The Student Room Group

4 A levels or 3 + EPQ

so in our school, we have to do 4 and then drop one in year 13 as we do an EPQ in year 13. However, i think there's this thing where you can stick with 4 but not do an EPQ.

what would you suggest I do?

At the moment I'm unsure as to what I want to do in the future. My subjects that im studying right now are Maths Furthemraths Physics and Chemistry, and if i had to drop one I wouldn't know which one to chose.

But Ive heard about how useful EPQs are and it seems really interesting and fun...

btw I'm in year 12. got 99999988887 for my GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vix.xvi
so in our school, we have to do 4 and then drop one in year 13 as we do an EPQ in year 13. However, i think there's this thing where you can stick with 4 but not do an EPQ.

At the moment I'm unsure as to what I want to do in the future. My subjects that im studying right now are Maths Furthemraths Physics and Chemistry, and if i had to drop one I wouldn't know which one to chose.

But Ive heard about how useful EPQs are and it seems really interesting and fun...

Unis only require three A levels (even best of the best unis) so you might find doing an EPQ easier as 1) It's only one year 2) It's easier compared to A levels. EPQs can also lower your entry requirements at some universities. It would be better to get AAA with an A in EPQ than ABBB with no EPQ as chances are unis won't even put the fourth A Level in the offer. Also if you drop one at the end of year 12, unless you're doing an AS exam you will have no qualification of that AS unlike EPQ
Original post by vix.xvi

Do you have to make this decision now? I would stick with the four and work out which degree you might want to study and whether all 4 might help your application.

Many students start Year 12 thinking they will drop subject X but end up dropping something else.
Cool I'm doing the same subjects.

I'm in year 13 and am doing Maths, physics and chemistry as A levels and Further maths as an AS level. I did an EPQ too. Personally I would have preferred to do all 4 as A levels alongside with the EPQ but I didnt have that option as the school wasn't able to timetable it (the slot for furthermaths overlapped my other subjects).
I do agree with the comment above though, 4 A levels is a lot more work than an EPQ and it would be much better to get high grades in 3 A levels than just meh grades in 4 A levels. Usually EPQs are written over the summer, so you will have quite a lot of time to complete it and you will have less stress. Some unis like Southampton could give you lower entry requirements if you do an EPQ but others like oxford and cambridge wont. EPQs do show that you are capable of doing work interdependently and teach you a bit on referencing, it's quite a good intro to uni learning.

I think an EPQ could be more beneficial unless you truly want to take subject number 4. Still, I think you should wait until the end of the year is closer before you make a decision on this.
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
If you’re taking further maths and you want to drop a subject, you don’t have a choice; you would have to drop further maths. Most unis (to my knowledge) don’t accept further maths as a separate A level so if you dropped any other subject, you would only have 2 A levels and wouldn’t be able to apply to university

I think that might depend on the uni. Because for the ones I've been looking at, most of them highly recommend taking further maths
Original post by Dechante
Unis only require three A levels (even best of the best unis) so you might find doing an EPQ easier as 1) It's only one year 2) It's easier compared to A levels. EPQs can also lower your entry requirements at some universities. It would be better to get AAA with an A in EPQ than ABBB with no EPQ as chances are unis won't even put the fourth A Level in the offer. Also if you drop one at the end of year 12, unless you're doing an AS exam you will have no qualification of that AS unlike EPQ

ah ok thank you for your reply
I'm sitting an AS exam for definite at the end of year 12, just not sure which subject I'm doing it for.
just wondering though, would top unis (Eg. Oxbridge) prefer 4? eg. I'm considering earth sciences rn...
Original post by lege-lego
I think that might depend on the uni. Because for the ones I've been looking at, most of them highly recommend taking further maths

yeahh
Cool I'm doing the same subjects.

I'm in year 13 and am doing Maths, physics and chemistry as A levels and Further maths as an AS level. I did an EPQ too. Personally I would have preferred to do all 4 as A levels alongside with the EPQ but I didnt have that option as the school wasn't able to timetable it (the slot for furthermaths overlapped my other subjects).
I do agree with the comment above though, 4 A levels is a lot more work than an EPQ and it would be much better to get high grades in 3 A levels than just meh grades in 4 A levels. Usually EPQs are written over the summer, so you will have quite a lot of time to complete it and you will have less stress. Some unis like Southampton could give you lower entry requirements if you do an EPQ but others like oxford and cambridge wont. EPQs do show that you are capable of doing work interdependently and teach you a bit on referencing, it's quite a good intro to uni learning.

I think an EPQ could be more beneficial unless you truly want to take subject number 4. Still, I think you should wait until the end of the year is closer before you make a decision on this.

ahh ok thanks for ur reply!
yeah i guess ill just have to wait and see what i feel like at the end of the year

Oh maybe. This is just what I’ve heard so if you have looked into it, then you’re more likely to be correct than me :smile:
If you’re taking further maths and you want to drop a subject, you don’t have a choice; you would have to drop further maths. Most unis (to my knowledge) don’t accept further maths as a separate A level so if you dropped any other subject, you would only have 2 A levels and wouldn’t be able to apply to university

Please don't post wrong information - it's only a few courses for Medicine that don't count further maths.

It is a preferred subject for many courses ....

hmm yeah ik some unis wont like further maths if its not related to the course, but for something like engineering further maths is a basically a must
Original post by Muttley79
Please don't post wrong information - it's only a few courses for Medicine that don't count further maths.

ahh ok thank you for confirming!
Original post by vix.xvi
hmm yeah ik some unis wont like further maths if its not related to the course, but for something like engineering further maths is a basically a must

It isn't a 'must' for Engineering - many of the newer unis [which are great for this degree] don't require it. However I'd keep all four for now :smile:
Reply 13
4 + EPQ.

unless you plan to study maths
Original post by Muttley79

Sorry! I will delete my post. That was what I have been told before by a couple of people, but I definitely should have checked it first :smile:
Original post by hajima
4 + EPQ.

thats not an option lol..
ahh ok thank youu
Original post by vix.xvi
ahh ok thank youu

It's not true though ...
Where did you get this wrong information from? It depends on the degree ...

Quick Reply

Latest