The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. If you had a heart attack and didn't get medical treatment, you'd be dead right now.

But that's not to say it's nothing serious. If I had to guess I'd say your heart had a misfire that made it malfunction for a short while. I'd suggest talking to your doctor about hereditary heart conditions, since on sunday I took in about a gram of caffeine (DON'T repeat) over about an hour and apart from the crash, I was totally fine, which suggests your heart is vulnerable to disruptions, and you need to get that checked out before you do have a heart attack.
Original post by Cryoraptor
No. If you had a heart attack and didn't get medical treatment, you'd be dead right now.

But that's not to say it's nothing serious. If I had to guess I'd say your heart had a misfire that made it malfunction for a short while. I'd suggest talking to your doctor about hereditary heart conditions, since on sunday I took in about a gram of caffeine (DON'T repeat) over about an hour and apart from the crash, I was totally fine, which suggests your heart is vulnerable to disruptions, and you need to get that checked out before you do have a heart attack.

Is it still worth seeing a doctor since it was months ago? Like can they even detect if there is a problem after such a long time has passed?

And yes, I didn't know whether heart attacks are always fatal without medical intervention so thanks for clearing that up.
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't want a diagnosis, just an idea about things with similar symptoms. Particularly heart attacks, I just wanted to know if they can resolve themselves after 5 minutes or do they always lead to death without medical help.

Other things can have similar symptoms and it is possible for heart attacks to resolve them self

Heart attack does not mean you die. People can have silent heart attacks which may not be identified until a while after the event took place. Please don't spread false information.
Original post by AzureCeleste
Other things can have similar symptoms and it is possible for heart attacks to resolve them self

Heart attack does not mean you die. People can have silent heart attacks which may not be identified until a while after the event took place. Please don't spread false information.

Huh? I was under the impression heart attacks were basically a death sentence without intervention...
Is it still worth seeing a doctor since it was months ago? Like can they even detect if there is a problem after such a long time has passed?

And yes, I didn't know whether heart attacks are always fatal without medical intervention so thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, you don't know what caused it and if it could happen again or if something is permanently weakened because of it.
Huh? I was under the impression heart attacks were basically a death sentence without intervention...

No not necessarily.
A heart attack tends to arise due to some sort of blockage in the vessels which supply the heart. This could be due to a clot for example. Sometimes blood clots just end up resolving themselves and treatment doesn't need given to resolve it. However, part of your heart muscle does die during this so to prevent further attacks patients are put on medication (often blood thinners to prevent further clots from arising). For some people the clot may not resolve and as such they do require treatment or they will die- ultimately if you are having a heart attack you should always receive medical attention.
Heart attacks can present in different ways so some people may not realise they have had one
Hope this makes some sense.
A similar thing happened to me when I had one of those Monster Espresso drinks a few years ago (aka caffeine overload). It could possibily be heart palpitations and heatburn that you experienced. Caffeine irritates the oesophagus and stomach lining, hence the heartburn. I would avoid energy drinks though, they are full of nasty ingredients. Have something like matcha green tea for some natural energy and antioxidants!
This is just speculation though. If you are still worried, see a doctor! :doctor:
No not necessarily.
A heart attack tends to arise due to some sort of blockage in the vessels which supply the heart. This could be due to a clot for example. Sometimes blood clots just end up resolving themselves and treatment doesn't need given to resolve it. However, part of your heart muscle does die during this so to prevent further attacks patients are put on medication (often blood thinners to prevent further clots from arising). For some people the clot may not resolve and as such they do require treatment or they will die- ultimately if you are having a heart attack you should always receive medical attention.
Heart attacks can present in different ways so some people may not realise they have had one

To complicate things, I have haemophilia so I always thought that puts me at a lower risk of heart attacks as my blood doesn't clot as easily as other people's. Are there causes other than blood clots? If I went to my GP could he listen to my chest and work out if this episode damaged my heart or would I need to go to a hospital for more complete testing?
To complicate things, I have haemophilia so I always thought that puts me at a lower risk of heart attacks as my blood doesn't clot as easily as other people's. Are there causes other than blood clots? If I went to my GP could he listen to my chest and work out if this episode damaged my heart or would I need to go to a hospital for more complete testing?

Yeah like a build up of cholesterol could also narrow the arteries which could also potentially lead to a heart attack.
As far as I'm aware listening to the heart would not suffice in diagnosing if a heart attack had happened- I'm pretty sure this far down the line an ECG is the only thing that could be done to determine if you had one (I could be completely wrong though but from my knowledge of the heart this is what I think).
I think its worth making an appointment with the GP and find out what they think, they may decide its worth further tests, they may not. They will ask you all the necessary questions to determine the best course of action.
No not necessarily.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing this up. I thought once a heart valve blocked, you're a dead man walking unless you got urgent medical treatment. Clearly this isn't the case.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing this up. I thought once a heart valve blocked, you're a dead man walking unless you got urgent medical treatment. Clearly this isn't the case.

heart attacks have nothing to do with valves, they are caused by a blockage in blood vessels
So a few months back I was sitting at my desk drinking one of those 300mg caffeine energy drinks (don't remember the brand) and suddenly got a terrible terrible pain in my chest and left upper arm. I sat there for about 5 minutes (iirc) in stabbing pain then it slowly went away. What could this have been?

I need to do work again but I'm falling asleep because of the medication I'm on so I need to know what happened last time so I can work out whether it's ok to drink energy drinks again.

Any ideas?

This has happened to me before. Believe me, heart attacks don't just come and go, they're a serious medical emergency. Chances are, you were experiencing a panic attack, where it feels like you're having a heart attack and comes out of nowhere (when it's related to something that's scared you it's an anxiety attack, panic attacks are random and feel like heart attacks).
Original post by black tea
heart attacks have nothing to do with valves, they are caused by a blockage in blood vessels

Aren't the valves blood vessels though:confused: My year 10 biology may be failing me right now

EDIT: turns out they aren't, my year 10 biology is really rusty lol. Yeah in that context I meant the blood vessels.
(edited 3 years ago)
You can't self heal from a heart attack so no it wasn't, but check a gp as the pain could've been related to something else
Aren't the valves blood vessels though:confused: My year 10 biology may be failing me right now

No, valves and blood vessels are not the same thing. These are the valves inside the heart:

Veins also have valves inside them to stop blood flowing back:

Arteries don't have valves though, and it's the arteries that get blocked up during a heart attack.
Original post by AstaYunoo
You can't self heal from a heart attack so no it wasn't, but check a gp as the pain could've been related to something else

As has already been said, you can.
No, valves and blood vessels are not the same thing. These are the valves inside the heart:

Veins also have valves inside them to stop blood flowing back:

Arteries don't have valves though, and it's the arteries that get blocked up during a heart attack.

Yep, I just looked that up, I feel like a right div now. In the context I was talking in, I was referring to the blood vessels

Not within 5 minutes after a blood clot, saying it's a heart attack is almost a certain misdiagnosis as OP would've needed an ambulance if it was indeed a heart attack :colonhash:
You gotta check with a doc! But it might not be a heart attack! It is normal for people to get stabs of pain in heart when either there is an indigestion so might cause a heartburn or due to muscle spasms!
Original post by AstaYunoo
Not within 5 minutes after a blood clot, saying it's a heart attack is almost a certain misdiagnosis as OP would've needed an ambulance if it was indeed a heart attack :colonhash:

It's obviously highly, highly unlikely that OP has had one but many people have a heart attack and don't even realise.
I didn't want a diagnosis, just an idea about things with similar symptoms. Particularly heart attacks, I just wanted to know if they can resolve themselves after 5 minutes or do they always lead to death without medical help.

Most heart attacks do not kill.

They do leave permanent heart damage though.
No not necessarily.

Its not really a 'clot' resolving - its more that either the vessel isn't completely blocked or its sufficiently small that the downstream heart muscle dying is still compatible with life.

Most heart attacks are not simply clots.
To complicate things, I have haemophilia so I always thought that puts me at a lower risk of heart attacks as my blood doesn't clot as easily as other people's.

It does actually put you at a lower risk - something like 50% lower, depending on lots of things. Still quite possible though.
I'm pretty sure this far down the line an ECG is the only thing that could be done to determine if you had one (I could be completely wrong though but from my knowledge of the heart this is what I think).

ECG would be the first port of call and that is available in most GPs, but there are lots of scans a hospital could do to check if they wanted.

Latest