The Student Room Group

Do normal press ups work the upper chest?

Above question
Original post by rj23
Above question

main-qimg-fd076cee81529ab1a500c865e3e28752.jpg
Reply 2
Yes, but try wide arm press ups too. They work your shoulders harder, helps get broader shoulders and more definition
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
main-qimg-fd076cee81529ab1a500c865e3e28752.jpg

Thanks
Original post by Max217
Yes, but try wide arm press ups too. They work your shoulders harder, helps get broader shoulders and more definition

Proof? Only thing I have heard about wide arm press ups is that they are more likely to cause injury.
Reply 5
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Proof? Only thing I have heard about wide arm press ups is that they are more likely to cause injury.

They are pretty widely used, they build up your shoulders and upper body well in my experience, and you can feel it working. As for causing injury, how is it more dangerous than a regular press up? Proper form and you should be fine
Original post by Max217
They are pretty widely used, they build up your shoulders and upper body well in my experience, and you can feel it working. As for causing injury, how is it more dangerous than a regular press up? Proper form and you should be fine

The proper form of a pushup is with your elbows tucked in, wide pushups don't allow this to happen and force you to shrug your shoulders and contort your elbows.
Reply 7
The proper form of a pushup is with your elbows tucked in, wide pushups don't allow this to happen and force you to shrug your shoulders and contort your elbows.

That is true, however that's just one side, provided you already have some decent chest strength, you can properly perform a wide arm push up, with similar form to a regular push up. Obviously it's personal choice, and I understand if you would rather stick to regular push ups, wide arms are something I always incorporate into work outs and have yet to have an issue - so I can't give actual proof, to be completely honest.
Reply 8

I thought the proper form of a push up is with elbows at a 45 degree angle.
Normal press ups work out the arms. The weight of the body going down is held by the arms, which builds their muscles.
Nope l was born with good genes l have broad shoulders l dont need to go to the gym
Wide arm is recommended for definition towards your shoulders but any push up works especially if it’s a slow rep, good form or perhaps weighted

Make sure you can feeeel it
Original post by rj23
Above question

Incline pushups target the upper chest better. Sticking to standard pushups isnt that beneficial.
Original post by rj23
I thought the proper form of a push up is with elbows at a 45 degree angle.

It can be, but you should aim for less because you want to stretch and tense the fibres of the chest as much as possble. The only way to do so is when your elbows are tucked in.
Reply 15
there are many types of push-ups for different situations. I trained up to pull-ups using diamond push-ups. I have heard wide arm push-ups can be bad for your shoulder joints long term, so I have limited the amount I do that. I am not a bodybuilder or anything too special so you should listen to what these smart people say as well.
Also, I just realized I didn't answer your question :colondollar: soory!
Reply 16
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Incline pushups target the upper chest better. Sticking to standard pushups isnt that beneficial.

Right, I’ll look into that then
Reply 17
Original post by rj23
Above question

yes and pushups are the best form of exercise along with pullups for bodyweights. Do plenty of them everyday and you will see insane results. make sure you work on your legs though too, if you have the chance to go for swimming then go for it otherwise do plenty of squats as well per day

Quick Reply

Latest