The Student Room Group

HMRC Flexi working system

Good evening,
I started working for HMRC about three weeks ago. I am in a full flexi contract and I can work 7h 24 min from 7 AM to 7 PM, at any time Mon-Fri. According to the full flexi system, I can be in debit or credit for a maximum of 22 hours over a 4 week period (3 days).

With flexi-working, I thought I could just work 6 hours on a certain day, and work back the hours on another day. However, I can't clearly understand if I need to apply for the flexi leave in order to do so, i.e. ask my manager's permission through the HR system. If not, what's the point of having the flexi-leave? Perhaps, the flexi-leave system should be used only if don't work a certain amount of hours a certain day, for instance, half a day, while for shorter periods, I can just work less, and work it back on another day?
Can anyone help to clarify this? I was give a link with details by my manager but it doesn't really help to understand if I need to apply for flexi leave any time I work less than 7h 24 hours or only when I'd work half a day or less. Thank you
Hi
So for example if you come work in the morning and you check that there is leave availability showing for the day . You could book leave either annual or flexi so you could start your shift at 8 say and just work 2 hrs and leave at 10. You would put this on your flexi sheet and this would show as a debit of around 5 hrs. Then on other days you may build flexi - so work more than your shift which will then compensate for the flexi leave you took the other day. You can be in credit or debit 22 hrs
Hope this makes sense
Reply 2
Original post by Anisablue
Hi
So for example if you come work in the morning and you check that there is leave availability showing for the day . You could book leave either annual or flexi so you could start your shift at 8 say and just work 2 hrs and leave at 10. You would put this on your flexi sheet and this would show as a debit of around 5 hrs. Then on other days you may build flexi - so work more than your shift which will then compensate for the flexi leave you took the other day. You can be in credit or debit 22 hrs
Hope this makes sense

Hi,
Yes, everything goes into the flexi-sheet. However, I can't get when it's necessary to formally book a flexi-leave using the credit or going in debit.
Let's say in three days I have an appointment and I can work only 6 hours. Can I just work six hours, let's say from 8 to 14:30 (30 minutes break) ? This would obviously go into the flexi-sheet but should I also apply for a flexi-leave in the HR system? This is the point I can't really understand.
Hi
Yes you have to apply for it. Coz other wise if people just left for the day with out booking then there would be too many people off at the same time which could lead to customers not having their queries met. This is why you have to check leave availability before booking because there may be too many people off on leave for that day.
Can I ask what role do you do and department is it a telephoney role ?
Reply 4
Hi
Yes you have to apply for it. Coz other wise if people just left for the day with out booking then there would be too many people off at the same time which could lead to customers not having their queries met. This is why you have to check leave availability before booking because there may be too many people off on leave for that day.
Can I ask what role do you do and department is it a telephoney role ?

No, it's not a telephone role. HEO in counter-avoidance. I guess availability matters less in this case?

However, if I work all the 7h 24, there is no obligation for me to apply for any leave. I can start earlier and finish earlier right?
How long in advance can flexi leave be booked? Can I book it a couple of months in advance and then make sure I've some credit for it?
Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi
Aah okay hmm not really sure then as I’m going by the rules as if you where a telephoney adviser I’m a team leader and that how we work with regards to flexi leave. You will have to ask your manager for further clarity. Again with booking. Flexi leave in advance and then building enough in time- would be down to your managers say on that one . But with my team I will allow it only if it was actually possible to build enough leave to take for future booked flexi leave and I tell them if you don’t build enough then you would have to change it annual leave. Also you can only take a max of 5 days in one week as flexi twice a year. So bare that in mind.
Reply 6
Hi
Aah okay hmm not really sure then as I’m going by the rules as if you where a telephoney adviser I’m a team leader and that how we work with regards to flexi leave. You will have to ask your manager for further clarity. Again with booking. Flexi leave in advance and then building enough in time- would be down to your managers say on that one . But with my team I will allow it only if it was actually possible to build enough leave to take for future booked flexi leave and I tell them if you don’t build enough then you would have to change it annual leave. Also you can only take a max of 5 days in one week as flexi twice a year. So bare that in mind.

Thank you. Is there an HMRC employee handbook? I'd like to know how booking holidays at HMRC works. At the moment we don't have a manager so it's unclear how the process works. Is it first come first serve? Is it possible to book annuale leave several months in advance? Thank you.
Hi

Yes you can book months in advance and it is first come first serve
Hmrc intranet should tell you type in annual leave in search bar. It will only give an over view off your rights. But the actual process can differ from one department to the next. Best thing to do is just ask any manager or established staff member they will be able to tell you and I’m sure they won’t mind helping
Hi

Hi there, how does the flexi time work as a team leader (I'm guessing you're customer service department)? Also, is there any working from home during non-covid normality?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi it depends what department you work in. But when I worked in taxes I was still on shifts but could build flexi so start early finish late. I couldn’t just leave when I wanted I had to book leave. There was no home working pre- Covid
Thanks for the reply, can see is an old thread so appreciate that :smile: I'm high on a reserve list for the job at the minute so keeping my fingers crossed!
No problem I’m sure you will hear something soon good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending