The Student Room Group

My boyfriend can be kind of sexist

I’m all for ‘jokes.’ And I’m not a feminist either. But he always says stuff like ‘women aren’t funny’ ‘women aren’t as capable as men.’ And if someone is driving slow on the road he will say ‘I bet it’s a woman driver’ and I thought he was just joking at first. But I don’t think so as much now. And it’s starting to really annoy me. He always makes it come across as a ‘joke’ and when I confront him he always says it’s a joke.

Am I being too sensitive about this situation though?
I wouldn't stay in a relationship with someone like this, personally
Reply 2
Tell him his 'jokes' are insensitive and sexist, not funny.
I dont think your being sensitive at all, Id hate to be in a relationship with someone like that.
I stopped reading at ‘I’m not a feminist’
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
I wouldn't stay in a relationship with someone like this, personally

Okay thanks

Original post by LovelyMrFox
Tell him his 'jokes' are insensitive and sexist, not funny.
I dont think your being sensitive at all, Id hate to be in a relationship with someone like that.

Have tried to do that, I guess I need to have a genuine conversation with him he might take it in.

Original post by Euphoria101
I stopped reading at ‘I’m not a feminist’

Why
:redface:.

Does that sound like someone who has even the most basic respect for the opposite sex? If you ever want to start a family with him, what makes you think he would think positively about your future daughters capabilities? Use common sense here. :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by daniellasax17
:redface:.

Does that sound like someone who has even the most basic respect for the opposite sex? If you ever want to start a family with him, what makes you think he would think positively about your future daughters capabilities? Use common sense here. :redface:

I get your point. But I understand that guys can be immature sometimes and take ‘jokes’ too far
Original post by Anonymous
Why

If you’re grown enough to be in a relationship you should be grown enough to understand the importance of feminism. Whether or not you want to believe it, but women in the vast majority of countries are still treated unfairly. Don’t be someone who says ‘oh but they take it extreme’ - yes there are radical feminists. Just as there are radical vegans, radical religious groups, etc.
Reply 8
If you’re grown enough to be in a relationship you should be grown enough to understand the importance of feminism. Whether or not you want to believe it, but women in the vast majority of countries are still treated unfairly. Don’t be someone who says ‘oh but they take it extreme’ - yes there are radical feminists. Just as there are radical vegans, radical religious groups, etc.

Just because I don’t believe in a certain thing doesn’t mean I’m ‘immature.’ I’m all for women having equal rights etc. But there are MANY things that I don’t believe when it comes to feminism and either. The ‘extremists’ have ruined it for everyone. Feminism now is seen as belittling men. Trying to have more rights than men. The whole picture of that is what you think about when someone says ‘feminist.’

Also, I still believe in men being gentlemen. And feminists are furious when they act like one? You can’t open a door for a woman or even pull out a chair.
I’m all for ‘jokes.’ And I’m not a feminist either. But he always says stuff like ‘women aren’t funny’ ‘women aren’t as capable as men.’ And if someone is driving slow on the road he will say ‘I bet it’s a woman driver’ and I thought he was just joking at first. But I don’t think so as much now. And it’s starting to really annoy me. He always makes it come across as a ‘joke’ and when I confront him he always says it’s a joke.

i think you are being too sensitive - i constantly say how much i want to run over all cyclists, but i don't mean it, and everyone is allowed to say "i bet it's a.. person", it's no biggie
Just because I don’t believe in a certain thing doesn’t mean I’m ‘immature.’ I’m all for women having equal rights etc. But there are MANY things that I don’t believe when it comes to feminism and either. The ‘extremists’ have ruined it for everyone. Feminism now is seen as belittling men. Trying to have more rights than men. The whole picture of that is what you think about when someone says ‘feminist.’

Also, I still believe in men being gentlemen. And feminists are furious when they act like one? You can’t open a door for a woman or even pull out a chair.

Bruh-
You just ignored what I said but okay.

In theory, at the end of the day do you believe in gender equality? Do you believe women have autonomy over their own bodies? Do you believe in equal pay? Do you believe that women have the choice to wear literally whatever they want (obviously not public nudity)?

If you do, then I’m really sorry to break it to you but you’re a feminist. If you don’t, you’re immature.

Feminism isn’t just a ‘certain thing’. It’s literally about wanting to be independent of patriarchy.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i think you are being too sensitive - i constantly say how much i want to run over all cyclists, but i don't mean it, and everyone is allowed to say "i bet it's a.. person", it's no biggie

Wtf

Women are the weaker sex naturally, that is fact
Bruh-
You just ignored what I said but okay.

In theory, at the end of the day do you believe in gender equality? Do you believe women have autonomy over their own bodies? Do you believe in equal pay? Do you believe that women have the choice to wear literally whatever they want (obviously not public nudity)?

If you do, then I’m really sorry to break it to you but you’re a feminist. If you don’t, you’re immature.

Feminism isn’t just a ‘certain thing’. It’s literally about wanting to be independent of patriarchy.

I think you’re the one who’s ‘immature.’ Whether I agreed with your statement or not. Not having the room to accept somebody else’s opinion whether you agree with it or not is ‘immature’
I think you’re the one who’s ‘immature.’ Whether I agreed with your statement or not. Not having the room to accept somebody else’s opinion whether you agree with it or not is ‘immature’

Bruv it’s not an opinion, you just admitted you’re against equality
Bruv it’s not an opinion, you just admitted you’re against equality

I said I agree with some of the or even the majority of what’s included in feminism. But not all, so I wouldn’t call myself a feminism. I believe in god, but I don’t agree with a lot or majority of things in the bible so I don’t class myself as a ‘Christian.’ Same thing.
I said I agree with some of the or even the majority of what’s included in feminism. But not all, so I wouldn’t call myself a feminism. I believe in god, but I don’t agree with a lot or majority of things in the bible so I don’t class myself as a ‘Christian.’ Same thing.

damn right

Exactly man. I believe in equality not modern day feminism cuz its gone too far. I’m happy womenslives have gotten better but they r forgetting about men. What about mens feelings? Why are suicide rates 4x higher for men than women

Latest

Trending

Trending