The Student Room Group

Johnson to renege on Withdrawal Agreement

Boris Johnson has reportedly decided that the "oven ready" deal that he personally negotiated now doesn't make sense.

In doing so the UK will be breaking an international treaty before trade deals with other nations who are expected to trust us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/07/brexit-deal-never-made-sense-boris-johnson-tell-eu/

Spoiler

Due to this the Head of the UK Government Legal Department has now resigned.

https://www.ft.com/content/6186bf1c-055b-4de6-a643-4eea763e1b94

Spoiler

This is what solicitors do when they can no longer defend their client.

Scroll to see replies

I am beyond annoyed at this now. This is an utter **** up. It was anyway, but this man is an absolute disgrace. This was the ‘oven ready deal’ that he presented to the British people in a GE. If there’s something wrong with that deal that HE made, then we should have another GE, as it’s finally been revealed he’s talking through his arse again. Add to that, the sheer brazenness of being willing to not only tear up a withdrawal agreement but also in turn ignore what is an international peace treaty in the GFA; I’m speechless.

‘Brexit deal never made sense’ says man who negotiated it, signed it, prevented MPs from scrutinising it, campaigned for it and won a general election on the back of it.

He wants arrested. I hope the sheep that voted for this process and this man are happy. We’re even more of a laughing stock than we were.

/rant
(edited 3 years ago)
Much to the surprise of dozens of people, I'm sure.
The deal was only a stop-gap until a better deal could be negotiated. As a deal can't be negotiated it's right to opt for the next best thing (no deal). Reneging on a treaty isn't a big deal.

My hope is he remains strong and does follow through on all the threats. The worst move would be caving to anything the EU want. I don't like to call the discussions 'negotiations. Calling them negotiations implies both sides compromise on things. I don't want to see that. I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Miss Maddie
The deal was only a stop-gap until a better deal could be negotiated. As a deal can't be negotiated it's right to opt for the next best thing (no deal). Reneging on a treaty isn't a big deal.

My hope is he remains strong and does follow through on all the threats. The worst move would be caving to anything the EU want. I don't like to call the discussions 'negotiations. Calling them negotiations implies both sides compromise on things. I don't want to see that. I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!

Reneging on a treaty is a very big deal.

I too however hope we come out with a no deal and trash the NI protocol. I want to watch Britain burn.
The EU are acting reasonably all along in my opinion. I am so ashamed of this country and the criminal liar in number 10 that I do my utmost to avoid being seen as English when I am abroad.

The EU also remember his behaviour when the Brussels correspondent of the Daily Telegraph.
The Government has now confirmed that they do intend to break international law.

https://twitter.com/AdamJSchwarz/status/1303307680329740288

Breaking the law is now considered acceptable by our Government.

Biggest load of tosh I’ve read on here, and that includes my posts.

No deal is absolute suicide. Are you dense?
Original post by DiddyDec
The Government has now confirmed that they do intend to break international law.

Shocking state of affairs really. Shame he can’t be impeached!
Original post by imlikeahermit
Shocking state of affairs really. Shame he can’t be impeached!

I just have to keep telling myself, this is what the people voted for.

I hope they are happy.
I just have to keep telling myself, this is what the people voted for.

I hope they are happy.

Exactly the same. What you said earlier is spot on. I want to watch England burn. The working classes voted for this, I want them to see exactly what they’ve done. Racist uneducated sheep.
Biggest load of tosh I’ve read on here, and that includes my posts.

No deal is absolute suicide. Are you dense?

I genuinely believe no deal is the best outcome for all wealthy EU countries. When all countries are trading on a no deal basis they can start implementing agreements that work for them rather than relying on the EU that is constant compromise and dominated by the poor countries.
I genuinely believe no deal is the best outcome for all wealthy EU countries. When all countries are trading on a no deal basis they can start implementing agreements that work for them rather than relying on the EU that is constant compromise and dominated by the poor countries.

Why bother with agreements if one party can just change their end of the bargain to suit themselves whenever they want?

Would you make deals with someone that can't be trust to keep a promise?

The issue with that is that it is complete fallacy that all countries can trade on their own agreements. If all countries were following our lead and taking themselves out the biggest trading bloc in the world, in order to tailor make trade deals, that would in theory be less damaging, which I believe is what you are saying.

However, that is quite clearly not the case. We are erecting massive barriers to trade, and we are the only one's doing it. The job bloodbath has already begun under Covid and will only get worse when Boris ****s this up even more.

Thirdly, you better get used to being dominated by poor countries because that is the league we are relegating ourselves too. We are making ourselves a complete laughing stock. The world is in disbelief that we are committing economic euthanasia. We are a joke, and the EU owes us absolutely nothing. All for what? Sovereignty? Absolute ********.

Lastly, what is more troubling is that you seem to be absolutely fine with Boris and co breaking international law. What sort of example is that for a government to its citizens? Not to mention, the punishments we will face as a result.

We are a joke, because our people blindly followed a utopian promise, when in fact, nothing was even wrong in the first place. Just those damn immigrants coming over here and stealing jobs, which never happened to begin with.
The issue with that is that it is complete fallacy that all countries can trade on their own agreements. If all countries were following our lead and taking themselves out the biggest trading bloc in the world, in order to tailor make trade deals, that would in theory be less damaging, which I believe is what you are saying.

However, that is quite clearly not the case. We are erecting massive barriers to trade, and we are the only one's doing it. The job bloodbath has already begun under Covid and will only get worse when Boris ****s this up even more.

Thirdly, you better get used to being dominated by poor countries because that is the league we are relegating ourselves too. We are making ourselves a complete laughing stock. The world is in disbelief that we are committing economic euthanasia. We are a joke, and the EU owes us absolutely nothing. All for what? Sovereignty? Absolute ********.

Lastly, what is more troubling is that you seem to be absolutely fine with Boris and co breaking international law. What sort of example is that for a government to its citizens? Not to mention, the punishments we will face as a result.

We are a joke, because our people blindly followed a utopian promise, when in fact, nothing was even wrong in the first place. Just those damn immigrants coming over here and stealing jobs, which never happened to begin with.

You're mistaken. I'm suggesting we get out and ignore European harmony. We wait for the inevitable crumble of the EU. Everything else you said suffers from saying lots of words without substance. No one is a global laughing stocks. That's all nonsense. As too is talk of economic euthanasia.

International law isn't proper law. We're free to break is if it benefits us. As other have done and will continue to do. There aren't any serious punishments to come from it.
(edited 3 years ago)

Now? The Vote Leave campaign broke the law in 2016, and who was a part of this- Dominic Cummings, who now de facto runs the country.
I am in agreement with Maddie.

The withdrawal agreement as it stood last year was a blatant land grab by Ireland and as such beyond the politics of getting the process moved on i don't especially care that the government intends to tear it up (though it's more an admission that we are headed for No Deal so why stomach a bit we really hate).

To the wider negotiations i also agree that the government should not relent on the level playing field. There is more benefit in the long run from doing things which breach state aid, procurement and tax rules in the EU than even going around signing trade agreements in my opinion. That is before the intangible sovereignty benefit.
I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!

Everything in life is a compromise. If you want something, the compromise is you have to make is to pay money in return for the thing you want.

Without compromising you get nothing. What Boris is doing by breaking past agreements is to effectively become a theif. Theives take what they want and make no compromises. Would you do a deal with someone you don't trust? Would you do business with a theif?
Man who has twice been sacked for dishonesty turns out to be dishonest.

It seems that reality is finally catching up with Conservative supporters as it dawns on them that he is a poor leader.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/09/cabinet-league-table-johnson-plummets-into-the-bottom-third-of-our-cabinet-league-table.html
Reply 19
I am beyond annoyed at this now. This is an utter **** up. It was anyway, but this man is an absolute disgrace. This was the ‘oven ready deal’ that he presented to the British people in a GE. If there’s something wrong with that deal that HE made, then we should have another GE, as it’s finally been revealed he’s talking through his arse again. Add to that, the sheer brazenness of being willing to not only tear up a withdrawal agreement but also in turn ignore what is an international peace treaty in the GFA; I’m speechless.

‘Brexit deal never made sense’ says man who negotiated it, signed it, prevented MPs from scrutinising it, campaigned for it and won a general election on the back of it.

He wants arrested. I hope the sheep that voted for this process and this man are happy. We’re even more of a laughing stock than we were.

/rant

This is one thing we agree fully on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending