The Student Room Group

Qualifications for A Level Teaching?

Hi,
I've been seeing a lot of conflicting information about what you need to qualify as an A level teacher and I was wondering if anyone could clear that up?

So I have my degree in psych, and was wondering what else I need. If I obtain a PGCE secondary in History with QTS, will I be able to teach Psych in a college?

I've heard once you have a PGCE you can teach any level (primary, secondary, FE)?? Is that right?

Thanks all
Reply 1
It mostly depends on the school, although you are very unlikely to get a job in FE with just an undergraduate degree and pgce.
You can teach any level with a pgce, technically, but it can be difficult to move between primary and secondary.
You certainly could teach psychology with a psychology degree and a history pgce, but would be at a disadvantage applying for jobs compared to those who did a psychology pgce. Why not just do a psychology pgce?
Reply 2
Original post by L-K
It mostly depends on the school, although you are very unlikely to get a job in FE with just an undergraduate degree and pgce.
You can teach any level with a pgce, technically, but it can be difficult to move between primary and secondary.
You certainly could teach psychology with a psychology degree and a history pgce, but would be at a disadvantage applying for jobs compared to those who did a psychology pgce. Why not just do a psychology pgce?

Mostly it's because I want to experience teaching a range of institutions and because pcge psychology is not so easy to find, also I love History and its a lot more in demand at schools compared to Psych, as its more commonly taught at schools

So out of curiosity, if PGCE history would not be the best option for teaching Psych at A level what would you suggest?

Many thanks
Reply 3
Ideally you want to be doing a psychology pgce if you want to teach it at A level. That way your uni sessions and assignments will be on psychology and you'll get experience teaching it and be able to observe psychology lessons.
If you do a history pgce, you may be able to ask to teach a psychology class, but they are such different subjects it really would be up to the individual school.
Have you spoken to unis about whether you would actually get onto a History PGCE?

Jobs in colleges tend to be pretty competitive. I'm not convinced you'd find it easy to get a psychology job in a college with this background.

In schools which offer psychology, being able to offer another subject lower down the school will increase your employability BUT history is one of the "least shortage" secondary subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Have you spoken to unis about whether you would actually get onto a History PGCE?

Jobs in colleges tend to be pretty competitive. I'm not convinced you'd find it easy to get a psychology job in a college with this background.

In schools which offer psychology, being able to offer another subject lower down the school will increase your employability BUT history is one of the "least shortage" secondary subjects.

Yes I've spoken to a couple and they've said I'm fine because I've some school experience and because I've got an A level in History. Some have said that it is actually an advantage to have a PGCE in one subject and degree in another, do you agree?
Reply 6
Original post by L-K
Ideally you want to be doing a psychology pgce if you want to teach it at A level. That way your uni sessions and assignments will be on psychology and you'll get experience teaching it and be able to observe psychology lessons.
If you do a history pgce, you may be able to ask to teach a psychology class, but they are such different subjects it really would be up to the individual school.

OK cheers, I think I'll most likely stick with doing a History PGCE and teaching History in schools, and then seeing whether that school would allow me to teach psychology later on, but yeah, I don't know how likely it will be.
Thank you!
I'm surprised to hear this, because when I did my PGCE, most unis were pretty set on people having a degree that related to the subject they wanted to teach. I was applying for a shortage subject and did a joint honours and unis wanted to check my modules to make sure I had enough biology content- and this wasn't that long ago! I had a fair amount of relevant experience, too!

But if they've said they will consider you, then go for it!
Reply 8
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm surprised to hear this, because when I did my PGCE, most unis were pretty set on people having a degree that related to the subject they wanted to teach. I was applying for a shortage subject and did a joint honours and unis wanted to check my modules to make sure I had enough biology content- and this wasn't that long ago! I had a fair amount of relevant experience, too!

But if they've said they will consider you, then go for it!

Really??
I've been speaking to Newman Uni which is well known for teacher training, and I thought that if they were OK with it, employers would be too, but now I'm wondering..
Don't want to spend a year doing a PGCE and then struggle to get work - it's just that not as many schools teach psych at GCSE so I would have rather done the History one as most/all schools teach it. Can I ask when you did your PGCE? and where?
also I'm now a cover supervisor, which may be why they've agreed - because I'll have some experience in schools?
I did my PGCE 2018-19 at Bristol Uni.

Being a cover supervisor will definitely work in your favour and make you more desirable to unis but it shouldn't override any subject knowledge requirements they might have.

History is a comparatively tough subject to find work in anyway- which is not to say finding work will be hard, but it's more competitive than many other secondary subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending