The Student Room Group

Religion and Theology at Uni

I can't find much actual information about what will go into this course at university. Obviously each uni is different but I am currently doing Religious Studies at A level and I would ideally want a course with ONLY religion based studies. No philosophy or ethics but I'm not sure if that exists, since a lot of the courses have philosophy and ethics mentioned.
Well you could study an individual religion?
Reply 2
There is usually some philosophy involved even in purely ethographic, descriptive RS research, so I think you will struggle. I have taught on a couple of RS programmes as the resident philosopher. You might be able to avoid philosophically-heavy modules, but you have to remember that significant portions of all of the world religions have some philosophical nature, especially Indic traditions. Every world religion is at its base an ethical tradition (with the idea that ethical living can lead to salvation), so you will not be able to avoid ethics in toto, but you will not run into it in a purely philosophical sense like in a phil degree. It will be contextual and tradition-tailored.

Theology is also related to philosophy, though the focus is specific and peculiar (in philosophical terms, anyway). The upshot is that you will run into some philosophy, including ethics, and including epistemology. because even discussing what we can know of God involves thinking about how we can know about God, and to what end we know about God. So there will be some overlap.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bored_user:)
Well you could study an individual religion?

I haven't found any universities that offer that it's usually just religious studies as a whole but not sure if I'm looking in the right places to be honest.
Original post by lucys0038
I haven't found any universities that offer that it's usually just religious studies as a whole but not sure if I'm looking in the right places to be honest.

well you can study Islamic studies at Oxford or SOAS tbh? And there must be loads of courses like that. Have a look at the religion and theology course at Loughborough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending