The Student Room Group

which uni is best for Economics or Economics and mathematics?

Out of King's, Manchester. Bristol, and Edinburgh which uni is best for Economics or Economics and mathematics. i have future prospects of becoming an Investment banker.
I would say Manchester.

King's econ department is fairly new
I would say definitely not Manchester lol. One of the other 3. Kings is in London and Bristol isn’t too far if you want to apply and go to interviews for banking jobs
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by JGoosey2002
I would say definitely not Manchester lol. One of the other 3. Kings is in London and Bristol isn’t too far if you want to apply and go to interviews for banking jobs

why not Manchester?
Original post by waseeqali
why not Manchester?

You said you wanted investment banking and the other 3 are solid semi targets. Afaik Manchester is not. There won’t be much in it and if Manchester is ur fav then go there but the others may put you in a slightly better position to break into banking
Reply 5
You said you wanted investment banking and the other 3 are solid semi targets. Afaik Manchester is not. There won’t be much in it and if Manchester is ur fav then go there but the others may put you in a slightly better position to break into banking

i cant find a clear answer as to which unis are targets and semi-targets. can you please classify most op unis in these categories. aren't all Russell group unis targets?
guys how good of a university is warwick to go into investment banking after doing economics?
i cant find a clear answer as to which unis are targets and semi-targets. can you please classify most op unis in these categories. aren't all Russell group unis targets?

I’m not into banking but I did apply do econ last year and when you look up econ on tsr everything is about targets and semi targets so I think I have a pretty good idea but not 100%

Targets (definitely)
Oxbridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
Imperial

Semi targets (definitely)
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Bath
Edinburgh
Cass

Semi targets (I think but can’t really remember)
KCL
St Andrews
Exeter
Maybe a few more like Loughborough

Is this to apply in 2021?
(edited 3 years ago)
whats so good about these target universities?
Original post by Josh burns
whats so good about these target universities?

Banks go there to speak to students so it’s much easier to get ur foot in the door to interviews for stuff like spring weeks, internships and jobs. Once you’re in the interview tho, you need to prove why you’re good so it only matters to give you a better chance at being seen
Reply 10
I’m not into banking but I did apply do econ last year and when you look up econ on tsr everything is about targets and semi targets so I think I have a pretty good idea but not 100%

Targets (definitely)
Oxbridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
Imperial

Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Bath
Edinburgh
Cass

KCL
St Andrews
Exeter

yes i'm thinking of applying in 2021. currently just starting my UCAS application. Do you think 2021 admission may be a little lenient than before?
yes i'm thinking of applying in 2021. currently just starting my UCAS application. Do you think 2021 admission may be a little lenient than before?

I have no idea. Try to get predicted A*AA with an A* in maths (idk if you do FM) and most places will make you an offer
how hard is warwick to get into

also how hard is it the get a first in an economics course?
how hard is warwick to get into

also how hard is it the get a first in an economics course?

What are ur subjects and predicteds?
What are ur subjects and predicteds?

maths bio chem AAA

But once in uni how hard is it to get a first
Reply 15

Targets (definitely)
Oxbridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
Imperial

Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Bath
Edinburgh
Cass

KCL
St Andrews
Exeter

why do you say KCL is a semi-target (one that you can't remember) it's in London which is the financial hub. wouldn't it be more advantageous to go there instead of say Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh.
why do you say KCL is a semi-target (one that you can't remember) it's in London which is the financial hub. wouldn't it be more advantageous to go there instead of say Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh.

Idk it’s not a target tho. Location isn’t that important, it’s just easier to get to interviews
maths bio chem AAA

But once in uni how hard is it to get a first

Idk I’m only one year above you. Get that maths up to an A* if you can. Tbh I don’t think you’ll get an offer from Warwick (for econ. Could probably get into like accounting and finance if you really wanna be at a target uni) but there’s no harm in trying. The ones I listed as semi targets will all probably let you in. I’m going to Bristol in 2 weeks having got AAA in maths, econ and accounting so I think places like that are what you should aim for unless you get that maths prediction up
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Out of King's, Manchester. Bristol, and Edinburgh which uni is best for Economics or Economics and mathematics. i have future prospects of becoming an Investment banker.

I'd say
Bristol/Edinburgh
Kings
Manchester
Kings or Manchester depends on if you prefer London or Manchester, they're close imo
Reply 19

i would say edinburgh their ranking is pretty good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending