The Student Room Group

Johnson to renege on Withdrawal Agreement

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Miss Maddie
You're mistaken. I'm suggesting we get out and ignore European harmony. We wait for the inevitable crumble of the EU. Everything else you said suffers from saying lots of words without substance. No one is a global laughing stocks. That's all nonsense. As too is talk of economic euthanasia.

International law isn't proper law. We're free to break is if it benefits us. As other have done and will continue to do. There aren't any serious punishments to come from it.

Absolute tosh. International law very much is proper law.

Original post by Rakas21
I am in agreement with Maddie.

The withdrawal agreement as it stood last year was a blatant land grab by Ireland and as such beyond the politics of getting the process moved on i don't especially care that the government intends to tear it up (though it's more an admission that we are headed for No Deal so why stomach a bit we really hate).

To the wider negotiations i also agree that the government should not relent on the level playing field. There is more benefit in the long run from doing things which breach state aid, procurement and tax rules in the EU than even going around signing trade agreements in my opinion. That is before the intangible sovereignty benefit.

Very disappointed to see you take such an unprincipled stance. This deal is one we voluntarily signed up for. It's one that Parliament voted through and the Tories campaigned on during an election. If we care about the rule of law and our democratic process, we must obide by our legal obligations. If not, we're no better than a banana Republic.

Not to mention that no country, anywhere, will ever sign a trade deal or treaty with us again if we don't honour our obligations.
Reply 21
The deal was only a stop-gap until a better deal could be negotiated. As a deal can't be negotiated it's right to opt for the next best thing (no deal). Reneging on a treaty isn't a big deal.

Impressive, wrong on all 3 counts. Especially the last one.

My hope is he remains strong and does follow through on all the threats. The worst move would be caving to anything the EU want. I don't like to call the discussions 'negotiations. Calling them negotiations implies both sides compromise on things. I don't want to see that. I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!

Sigh and this is why Britain is a 3rd rate power these days.
Original post by Napp
Sigh and this is why Britain is a 3rd rate power these days.

Will of the people and all that.
Reply 23
Original post by DiddyDec

B...b...but the EU will just give us an amazing deal coz they'd be too stupid not too right?
Boris Johnson has reportedly decided that the "oven ready" deal that he personally negotiated now doesn't make sense.

In doing so the UK will be breaking an international treaty before trade deals with other nations who are expected to trust us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/07/brexit-deal-never-made-sense-boris-johnson-tell-eu/

Spoiler

Due to this the Head of the UK Government Legal Department has now resigned.

https://www.ft.com/content/6186bf1c-055b-4de6-a643-4eea763e1b94

Spoiler

This is what solicitors do when they can no longer defend their client.

Why bother with agreements if one party can just change their end of the bargain to suit themselves whenever they want?

Would you make deals with someone that can't be trust to keep a promise?

Original post by imlikeahermit
I am beyond annoyed at this now. This is an utter **** up. It was anyway, but this man is an absolute disgrace. This was the ‘oven ready deal’ that he presented to the British people in a GE. If there’s something wrong with that deal that HE made, then we should have another GE, as it’s finally been revealed he’s talking through his arse again. Add to that, the sheer brazenness of being willing to not only tear up a withdrawal agreement but also in turn ignore what is an international peace treaty in the GFA; I’m speechless.

‘Brexit deal never made sense’ says man who negotiated it, signed it, prevented MPs from scrutinising it, campaigned for it and won a general election on the back of it.

He wants arrested. I hope the sheep that voted for this process and this man are happy. We’re even more of a laughing stock than we were.

/rant

Original post by barnetlad
The EU are acting reasonably all along in my opinion. I am so ashamed of this country and the criminal liar in number 10 that I do my utmost to avoid being seen as English when I am abroad.

The EU also remember his behaviour when the Brussels correspondent of the Daily Telegraph.

Please don't say such things around here as the Right Wing Brexiteers will be very unhappy! Such as

Mr Liber
Mr Paul
Mr L i b
Mr Burton
And a couple of others...

Besides and as I said to my other Thread: Those who vote for the Tories are either naive or stupid or both...
Although Brexit did steal votes from Labour idiots, the entire project is another success of the most ludicrous party in the UK consisting of the greatest Charlatans and Clowns of politics.

But wait a moment! What evidence do you have to condemn Brexit? What's that? Common sense?? Did you say common sense?! Did you say evidence based research by the London School of Economics?

These are not enough!!!

There is nothing more reliable and credible than

The SUN
The Daily Mail
The Daily Telegraph
The Daily Express
The Daily Star
(edited 3 years ago)
The deal was only a stop-gap until a better deal could be negotiated. As a deal can't be negotiated it's right to opt for the next best thing (no deal). Reneging on a treaty isn't a big deal.

My hope is he remains strong and does follow through on all the threats. The worst move would be caving to anything the EU want. I don't like to call the discussions 'negotiations. Calling them negotiations implies both sides compromise on things. I don't want to see that. I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!

You have absolutely no clue of what is going on!!!

Let's take our country back
Let's look at the world
Feedom from the oppresion of then EU
£350M per week for the NHS

And other oddities...
Original post by Lucifer323
Please don't say such things around here as the Right Wing Brexiteers will be very unhappy! Such as

Mr Liber
Mr Paul
Mr L i b
Mr Burton

Besides and as I said to my other Thread: Those who vote for the Tories are either naive or stupid or both...
Although Brexit did steal votes from Labour idiots, the entire project is another success of the most ludicrous party in the UK consisting of the greatest Charlatans and Clowns of politics.

But wait a moment! What evidence do you have to condemn Brexit? What's that? Common sense?? Did you say common sense?! Did you say evidence based research by the London School of Economics?

These are not enough!!!

The SUN
The Daily Mail
The Daily Telegraph
The Daily Express
The Daily Star

My OP literally quotes The Torygraph :lol:

Original post by DSilva
B...b...but the EU will just give us an amazing deal coz they'd be too stupid not too right?

We hold all the cards :rofl:
Original post by DSilva
Absolute tosh. International law very much is proper law.

Very disappointed to see you take such an unprincipled stance. This deal is one we voluntarily signed up for. It's one that Parliament voted through and the Tories campaigned on during an election. If we care about the rule of law and our democratic process, we must obide by our legal obligations. If not, we're no better than a banana Republic.

Not to mention that no country, anywhere, will ever sign a trade deal or treaty with us again if we don't honour our obligations.

We were trapped and needed to move on to the next stage. While I regret us not being able to act in good faith there’s really no incentive to maintain such an agreement without a trade agreement (this is effectively an admission we are allowing negotiations to end).

Our democratic process is being satisfied, our sovereign parliament will approve these changes.

You say this while ignoring the number of states in breach of a host of agreements. What makes this one so much more meaningful than any other countries. A single instance in a single part does not constitute a pattern.
Reply 28
Original post by Rakas21
We were trapped and needed to move on to the next stage. While I regret us not being able to act in good faith there’s really no incentive to maintain such an agreement without a trade agreement (this is effectively an admission we are allowing negotiations to end).

Our democratic process is being satisfied, our sovereign parliament will approve these changes.

You say this while ignoring the number of states in breach of a host of agreements. What makes this one so much more meaningful than any other countries. A single instance in a single part does not constitute a pattern.

This is a legally binding international treaty which we voluntarily signed up to.

If we don't abide by our legal obligations or uphold international treaties we are party to then no country will ever sign a treaty or trade agreement with us again. And why would they? Why would they sign an agreement with a country they can't trust to honour their obligations? Would you sign a deal with someone you couldn't trust to keep their end of it?

I love this country, and fundamental to that is the rule of law. I want this country to set an example to others. Shame you don't.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
This is a legally binding international treaty which we voluntarily signed up to.

If we don't abide by our legal obligations or uphold international treaties we are party to then no country will ever sign a treaty or trade agreement with us again. And why would they? Why would they sign an agreement with a country they can't trust to honour their obligations? Would you sign a deal with someone you couldn't trust to keep their end of it?

I love this country, and fundamental to that is the rule of law. I want this country to set an example to others. Shame you don't.

I agree but your conflating a single instance as being a pattern. Hell, the ECJ took France to court more often than the U.K. while we were members but I don’t see you suggesting France is a pariah state.

This is a very specific circumstance forced upon us by previous parliamentary constraints and EU intransigence.
Reply 30
Original post by Rakas21
I agree but your conflating a single instance as being a pattern. Hell, the ECJ took France to court more often than the U.K. while we were members but I don’t see you suggesting France is a pariah state.

This is a very specific circumstance forced upon us by previous parliamentary constraints and EU intransigence.

No, it was forced upon us by ourselves.

Johnson paraded this 'deal' as a huge success, as if he'd forced huge concessions from the EU. He campaigned on it, every Tory MP voted it through Parliament. In reality, this was a terrible deal which amounted to the UK capitulating to the EU.

But that's our own fault. If you voluntarily sign up to an an awful deal, you don't just get to ignore it because you now don't like it. We are legally bound by it.

This idea that it's fine for us to break the law is ludicrous. It's unpatriotic and unconservative. It goes against what this country stands for. And really, I expected better from you.

It's not a specific or limited contravention. It drives a horse and cart through the agreement we signed up to.
Original post by Rakas21

It wasn't forced on us at all. Johnson made this deal and was very happy with it, in fact he forced every Tory MP to pledge to vote for it.

How does a deal go from being "fantastic" to "not making sense" without the deal changing?
Original post by Rakas21

Indeed we were trapped but in a very different manner...

The most immature and ignorant electorate in Europe, if not in the world, chose to follow a bunch of Charlatan & Populists Politicians and voted against the National Interest. The damage is more than financial of course.

The worst decision in the history of Politics. Even worst than voting for the Tories continuously.
It wasn't forced on us at all. Johnson made this deal and was very happy with it, in fact he forced every Tory MP to pledge to vote for it.

How does a deal go from being "fantastic" to "not making sense" without the deal changing?

We shouldn't forget that we consider here the Tories as a Party and those who vote for them.

Everything is possible! From Fantastic to Nonsensical in a few weeks!
There is no logic when the Tories are involved and of course just as I have been saying in my thread Those who vote for the Tories, there is no logic and rational arguments to vote for them if you are not wealthy and rich. If you do it continuously you are plain stupid snd nothing else.
Original post by Rakas21

There are three things that make this exceptional

It isn't covered by dipomatic falsehood. Of course, this isn't the same order of magnitude, but can you think of any instance of a deliberate breach of international law since the 1930s? Iraq took back control of its 19th Province. The independent peoples of Crimea sought union with Russia. The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia punished his disobedient servants.

This is a recent commitment expressly adopted to deal with issue about which the breach is proposed. It is not a generic treaty, one of whose terms comes into conflict with something not extressly provided for in the treaty such as prisoner voting and the ECHR.

The committment was entered into by the same people who are going to breach it. This is not a Government caught by the unwise promises of its predecessors.

Boris has essentially gambled that he will get away with this. He may be right, or this will all unwind and his Government will fall.
Original post by nulli tertius
There are three things that make this exceptional

It isn't covered by dipomatic falsehood. Of course, this isn't the same order of magnitude, but can you think of any instance of a deliberate breach of international law since the 1930s? Iraq took back control of its 19th Province. The independent peoples of Crimea sought union with Russia. The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia punished his disobedient servants.

This is a recent commitment expressly adopted to deal with issue about which the breach is proposed. It is not a generic treaty, one of whose terms comes into conflict with something not extressly provided for in the treaty such as prisoner voting and the ECHR.

The committment was entered into by the same people who are going to breach it. This is not a Government caught by the unwise promises of its predecessors.

Boris has essentially gambled that he will get away with this. He may be right, or this will all unwind and his Government will fall.

A Government of fools and charlatans can only add assault to the injury.
Original post by DSilva
No, it was forced upon us by ourselves.

Johnson paraded this 'deal' as a huge success, as if he'd forced huge concessions from the EU. He campaigned on it, every Tory MP voted it through Parliament. In reality, this was a terrible deal which amounted to the UK capitulating to the EU.

But that's our own fault. If you voluntarily sign up to an an awful deal, you don't just get to ignore it because you now don't like it. We are legally bound by it.

This idea that it's fine for us to break the law is ludicrous. It's unpatriotic and unconservative. It goes against what this country stands for. And really, I expected better from you.

It's not a specific or limited contravention. It drives a horse and cart through the agreement we signed up to.

Law and order is something the Conservatives make a lot of noise of supporting. A tradition going back to when Robert Peel was their leader. Even if the reality has been that they have cut police numbers more than recent Labour governments.

Another reason why I say this is not a Conservative government, but one made up of members of the Conservative Party.

Mr Liber
Mr Paul
Mr L i b
Mr Burton

Please explain
1) how @Lib is a brexiteer?
2) how I am right wing?

Feel free to chant on with your parrot like drivel about the world being thick and stupid, Charlatans and Clowns and some BS about the Sun newspaper. In fact would you like me to reply for you... :u:
You're mistaken. I'm suggesting we get out and ignore European harmony. We wait for the inevitable crumble of the EU. Everything else you said suffers from saying lots of words without substance. No one is a global laughing stocks. That's all nonsense. As too is talk of economic euthanasia.

International law isn't proper law. We're free to break is if it benefits us. As other have done and will continue to do. There aren't any serious punishments to come from it.

"We wait for the inevitable crumble of the EU"

Not going to happen. If anything because of Covid they need each other more than ever, it is us who will be the outcasts.

"No one is a global laughing stock"

We are, don't lie to yourself. And this just tips us over the edge. Like another poster has said, do you really think anyone will take us seriously, or want to trade with us given the circumstances?

"International law isn't proper law. We're free to break is if it benefits us. As other have done and will continue to do. There aren't any serious punishments to come from it."

So trade embargoes etc wouldn't be damaging to an already dead nation, I suppose. It is also the sheer principle of it. Like I said above, do you want to be viewed as a country which has no morals?

Ya ya. 52% knew what they were voting for. :rolleyes:
Original post by DSilva

"They need us more than we need them."

Mr Liber
Mr Paul
Mr L i b
Mr Burton

These are not enough!!!

The SUN
The Daily Mail
The Daily Telegraph
The Daily Express
The Daily Star

The Mr's in front of usernames always make me laugh.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Please explain
1) how @Lib is a brexiteer?
2) how I am right wing?

Feel free to chant on with your parrot like drivel about the world being thick and stupid, Charlatans and Clowns and some BS about the Sun newspaper. In fact would you like me to reply for you... :u:

I'm intrigued what you think of this. In terms of, I'm not getting into another Brexit argument with you because we've been there and done that and both received plenty of T-Shirts, however, do you honestly think it's justifiable to break international law to 'Get Brexit done?'
Original post by imlikeahermit
I'm intrigued what you think of this. In terms of, I'm not getting into another Brexit argument with you because we've been there and done that and both received plenty of T-Shirts, however, do you honestly think it's justifiable to break international law to 'Get Brexit done?'

No I dont think it's a good idea to break an agreement or international law.

I'm going to be completely honest, I've been busy in my personal/professional life of recent therefore I'm a little out of touch with happenings. I'm not 100% sure what the current train wreck of a government has done, or what part if the agreement they have broke. However I don't think it's a good idea to break international agreements at a time when we are trying to sign new ones (or at least should be).

In short I'm not defending the government, however I'm a little uninformed on the subject matter at present, I'm finding it amusing how some hard core remainers are desperate to crow about stuff like this though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending