The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kcl or manchester

What’s a better uni KCL or Uni of Manchester

Scroll to see replies

KCL was my firm (AAB) and Manchester (A*A*A) was my insurance for Physics. It is irrational to have a higher offer as your insurance.

But KCL is what I chose as my firm. KCL is ranked higher in most of the rankings and it is more prestigious globally than UoM. You have better graduate prospects at KCL (4th in the UK after Oxbridge and Imperial). And since its in London you can build your contacts and expand your horizons more. So KCL is definitely better than UoM. But it does come down to what course you want to study!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I have an offer this year to do history and political Economy but I want to do pure political economy not history so in order to do it I’ll have to take a year out and reapply.

In that year out I’d be applying to Economics at Manchester, Political Economy at KCL and then the same course now, history and political economy as a safety.

Original post by bored_user:)
KCL was my firm (AAB) and Manchester (A*A*A) was my insurance for Physics. It is irrational to have a higher offer as your insurance.

But KCL is what I chose as my firm. KCL is ranked higher in most of the rankings and it is more prestigious globally than UoM. You have better graduate prospects at KCL (4th in the UK after Oxbridge and Imperial). And since its in London you can build your contacts and expand your horizons more. So KCL is definitely better than UoM. But it does come down to what course you want to study!
Original post by INEEDHELP.PLEASE
I have an offer this year to do history and political Economy but I want to do pure political economy not history so in order to do it I’ll have to take a year out and reapply.

In that year out I’d be applying to Economics at Manchester, Political Economy at KCL and then the same course now, history and political economy as a safety.

why dont you defer your current KCL offer as a safety and reapply ?

And Economics at KCL is fairly new however the contacts in London would get you a lot further than they would at UoM. So KCL is better!
I wanted to do that but UCAS said that’s not possible.

Also my course has history in it so I don’t know how beneficial it is to have history and political economy(like economics) as a degree to get into economics or IB as a career despite the opportunities in London
why dont you defer your current KCL offer as a safety and reapply ?

And Economics at KCL is fairly new however the contacts in London would get you a lot further than they would at UoM. So KCL is better!
I wanted to do that but UCAS said that’s not possible.

Also my course has history in it so I don’t know how beneficial it is to have history and political economy(like economics) as a degree to get into economics or IB as a career despite the opportunities in London

History wouldnt really be that helpful but I would advise you to take Political Economy instead.!
See that’s the problem. History doesn’t help and there’s no guarantee I get into political economy.

They want A*AA and I have A*AB but normally they say they look at people who just fall short and normally let people in with lower anyway. Not to mention I already have the grades vs applicants are predicted. I’d be writing my personal statement as history and economics again because my LSE course would be Economic History and UCL HPE so id need to accommodate for those although I don’t think I’ll be accepted to any of these courses. It would be difficult to get into those two uni’s especially as UCL was my firm and I got A*AB and they still said no cause they wanted AAA. As for KCL political economy despite having a high offer and acceptance rate I’m worried I’d be made unsuccessful
History wouldnt really be that helpful but I would advise you to take Political Economy instead.!
See that’s the problem. History doesn’t help and there’s no guarantee I get into political economy.

They want A*AA and I have A*AB but normally they say they look at people who just fall short and normally let people in with lower anyway. Not to mention I already have the grades vs applicants are predicted. I’d be writing my personal statement as history and economics again because my LSE course would be Economic History and UCL HPE so id need to accommodate for those although I don’t think I’ll be accepted to any of these courses. It would be difficult to get into those two uni’s especially as UCL was my firm and I got A*AB and they still said no cause they wanted AAA. As for KCL political economy despite having a high offer and acceptance rate I’m worried I’d be made unsuccessful

Yeaeh Ive seen your earlier post. But why dont you try and resit a subject over your gap year and also get some work experience related to Economics to boost your application?
To resit my B would be too much hassle in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that one of the history teachers who taught 30% off the spec and did coursework 20% left

Also getting work exp would be difficult too due to the current climate. Lots of places not doing it and seen some people have theirs cancelled
Yeaeh Ive seen your earlier post. But why dont you try and resit a subject over your gap year and also get some work experience related to Economics to boost your application?
To resit my B would be too much hassle in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that one of the history teachers who taught 30% off the spec and did coursework 20% left

Also getting work exp would be difficult too due to the current climate. Lots of places not doing it and seen some people have theirs cancelled

at this stage I would highly advise you to take up the degree at KCL... and then talk to your personal tutor to change your course somehow
I’m still not sure. I’ve done my modules and enrolled and stuff but I’m giving till Friday to decide. I feel like I’ll go there and they’ll still tell me no I can’t switch and i really do not want to do history there. And if I continue on then I’ll be liable to pay fees or I’d just waste time on reapplying. On the flip side I could be able to switch and it’s still a brilliant degree from a top uni that’s very employable and I won’t be losing out a year.

It’s very difficult because I don’t think history as part of the degree would help me but instead hurt me to go into economics and IB. If it wasn’t there I’d be over the moon. Not to mention the actual course is what I love and want to study

at this stage I would highly advise you to take up the degree at KCL... and then talk to your personal tutor to change your course somehow
I’m still not sure. I’ve done my modules and enrolled and stuff but I’m giving till Friday to decide. I feel like I’ll go there and they’ll still tell me no I can’t switch and i really do not want to do history there. And if I continue on then I’ll be liable to pay fees or I’d just waste time on reapplying. On the flip side I could be able to switch and it’s still a brilliant degree from a top uni that’s very employable and I won’t be losing out a year.

It’s very difficult because I don’t think history as part of the degree would help me but instead hurt me to go into economics and IB. If it wasn’t there I’d be over the moon. Not to mention the actual course is what I love and want to study

Or you could finish your degree even though you dont get to change and do a masters in Economics at a top uni like LSE or Oxbridge.
I was thinking that because I want to do a masters anyway and become a lecturer. Economics and IB is a back up plan but even a lot can change in 3 years so I wanted a degree that I’d enjoy and will get me into the masters but also economics and IB.
Or you could finish your degree even though you dont get to change and do a masters in Economics at a top uni like LSE or Oxbridge.
I was thinking that because I want to do a masters anyway and become a lecturer. Economics and IB is a back up plan but even a lot can change in 3 years so I wanted a degree that I’d enjoy and will get me into the masters but also economics and IB.

Well a masters in Econ will get you into A LOT OF STUFF and especially if its from a prestigious uni!

But if youre planning on attending this year.. let me know and Ill have a friend in the Econ department lol
Haha defo will do. Ngl I think I may just accept it. I’m so indecisive with this it hurts. Normally I’m planned out for everything and having this uncertainty is killing me
Well a masters in Econ will get you into A LOT OF STUFF and especially if its from a prestigious uni!

But if youre planning on attending this year.. let me know and Ill have a friend in the Econ department lol
Haha defo will do. Ngl I think I may just accept it. I’m so indecisive with this it hurts. Normally I’m planned out for everything and having this uncertainty is killing me

know personally I was planning on dropping out and applying to a better uni... but dont know lool (might apply for a transfer tho?)
know personally I was planning on dropping out and applying to a better uni... but dont know lool (might apply for a transfer tho?)

Where were you looking at?
Where were you looking at?

Well I got rejected from Cambridge and UCL but Im looking at UCL if I will transfer tbh or maybe Imperial

I'd say the global prestige is pretty even between the two. Manchester has way better graduate employability than KCL, so that's pretty even too. And a lot of people don't like London, and the contacts you build in London are very competitive. Personally, I'd say Manchester is better simply due to the poor student satisfaction at KCL; they're pretty much even in everything else.
We've heard a lot about the courses but nothing about the person. Central London unis are not campus based the way many provincial ones are, so you need to be ready to be more of an independent adult rather than living as a student as such. The person is also a factor here I feel.

Quick Reply

Latest