The Student Room Group

Johnson to renege on Withdrawal Agreement

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Burton Bridge
No I dont think it's a good idea to break an agreement or international law.

I'm going to be completely honest, I've been busy in my personal/professional life of recent therefore I'm a little out of touch with happenings. I'm not 100% sure what the current train wreck of a government has done, or what part if the agreement they have broke. However I don't think it's a good idea to break international agreements at a time when we are trying to sign new ones (or at least should be).

In short I'm not defending the government, however I'm a little uninformed on the subject matter at present, I'm finding it amusing how some hard core remainers are desperate to crow about stuff like this though

This sums up the bill pretty well.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/09/brexit-bill-northern-ireland-criticised-as-obvious-breach-of-international-law
Original post by Miss Maddie
The deal was only a stop-gap until a better deal could be negotiated. As a deal can't be negotiated it's right to opt for the next best thing (no deal). Reneging on a treaty isn't a big deal.

My hope is he remains strong and does follow through on all the threats. The worst move would be caving to anything the EU want. I don't like to call the discussions 'negotiations. Calling them negotiations implies both sides compromise on things. I don't want to see that. I would rather Britain refuses to make compromises!

Didn't think you as a leaver.
Original post by DiddyDec
Boris Johnson has reportedly decided that the "oven ready" deal that he personally negotiated now doesn't make sense.

In doing so the UK will be breaking an international treaty before trade deals with other nations who are expected to trust us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/07/brexit-deal-never-made-sense-boris-johnson-tell-eu/

Spoiler

Due to this the Head of the UK Government Legal Department has now resigned.

https://www.ft.com/content/6186bf1c-055b-4de6-a643-4eea763e1b94

Spoiler

This is what solicitors do when they can no longer defend their client.

Johnson signed an agreement that he knew he wan't going to keep. It's all going to plan for him.

I'd quite like a sauce that is more neutral rather than something from.the remainstream moan alot guardian, but I'll take a read and let you know my thoughts.
I'd quite like a sauce that is more neutral rather than something from.the remainstream moan alot guardian, but I'll take a read and let you know my thoughts.

The substance of the bill will not change regardless of which paper is reporting on it.

They are basically changing the mutual stuff on NI to unilateral.

It's basically an admission that they expect the trade negotiations to collapse.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
They are basically changing the mutual stuff on NI to unilateral.

It's basically an admission that they expect the trade negotiations to collapse.

I've just read into it and it's all abit hazy at the moment we dont actually know the full details of what the government are planning on doing, somethings Johnson's government is hell bent on achieving are things we dont do anyway.

I really think this could be a over exaggerated storm in a teacup, I guess we need to wait and see what will be actually in the finished bill after its passed through both houses before we jump to mass hysteria. I do find it funny how arch looney nobody remainers john major, Philip hammond and co have sprung up.out of nowhere to help the storm along it's way.

At the end of the day if trade deals do collapse, then no deal is here and the withdrawal agreement means diddly squat.... so..
(edited 3 years ago)
Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House has put out a statement on the matter and the ongoing FTA negotiations with the US.

"If the U.K. violates that international treaty and Brexit undermines the Good Friday accord, there will be absolutely no chance of a U.S.-U.K. trade agreement passing the Congress."
Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House has put out a statement on the matter and the ongoing FTA negotiations with the US.

"If the U.K. violates that international treaty and Brexit undermines the Good Friday accord, there will be absolutely no chance of a U.S.-U.K. trade agreement passing the Congress."

If if if.....if I was a woman I'd be a mother not a father

Let's just wait and see what actually happens, let's not get over excited.
I've just read into it and it's all abit hazy at the moment we dont actually know the full details of what the government are planning on doing, somethings Johnson's government is hell bent on achieving are things we dont do anyway.

I really think this could be a over exaggerated storm in a teacup, I guess we need to wait and see what will be actually in the finished bill after its passed through both houses before we jump to mass hysteria. I do find it funny how arch looney nobody remainers john major, Philip hammond and co have sprung up.out of nowhere to help the storm along it's way.

At the end of the day if trade deals do collapse, then no deal is here and the withdrawal agreement means diddly squat.... so..

On the later point that's the issue. The withdrawal agreement (divorce payment and NI provisions) are supposed to apply regardless.

Its also down to a genuine principal that you cannot amend a treaty you signed unilaterally.

Remoaners are naturally focussing on one side, leavers the other because nobody really likes the withdrawal stipulations for NI (it's an Irish land grab in effect).

I tend to be neutral to supportive of the government here because although I don't much like breaching the treaty I don't at all like the withdrawal agreement either. For me the British parliament is sovereign and so if on this issue it votes the change through then I can live with that.
If if if.....if I was a woman I'd be a mother not a father

Let's just wait and see what actually happens, let's not get over excited.

The EU don't look like they want to sit back and relax.

From a source that may be more to your liking "EU considers legal action as UK unpicks Brexit deal".
Reply 51
Original post by Lucifer323
Please don't say such things around here as the Right Wing Brexiteers will be very unhappy! Such as

Mr Liber
Mr Paul
Mr L i b
Mr Burton
And a couple of others...

Proud campaigner for Britain Stronger in Europe here - the sort that actually did active campaigning for a Remain vote rather than just mouth off on the interwebs - and before that, for many years, a member of the European Movement UK.

But, of course, clearly a "right-wing Brexiteer".
Original post by imlikeahermit
Biggest load of tosh I’ve read on here, and that includes my posts.

No deal is absolute suicide. Are you dense?

Brexit nonsense for once more!
Original post by L i b
Proud campaigner for Britain Stronger in Europe here - the sort that actually did active campaigning for a Remain vote rather than just mouth off on the interwebs - and before that, for many years, a member of the European Movement UK.

But, of course, clearly a "right-wing Brexiteer".

At the end of the day nobody is a Brexiteer.. My list will be reduced to Liber and Mr Burton...

Apologies for adding you up to the list I will now remove you.

😈😈😈
Exactly the same. What you said earlier is spot on. I want to watch England burn. The working classes voted for this, I want them to see exactly what they’ve done. Racist uneducated sheep.

If I was to make the last comment you made then I will be classified as ignorant and racist myself... And I will get some much criticisms from right and left wing Brexiteers. It's usually the right ones, but...

It seems that my comments have had a lot of success and the Brexiteers can't handle any criticisms and the truth...

You call them uneducated sheep, I call them naive and stupid.. Not far I will say...
I genuinely believe no deal is the best outcome for all wealthy EU countries. When all countries are trading on a no deal basis they can start implementing agreements that work for them rather than relying on the EU that is constant compromise and dominated by the poor countries.

Oops! Another deluted Brexiteer!

What on Earth are you talking about?!?!
You're mistaken. I'm suggesting we get out and ignore European harmony. We wait for the inevitable crumble of the EU. Everything else you said suffers from saying lots of words without substance. No one is a global laughing stocks. That's all nonsense. As too is talk of economic euthanasia.

International law isn't proper law. We're free to break is if it benefits us. As other have done and will continue to do. There aren't any serious punishments to come from it.

International law isn't proper law?!

On what grounds isn't proper law? Where on Earth??

You Brexiteers are very confused and that's why Brexit became so popular in the last 4-5 years.

The UK is indeed a laughing stock for the rest of the world. It has an electorate which is full of uneducated and igmorant voters who think they know about economics & politics as they were given the right by a reckless David Cameron to go to a referendum and express their ignorance and idiocy.

There is no issue in the EU. The only country leaving is the UK and not in the position to make any demands. You said we had to wait until the EU crambles. So of your fellow Brexiteers suggested that the EU will break up..
It looks increasingly likely that it is the UK that will break up as a result of the Brexit vote.

No ****!!!
The issue with that is that it is complete fallacy that all countries can trade on their own agreements. If all countries were following our lead and taking themselves out the biggest trading bloc in the world, in order to tailor make trade deals, that would in theory be less damaging, which I believe is what you are saying.

However, that is quite clearly not the case. We are erecting massive barriers to trade, and we are the only one's doing it. The job bloodbath has already begun under Covid and will only get worse when Boris ****s this up even more.

Thirdly, you better get used to being dominated by poor countries because that is the league we are relegating ourselves too. We are making ourselves a complete laughing stock. The world is in disbelief that we are committing economic euthanasia. We are a joke, and the EU owes us absolutely nothing. All for what? Sovereignty? Absolute ********.

Lastly, what is more troubling is that you seem to be absolutely fine with Boris and co breaking international law. What sort of example is that for a government to its citizens? Not to mention, the punishments we will face as a result.

We are a joke, because our people blindly followed a utopian promise, when in fact, nothing was even wrong in the first place. Just those damn immigrants coming over here and stealing jobs, which never happened to begin with.

It doesn't matter if we have become the laughing stock in Europe and the whole world.

It doesn't matter if the working classes and lower middle classes have voted against their interests and rights and have damaged the National Interest.

It doesn't matter if we face an economic disaster in the future and deals that will be very costly.

Nor it matters that we are not going to have an extra £350M for the NHS every week as promised.

And of course it doesn't matter that we could an have lost so many jobs with no prospect of recovering.

All it matters is that we are not going to have anymore immigrants from the EU, especially Polish, Romanians & Bulgarians, who take our jobs, and we will take our country back just like Priti Patel said many times. No more oppression from the EU and its unelected officials!

The UK is finally free!
Original post by Lucifer323
At the end of the day nobody is a Brexiteer.. My list will be reduced to Liber and Mr Burton...

Apologies for adding you up to the list I will now remove you.

😈😈😈

Oh you think me and LiberOfLondon voted 17.4 million times, that's interesting :rolleyes:

So now we have that cleared up :afraid: Maybe you can at last provide a little bit of reasoning as to why you believe I'm right wing, I have been waiting considerable time to here this genius. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending