The Student Room Group

If you have given up on your dreams what is your story?

What are you doing with your life now?
nothing much tbh. kinda learning some languages.
wbu?
Original post by Vanessa Chuah
nothing much tbh. kinda learning some languages.
wbu?

Now I am going to uni to study Chinese. Definitely a far cry from my medical school dream.
idk my career paths keep changing. atm its teaching/educational psychology.

was teaching english at secondary, then law, then clinical psych.
(edited 3 years ago)
Was considering going to film school now considering doing an IT degree
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Was considering going to film school now considering doing an IT degree

Can you elaborate?
Original post by Anonymous1502
Can you elaborate?

Was considering doing a film degree (which was my dream) now considering doing an IT course
My dream used to be to become a clinical psychologist. It would involve studying BSc Psychology, then an (optional) masters in clinical psychology, then at least 2 years work experience as an assistant psychologist and then, finally, a DClinPsy programme.
I completed my first year of psychology at uni and got a first, but kept having doubts about the career prospects. Clinical psychology is an incredibly oversaturated career market. There are so many graduates and so few jobs/places on post-grad courses. Additionally, the mental health system in this country is so corrupt and not fit for purpose. The government puts barely any funding into mental health, hence the lack of jobs. Because of all this, I kept having an existential crisis at the old age of 20 and felt like I was wasting my time studying all this content, only for it to be forgotten.

I dropped out of uni and will be starting a job as a support worker in a hospital. Not a psychiatric hospital, just a general hospital. A lot of psychology graduates end up being support workers after their degree anyway, so it's not like I have fallen behind career-wise. I think I would like to return to uni in the future, but not to study anything mental health related.

Quick Reply

Latest