The Student Room Group

Did I have a heart attack?

So a few months back I was sitting at my desk drinking one of those 300mg caffeine energy drinks (don't remember the brand) and suddenly got a terrible terrible pain in my chest and left upper arm. I sat there for about 5 minutes (iirc) in stabbing pain then it slowly went away. What could this have been?

I need to do work again but I'm falling asleep because of the medication I'm on so I need to know what happened last time so I can work out whether it's ok to drink energy drinks again.

Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So a few months back I was sitting at my desk drinking one of those 300mg caffeine energy drinks (don't remember the brand) and suddenly got a terrible terrible pain in my chest and left upper arm. I sat there for about 5 minutes (iirc) in stabbing pain then it slowly went away. What could this have been?

I need to do work again but I'm falling asleep because of the medication I'm on so I need to know what happened last time so I can work out whether it's ok to drink energy drinks again.

Any ideas?

have you told a doctor this happened and instead asked if there's anyway to adjust your medication rather than have too much caffeine, some medications don't react well with caffeine so it's possible yours could be one of those.
This happens to me. When im sitting or lying in an awkward position, i get sharp pains in my heart area and feel so out of breath. It hurts to inhale deeply during that time. Idk what it is but fingers crossed i dont die some time

Any ideas?

This happens to me. When im sitting or lying in an awkward position, i get sharp pains in my heart area and feel so out of breath. It hurts to inhale deeply during that time. Idk what it is but fingers crossed i dont die some time

You both need to go and discuss this with your doctor ASAP.
Reply 4

Please speak with your GP :redface:

Same to OP, I doubt it was a heart attack but something is clearly off.
Reply 5

Yeah, at the time I thought I was going to die too. I haven't had any energy drinks since but was hoping some med student here might be able to tell me what it sounds like so I know if energy drinks are safe.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
have you told a doctor this happened and instead asked if there's anyway to adjust your medication rather than have too much caffeine, some medications don't react well with caffeine so it's possible yours could be one of those.

Original post by 5hyl33n
You both need to go and discuss this with your doctor ASAP.

Talking to my doctor would have been a good idea but as it only happened once I wasn't too worried. My doctor won't change the medication (in fact he just increased the dose) and I know I'm not allowed grapefruit but I assumed he'd have told me if I wasn't allowed caffeine.
Yeah, at the time I thought I was going to die too. I haven't had any energy drinks since but was hoping some med student here might be able to tell me what it sounds like so I know if energy drinks are safe.

LOL legit i stay as still as possible and swallow breathe until it goes away. You probably shouldn't drink any more energy drinks.
Talking to my doctor would have been a good idea but as it only happened once I wasn't too worried. My doctor won't change the medication (in fact he just increased the dose) and I know I'm not allowed grapefruit but I assumed he'd have told me if I wasn't allowed caffeine.

check the leaflet just incase and call your doctor.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Please speak with your GP :redface:

Same to OP, I doubt it was a heart attack but something is clearly off.

It doesnt happen often tho, maybe once or twice a month. I've always thought it was normal like chest cramps or something. Its PAINFUL let me tell you. I stay still as a statue or else it hurts more. I feel like the doctors wont take me seriously because they never do. Anyway, i seem to be healthy in every other aspect so i dont want to waste anyones time
LOL legit i stay as still as possible and swallow breathe until it goes away. You probably shouldn't drink any more energy drinks.

I forgot to mention that. I couldn't really breathe because I was in so much pain and breathing hurt more.
I forgot to mention that. I couldn't really breathe because I was in so much pain and breathing hurt more.

Yeah you had the same thing i do!!! I have to take small shallow breaths and if i tried to inhale any deeper, boom sharp stabbing pain returns. After a couple mins it starts to fade away and i start taking deeper breaths and moving around
Reply 12
It doesnt happen often tho, maybe once or twice a month. I've always thought it was normal like chest cramps or something. Its PAINFUL let me tell you. I stay still as a statue or else it hurts more. I feel like the doctors wont take me seriously because they never do. Anyway, i seem to be healthy in every other aspect so i dont want to waste anyones time

Your doctors are there to help you. It doesnt hurt to get it checked out.
Please take care of yourself and speak to your doctors,
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Your doctors are there to help you. It doesnt hurt to get it checked out.
Please take care of yourself and speak to your doctors,

Ahhhh do you really think so :frown: Im moving to uni this weekend
If it happens one more time, ill book an appointment.
Thank you for your help

1. Neither med students nor doctors can diagnose you over the internet. It wouldn't be ethical and we don't know you or your history.
2. It may have been a one off event but if it was something like a heart attack there is an underlying reason for it and you may need to be on medication

Please go and speak to your doctor concerning this. It could be nothing but its worth checking to be safe
talk to ur doctorrrrrr!!!
come on mate, just do it. better safe than sorry
Original post by AzureCeleste
1. Neither med students nor doctors can diagnose you over the internet. It wouldn't be ethical and we don't know you or your history.
2. It may have been a one off event but if it was something like a heart attack there is an underlying reason for it and you may need to be on medication

Please go and speak to your doctor concerning this. It could be nothing but its worth checking to be safe

I didn't want a diagnosis, just an idea about things with similar symptoms. Particularly heart attacks, I just wanted to know if they can resolve themselves after 5 minutes or do they always lead to death without medical help.
Sounds like something more anxiety related since energy drinks have so much caffeine in them :hugs: am not an expert on heart attacks but my nan did have a few and she said the feeling was more akin to drowning than anything.
Please talk to a professional if possible and especially if it gets worse :hugs:
Occasionally I get chest pains but its only ever after rowing so I've probably just pulled muscles lol
See your doctor

Latest