The Student Room Group

TSR Makes Me Sad

So I got into Leeds after working really hard for 2 years after a-levels and I was so happy, I never even imagined someone like me could go to a RG university, I never set my standards that high. But whenever I go on TSR I feel right s**t, people talking about Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and putting down universities like Leeds etc... makes me feel worthless, even though I’m super proud I made it this far.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stop putting so much emphasis on other people and focus on yourself. Comparison will only hurt you.
Reply 2
ignore the snobs
Reply 3
Students here have unrealistic expectations of what it means to succeed in life. You should be proud of yourself, Leeds is a good school.
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
Stop putting so much emphasis on other people and focus on yourself. Comparison will only hurt you.

Original post by gjd800
ignore the snobs

Original post by LovelyMrFox
Students here have unrealistic expectations of what it means to succeed in life. You should be proud of yourself, Leeds is a good school.

Thank you everyone, I understand that not everyone posting on this site is genuine, but it’s easier said than done to stop comparing yourself when you see the same posts 100 times a day :frown: Leeds is a good uni, I just hate that people on TSR think you’re a failure if you don’t attend the top 5 universities in the country :redface:
How pathetic.
Reply 6
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
How pathetic.

Thank you for your most valuable insight.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your most valuable insight.

Well, this is an open thread am I not correct?
all relative - you're allowed to be proud of your achievements whether that's A*A*A* or BCC, ignore anyone who tries to gatekeep.
Reply 9
Well, this is an open thread am I not correct?

That’s why I said thank you. Do you not know how to read?
Lmao, why would they put down Leeds if it's top 15? That's literally one of my dream universities and you should be proud of your achievements. I'll tell you what, those people who are getting offers from Oxford or especially Imperial are mostly from private schools or from a decent family, although there are some who actually work extremely hard to get there. Nonetheless, Leeds is a very good uni, if you want to achieve even higher you can finish undergraduate there and do masters in very very top unis.
That’s why I said thank you. Do you not know how to read?

Very touchy, I'm sure Leeds will nurture that, not as good as UCL or Imperial but you'll get your money's worth.
Original post by _gcx
all relative - you're allowed to be proud of your achievements whether that's A*A*A* or BCC, ignore anyone who tries to gatekeep.

Lmao, why would they put down Leeds if it's top 15? That's literally one of my dream universities and you should be proud of your achievements. I'll tell you what, those people who are getting offers from Oxford or especially Imperial are mostly from private schools or from a decent family, although there are some who actually work extremely hard to get there. Nonetheless, Leeds is a very good uni, if you want to achieve even higher you can finish undergraduate there and do masters in very very top unis.

Thank you for your responses, I suppose achievements are relative to the individual :smile: And I hope you get into your dream university :biggrin: That is very true, most people on my course are from private school too, might be a bit intimidating :redface:
We all die in the end. Regardless if you go to Leeds or Oxford.
Very touchy, I'm sure Leeds will nurture that, not as good as UCL or Imperial but you'll get your money's worth.

Indeed. Hope you’ll get your money’s worth putting people down on TSR at 1:36 am :tongue:
Reply 15
Private school kids have a sheltered life in a lot of respects. You'll probably have a lot to teach them about life.
Thank you for your responses, I suppose achievements are relative to the individual :smile: And I hope you get into your dream university :biggrin: That is very true, most people on my course are from private school too, might be a bit intimidating :redface:

I am already at university! :tongue:
So I got into Leeds after working really hard for 2 years after a-levels and I was so happy, I never even imagined someone like me could go to a RG university, I never set my standards that high. But whenever I go on TSR I feel right s**t, people talking about Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and putting down universities like Leeds etc... makes me feel worthless, even though I’m super proud I made it this far.

To be fair most employers don't care what university you went to or know how much effort it was. It can actually be an advantage to be at a lower ranked university because you will get through the course much easier. I was at an average university and it was hard work 5 days a week but I know others who were at low ranked universities and they were only in for 2 or 3 half days a week yet to most employers they will see no difference in the extra effort
Original post by clin.edpsych
We all die in the end. Regardless if you go to Leeds or Oxford.

If only death was relevant to life.
Original post by _gcx
I am already at university! :tongue:

Oo sorry! What do you study? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest