The Student Room Group

Law people/students help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply this: Would I be missing out if I did an LLB Law with International Study/Relations/Law, rather than simply an LLB in Law?

I am interested in diversity, other cultures and studying abroad (preferably in East Asia) and ALSO heavy-ish languages study (which I will probably do in my spare time or as an extra-curricular as I do NOT want to be doing a degree in languages).

Could anyone recommend me any UK LLB Law courses that offer study abroad in Japan/Korea/Mainland China or perhaps subjects or modules in a reputable university for International Law?

Or whether I should just take normal law and pick the modules for it?? I am currently in Year 13, studying Eng Lit, Philosophy and Ethics and Business Studies and I did an EPQ.

Predicted grades from JANUARY 2020 (subject to change of course!)- low A, low B, low B
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by saikikusuoo
Simply this: Would I be missing out if I did an LLB Law with International Study/Relations/Law, rather than simply an LLB in Law?

I am interested in diversity, other cultures and studying abroad (preferably in East Asia) and ALSO heavy-ish languages study (which I will probably do in my spare time or as an extra-curricular as I do NOT want to be doing a degree in languages).

Could anyone recommend me any UK LLB Law courses that offer study abroad in Japan/Korea/Mainland China or perhaps subjects or modules in a reputable university for International Law?

Or whether I should just take normal law and pick the modules for it?? I am currently in Year 13, studying Eng Lit, Philosophy and Ethics and Business Studies and I did an EPQ.

Predicted grades from JANUARY 2020 (subject to change of course!)- low A, low B, low B

If you're really interested in doing international law/study abroad, remember that it can add another year onto your degree including fees and stuff that come with it.

That being said:
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2021/lawstudyabroadenglish/
University of Warwick, avaliable study in Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and Europe

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/11156/llb-law-with-international-study/course-details
University of Manchester, avaliable study in Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and Europe
Reply 2
Original post by EmiBat42
If you're really interested in doing international law/study abroad, remember that it can add another year onto your degree including fees and stuff that come with it.

That being said:
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2021/lawstudyabroadenglish/
University of Warwick, avaliable study in Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and Europe

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/11156/llb-law-with-international-study/course-details
University of Manchester, avaliable study in Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and Europe

Thank you for your reply. Yes I do realise it can add on time however I would rather spend that time wisely abroad learning something new and eye-opening and doing something different from the rest rather than simply studying a normal degree in a usual setting. The fees and things I suppose depends, I thought student finance covers things although I have not been told about this step yet as we are only just starting personal statements. Maybe the cost is on the individual, however I am still going to look for a course that does at least a year abroad or some form of international work.

Thank you!

you should try Soas
Reply 4
Original post by Khadizabegum101
you should try Soas

Hii thank you for your reply :smile: i have applied for uni now and wont be looking to apply there anymore but ty!
Hii thank you for your reply :smile: i have applied for uni now and wont be looking to apply there anymore but ty!

what unis did you apply to?
Reply 6
what unis did you apply to?

surrey, sussex, leicester, brunel and kingston. are you in uni currently?

Hi!

It's great to hear you have applied to Surrey!

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni in general please let me know. In addition, if you would like to see Surrey from a student's perspective each well please make sure to follow our Instagram page: SurreyStudent.

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)

Nope, I'm going to university this year aswell xx
Reply 9
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi!

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni in general please let me know. In addition, if you would like to see Surrey from a student's perspective each well please make sure to follow our Instagram page: SurreyStudent.

hello becca! yes thank you so much :smile: i am excited and also want to do further research! xx lizzy
Nope, I'm going to university this year aswell xx

oh nice :smile: where have u applied and wht r u studying? x
hello becca! yes thank you so much :smile: i am excited and also want to do further research! xx lizzy

Aw Lizzy, I am glad you are excited!

Like I say please don't hesitate to ask me any questions or queries you have. I am here to help :smile:

Becca
Aw Lizzy, I am glad you are excited!

Like I say please don't hesitate to ask me any questions or queries you have. I am here to help :smile:

Becca

Thank you so much! xx I actually was wondering about Year abroads.. do you think they will still take place at surrey in the next couple years despite the situation? and are there any korea based year abroads for LAW students? is it usually year 3 you go on one?? xx Lizzy
Hi Johnny! Thanks for the detailed reply! I appreciate it.
I have in the end looked into it further and saw that even with a normal LLB there are slightly international modules in them! I am looking forward to doing a year abroad fingers crossed in a few years time at the unis I applied to! I have applied to one or two international law degrees but am also looking for heavy language study on the side :smile: (may just have to be my own effort and not degree related!) I will need to decide soon all my choices as I have already got all my offers back! Will have to just wait and see what time tells! Thanks again - Lizzy
Thank you so much! xx I actually was wondering about Year abroads.. do you think they will still take place at surrey in the next couple years despite the situation? and are there any korea based year abroads for LAW students? is it usually year 3 you go on one?? xx Lizzy

Hi Lizzy,

That's a really good question. I am currently applying for a placement year however I was interested in studying abroad too but decided to stick with a placement year. I believe that a year abroad in the next few years will depend on the current situation in the UK and the country that you want your year abroad to be in. I also have seen some people being allocated a year abroad this year but that is obviously subject to what COVID will be like in the summer. You normally do your year abroad/placement year in year 3 and then return to do your final year in year 4. Although I could be wrong, I believe that when applying for a year abroad you are able to look at the universities Surrey work with and choose choices depending on your preferences. I have found this link where you can see what countries you can do your year abroad in with law. https://surrey.moveon4.com/publisher/1/eng#

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Becca :smile:
Hi!

Hi, Does the Law degree offer placements abroad in the US?
Original post by azaadi2020
Hi, Does the Law degree offer placements abroad in the US?

Hi there,

Although I could be wrong, I believe that when applying for a year abroad you are able to look at the universities Surrey work with and choose choices depending on your preferences. I have found this link where you can see what countries you can do your year abroad in with law. https://surrey.moveon4.com/publisher/1/eng# If you click on subject and go to Law, it does look as though there is some US universities that support students from Surrey studying law to go there.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Becca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending