeservedly low grades to students coming from a low socioeconomic background
Original post by epicnm
Or an incapable government awarding undeservedly low grades to students coming from a low socioeconomic background

I don't believe that. The government didn't write the correction algorithm either.

Well an algorithm that decided that no one from certain schools was going to get an A* regardless of how clever they are or how hard they worked might have had a bit of a problem tbh.

Imo should have rented out the largest rooms available and done the exams in shifts if necessary.
Original post by jduxie4414
More optional questions so that there's less content that you need to learn; and to account for the fact different schools teach the course in different orders, etc.

Wouldn't that devalue the qualifications, and cause (yet more) issues for universities?
Reply 16
I don't believe that. The government didn't write the correction algorithm either.

What don’t you believe?
It's weird though people think the algorithm worked because it was based off past data, when classes under the size of (5 or 15 i can't remember lol) got their teacher predicted grades and everyone else got grades altered by the algorithm. I think usually private schools have smaller class sizes so were less likely to be affected by downgrading so this was blatant classism from our government
Original post by Joinedup
Well an algorithm that decided that no one from certain schools was going to get an A* regardless of how clever they are or how hard they worked might have had a bit of a problem tbh.

Imo should have rented out the largest rooms available and done the exams in shifts if necessary.

Agreed. However, the corrected grades were, on average, fairer - just look at the percentage of A* and A grades awarded by CAGs. It's a mess.

IMO, exams should have been held, or public pressure to switch to CAGs resisted. There were problems with the corrected grades, for which a system of individual assessment should have been put in place. Instead, we've just over-awarded for schools with optimistic predicted grades, encouraging this disruptive behaviour.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by epicnm
What don’t you believe?

What I quoted:
Original post by epicnm

As I said, the government didn't award grades (they didn't design the correction algorithm), and I don't believe that students "from a low socioeconomic background" got "undeservedly low grades".

The main issue appeared to be the lack of correction of the grades of small cohorts, which makes sense mathematically, but gave the impression, to those that don't understand statistics, of bias.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest