The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Will uni consider me if I don’t have the right grades but the right experience?

I want to study Business at Strathclyde University in 2021, unfortunately I do not have the grades needed which are for 1st sitting AAAA (B at National 5 Maths) and for 2nd sitting AAAABB (B at National 5 Maths). In my results I just got I got ABBB & Nat 5 Maths at a C however with my subjects taken this year I won’t reach the grades needed.

I have a lot of experience in Business through school after getting an A at both Nat 5 & Higher Business Management. I also took Young Enterprise (you set up your own legitimate company which is registered) where I was managing director, and got the highest mark possible. I also sat the Young Enterprise Exam through Glasgow Caledonian University where I passed with a credit. For my last year at school I am taking part in a Business Skills foundation apprenticeship which is classed as a Higher.

Will the University take my experience into consideration or just dismiss me at the look of my grades?
Original post by Anonymous
I want to study Business at Strathclyde University in 2021, unfortunately I do not have the grades needed which are for 1st sitting AAAA (B at National 5 Maths) and for 2nd sitting AAAABB (B at National 5 Maths). In my results I just got I got ABBB & Nat 5 Maths at a C however with my subjects taken this year I won’t reach the grades needed.

I have a lot of experience in Business through school after getting an A at both Nat 5 & Higher Business Management. I also took Young Enterprise (you set up your own legitimate company which is registered) where I was managing director, and got the highest mark possible. I also sat the Young Enterprise Exam through Glasgow Caledonian University where I passed with a credit. For my last year at school I am taking part in a Business Skills foundation apprenticeship which is classed as a Higher.

Will the University take my experience into consideration or just dismiss me at the look of my grades?

Contact admissions or the course organiser and ask them.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Hey there! Thanks for getting in touch :biggrin: Glad to hear you're considering studying with us.

I have to say, our Business School is extremely competitive for entry which means we generally do look to grades to see how suitable a candidate is in the first instance. We do make some contextual offers, which you can find out if you're eligible for by clicking here. If you are eligible- this means you'd be looking to meet the 'minimum' entry requirements, rather than the 'standard' requirements. What subjects are you taking this year? And which subjects do you already have your ABBB in? :smile:

After we can see an applicant is qualified, we then look to personal statements and references to see what else an applicant has been up to, and whether or not they seem suitable overall for a place. All of your extra curricular activities do sound great, and I reckon they'd support your application really well. The Business School might just look for you to do a little bit more study in order to qualify academically for the course, and particularly they might need you to get the Nat 5 Maths grade up to a B. As @999tigger has said, getting in touch with them directly could give you a bit more direction. Their email address is [email protected].

Hope this is helpful! If you've any more questions please let me know.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
This year I am taking Higher Health & Food Technology, Higher History, Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills & National 5 Maths. I already have an A in Business Management, B’s in RMPS, Geography & English.

Unfortunately at my school due to the amount of people who didn’t pass Nat 5 Maths last year they are not letting anyone re sir who have already passed with a C as there is no space in any classes.
This year I am taking Higher Health & Food Technology, Higher History, Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills & National 5 Maths. I already have an A in Business Management, B’s in RMPS, Geography & English.

Unfortunately at my school due to the amount of people who didn’t pass Nat 5 Maths last year they are not letting anyone re sir who have already passed with a C as there is no space in any classes.

Hey! Ok, you're off to a good start with the subjects you've been studying. The Business School like to see students strong in 'essay based' subjects, which you've already got under your belt. I'd be wary of saying you'd be eligible for an offer given that you don't have the required Maths grade and are unlikely to be able to get it. I'd recommend popping an email over to the address I provided above to see what they think. Like I say, we do consider making contextual offers so if you're eligible for those then they may be able to set you conditions for you to achieve in S6 :smile:

Good luck to you! If you've any more questions get back in touch with us.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Hi Everyone😉I am currently on my 2nd Year of HND Business on Glasgow Kelvin College, and looking into moving to uni next year.Glasgow Caledonian accept me for 3rd Year Business Degree.Strathclyde accept me only for 2nd Year Business Degree. My question is: does it worth repeat 2nd year and go for Strathclyde Business School ORGo sraight to 3rd year on Glasgow Caledonian? Is that so relevant the reputation of Strathclyde or at the end what matters for business employers is we have been able to finish a degree by ourselves??? 🤔Thanks everyone
Hi Everyone😉
I am currently on my 2nd Year of HND Business on Glasgow Kelvin College, and looking into moving to uni next year.
Glasgow Caledonian accept me for 3rd Year Business Degree.
Strathclyde accept me only for 2nd Year Business Degree.
My question is:
does it worth repeat 2nd year and go for Strathclyde Business School
OR
Go sraight to 3rd year on Glasgow Caledonian?
Is that so relevant the reputation of Strathclyde or at the end what matters for business employers is we have been able to finish a degree by ourselves? 🤔
Thanks everyone
Did you get an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending