The Student Room Group

BREAKING: New Coronavirus Restrictions to be implemented across England from Monday

It's not really breaking news anymore since it was announced about two hours ago, but I hope you'll forgive the clickbait title. See the link below to the BBC news article.

---------------------------------------

Coronavirus: Social gatherings above six banned in England from 14 September.

"Social gatherings of more than six people will be illegal in England from Monday - with some exemptions - amid a steep rise in coronavirus cases.

A new legal limit will ban larger groups meeting anywhere socially indoors or outdoors, No 10 said.

But it will not apply to schools, workplaces or Covid-secure weddings, funerals and organised team sports.

It will be enforced through a £100 fine if people fail to comply with police, doubling up to a maximum of £3,200.

Several exemptions apply to the new rules - which come into force on 14 September - with households and support bubbles bigger than six people unaffected.

A full list of exemptions will be published by the government later.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to deliver further details at a Downing Street news conference on Wednesday."

---------------------------------------

My initial reaction was dismay I had scheduled a meeting of 15 university friends for the very day the restrictions come into effect. I was really looking forward to it; it would have been my first significant social interaction since March (other than my family).

However, it is right that the Government takes some action: infection rates have increased sharply in recent weeks, and it's easier to address it early while it’s not too severe. In addition, the population probably need a shot in the arm with regard to COVID-responsible behaviour people do appear to have become more complacent.

One thing strikes me as odd: after the lockdown was eased, I came to understand that Coronavirus restrictions would be implemented locally, responding to outbreaks in certain areas; yet this new restriction is applied to the whole of England.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131?fbclid=IwAR3nErYG0JQSDF9cUAkWsaOiWTuKle0jOKN4CEmS4YZRUvddxOFIlpoYSk4

Edit: formatting.
(edited 3 years ago)
It is the most paltry action that once again makes no logical sense and will be implemented without any parliamentary scrutiny.

I fully expect it to be full of loopholes like the rest of the Health Protection Regs.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
It is the most paltry action that once again makes no logical sense and will be implemented without any parliamentary scrutiny.

I fully expect it to be full of loopholes like the rest of the Health Protection Regs.

Yes, it does have some loopholes: schools, workplaces or Covid-secure weddings, funerals and organised team sports are exempt.

We'd be in a better situation if the Government had got the basics right in the first place: the contact tracing app (which they've dropped, after claiming it was going to be "world-beating"...), a usable/efficient testing system able to cope with demand... and so these new restrictions would not perhaps be necessary.

Personally, I think one of the most serious consequences of the Government's Coronavirus response will be damaged public confidence. Their failings e.g. over acquiring PPE, contact tracing, testing, and even matters not directly related to COVID, such as the A level results fiasco will leave many questioning why they should listen to the Government and obey its rules at all, and this will make it even more difficult for the Government to respond. I reckon that's partly why the economy is doing so badly as well I'd assume it must indicate the level of confidence in the Government (although I'm not an economist, so I stand ready to be corrected if I'm off the mark).
Reply 3
Original post by Jefferson I
Media sheep everywhere

Can you expand on that? Any further thoughts?

Why does the restriction make "no logical sense"?
Original post by 1st superstar
Why does the restriction make "no logical sense"?

I work in an office with 16 other people, if I were to leave work with those 16 people and sit in a park I would be breaking the law, but being in an office with them is legal.

How is that logical? Does the virus respect that I am in work and wait for me at the door to finish work?
Reply 6
s-l640 (2).jpg
Original post by OxMus
Yes, it does have some loopholes: schools, workplaces or Covid-secure weddings, funerals and organised team sports are exempt.

We'd be in a better situation if the Government had got the basics right in the first place: the contact tracing app (which they've dropped, after claiming it was going to be "world-beating"...), a usable/efficient testing system able to cope with demand... and so these new restrictions would not perhaps be necessary.

Personally, I think one of the most serious consequences of the Government's Coronavirus response will be damaged public confidence. Their failings e.g. over acquiring PPE, contact tracing, testing, and even matters not directly related to COVID, such as the A level results fiasco will leave many questioning why they should listen to the Government and obey its rules at all, and this will make it even more difficult for the Government to respond. I reckon that's partly why the economy is doing so badly as well I'd assume it must indicate the level of confidence in the Government (although I'm not an economist, so I stand ready to be corrected if I'm off the mark).

I will have to read the actual law when it is published to see how poorly written these ones are.
I work in an office with 16 other people, if I were to leave work with those 16 people and sit in a park I would be breaking the law, but being in an office with them is legal.

How is that logical? Does the virus respect that I am in work and wait for me at the door to finish work?

Honestly the government are simply making major decisions without thinking about the consequences and rationality. I am failing to keep up with the COVID-19 restrictions at this point.
Reply 9
We are conducting more tests than ever before, naturally the wider the net you cast, the more cases you will pick up, this doesn't neccessarily indicate a spike in the overall infection rate. Besides that, most of the recent infections have been among the under 30s, this is precisely the demographic who should be allowed to become infected to push us closer to herd immunity, they are highly unlikely to suffer any serious illness, let alone death. We should of course be isolating and shielding the vulnerable (if they so choose, they should be free to take the risk if they want), and letting the fit and healthy get on with their lives and salvage what's left of our wrecked economy.

More pointless knee jerkery and can kicking from a government that seems to be increasingly losing it's collective mind. I will not be obeying this latest dictat. **** them.
Original post by Wōden
We are conducting more tests than ever before, naturally the wider the net you cast, the more cases you will pick up, this doesn't neccessarily indicate a spike in the overall infection rate. Besides that, most of the recent infections have been among the under 30s, this is precisely the demographic who should be allowed to become infected to push us closer to herd immunity, they are highly unlikely to suffer any serious illness, let alone death. We should of course be isolating and shielding the vulnerable (if they so choose, they should be free to take the risk if they want), and letting the fit and healthy get on with their lives and salvage what's left of our wrecked economy.

More pointless knee jerkery and can kicking from a government that seems to be increasingly losing it's collective mind. I will not be obeying this latest dictat. **** them.

Lol
Original post by Wōden

You can easily comply by modifying your social arrangements to be business arrangements, thus breaking no laws.

Just use the law to your advantage.
Reply 12

It is ridiculous and frustrating; but to be fair to the Government, it's difficult to avoid some cognitive dissonance between Coronavirus restrictions and the complexities of people's lives.

It's obviously significant that keeping people in work as much as possible is a massive priority for the Government, and that would explain the exemptions that they have set out.
Original post by OxMus
It is ridiculous and frustrating; but to be fair to the Government, it's difficult to avoid some cognitive dissonance between Coronavirus restrictions and the complexities of people's lives.

It's obviously significant that keeping people in work as much as possible is a massive priority for the Government, and that would explain the exemptions that they have set out.

The exemptions will be to the laws own detriment. I will follow the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law.
Reply 14
Can anyone tell me why this thread never appears under the 'Latest Discussions' toolbar on the homepage of TSR?

Is it because of the forum it's in?
Original post by OxMus
Can anyone tell me why this thread never appears under the 'Latest Discussions' toolbar on the homepage of TSR?

Is it because of the forum it's in?

Because the Debate and Current Affairs forums (other than Educational) have been quarantined due to trolling brought on by the lack of active moderation by TSR.
Reply 16
Because the Debate and Current Affairs forums (other than Educational) have been quarantined due to trolling brought on by the lack of active moderation by TSR.

Oh... that’s a bit rubbish. That explains why hardly anyone has seen/posted and the thread is already dying.
Original post by OxMus
Oh... that’s a bit rubbish. That explains why hardly anyone has seen/posted and the thread is already dying.

And schools have gone back so less people are on here during the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending