The Student Room Group

Official PlayStation Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit disappointed tbh, the graphical leap up from PS4 doesn't look that grand

The leaps were much bigger in the early console days, like from snes/megadrive to playstation, and playstation to playstation 2
Original post by ANM775
I'm a bit disappointed tbh, the graphical leap up from PS4 doesn't look that grand

The leaps were much bigger in the early console days, like from snes/megadrive to playstation, and playstation to playstation 2

What has to be considered is where the benefits are, you can actually tell when watching the streams that there have been big step ups by comparing the quality of the stream when you had the Ratchet & Clank vs Horizon. The improvements are in the details and those finer details kill streams and look awful due to the compression when streaming.

You also have that when looking purely in terms of texture resolution and polygon count you're looking at increasingly severely diminishing returns, you could increase from 4k to 8k to 16k textures but very little is actually gained from it while a lot more work is required so you're also seeing a shift towards better physics simulations whether that be more realistic hair and grass movement, better particle effects (something else that kills streamed video quality) or ray tracing, these are all things that do make games look better and more immersive but aren't always immediately noticeable.

There will be massive steps up, you just won't notice them until you're seeing them personally.
Original post by Jammy Duel
What has to be considered is where the benefits are, you can actually tell when watching the streams that there have been big step ups by comparing the quality of the stream when you had the Ratchet & Clank vs Horizon. The improvements are in the details and those finer details kill streams and look awful due to the compression when streaming.

You also have that when looking purely in terms of texture resolution and polygon count you're looking at increasingly severely diminishing returns, you could increase from 4k to 8k to 16k textures but very little is actually gained from it while a lot more work is required so you're also seeing a shift towards better physics simulations whether that be more realistic hair and grass movement, better particle effects (something else that kills streamed video quality) or ray tracing, these are all things that do make games look better and more immersive but aren't always immediately noticeable.

There will be massive steps up, you just won't notice them until you're seeing them personally.

I watched a youtube video comparing ps4 versions of like horizon and spiderman to the new ps5 games ... also racket and clank and the step up didn't seem that big imo

my monitor is just standard, idk if it would look better in 4k or something but from what i saw it didn't look like a massive leap
Original post by ANM775
I watched a youtube video comparing ps4 versions of like horizon and spiderman to the new ps5 games ... also racket and clank and the step up didn't seem that big imo

my monitor is just standard, idk if it would look better in 4k or something but from what i saw it didn't look like a massive leap

As I said, a lot of the stuff won't be immediately noticeable if you aren't looking for it but will be noticed if you go back from PS5 to PS4, stuff like increased view distance, increased LOD at greater distances, better lighting, better physics in the form of things like how hair moves.

If you're comparing individual frames some stuff won't be noticeable because it requires motion such as with your physics

It is also possible that some stuff does not utilise all the capability due to their being a PS4 version and the devs not putting the extra work in to properly optimise for both platforms, it is entirely possible that there will be another mini bump when you stop having cross generational launches

Ratchet and Clank isn't going to be a very good one to look at because the art style does not lend itself to further improvements in the traditional sense and judging by the commentary they really have not been very ambitious in the ray tracing implementation and the environments used in the trailer wouldn't have shown it off anyway. Alternatively it is indicative of the ray tracing hardware not being very good and it ultimately being a gimmick that no devs use because of how weak it is.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Halo effect, having the best of the best induces people to buy your mainstream products at a higher price than they're really worth due to the association, sure they may not have the best, but they're buying from the best. It's why Nvidia have dominated the discrete GPU market despite almost always having lower value products than AMD, they've held the performance crown for must be the best part of a decade now with no breaks longer than a couple of weeks between product announcements and have essentially been an entire product generation ahead of AMD for years.

I see.

On the computing front Apple have a halo effect, despite usually producing mid-range stuff at top-range prices and running a very closed ecosystem.
Considering today is the 25th Birthday of PlayStation, I reckon its time we launch a PS thread to discuss all things PlayStation and gaming. in terms of ground rules, make sure you dont discriminate (although banter about xbox and master race is allowed :lol: )
anyone want to hazard a guess how much the PS5 will cost. microsoft has announced that the series X will be £449 (or £28.99 a month with xbox all access membership) and the series S will be £249 (or £20.99 a month with all access). Both xboxes are due to be released 10th november with pre-orders going live on 22nd september.

With this in mind, how much are you willing to spend on a PS5 and how much do you reckon the PS5s will cost?
Original post by quasa
anyone want to hazard a guess how much the PS5 will cost. microsoft has announced that the series X will be £449 (or £28.99 a month with xbox all access membership) and the series S will be £249 (or £20.99 a month with all access). Both xboxes are due to be released 10th november with pre-orders going live on 22nd september.

With this in mind, how much are you willing to spend on a PS5 and how much do you reckon the PS5s will cost?

Now that MSoft have pulled the trigger, I'd wager them matching the $499/£449 for the main unit and go $/£50 cheaper on the digital edition. With that said, with the Series X being so cheap I wouldn't be surprised to go aggressive on the diskless model.
thing is with the series S, it is capped at 1440p (2k), whereas the X is 4k. both ps5 models are 4k, so i reckon the the discless would be more than the s but not more than the X.
Original post by quasa
thing is with the series S, it is capped at 1440p (2k), whereas the X is 4k. both ps5 models are 4k, so i reckon the the discless would be more than the s but not more than the X.

Oh yeah there's no way in hell they can go as cheap as the Series S (I covered everything on that in another thread) even with the loss-leader model consoles have historically adopted, but they could try and push the price into the £350 range.
noticed odd numbered ps' tend to be in the £400+ range when new whereas 2 was ~£300 and ps4 was £349 iirc. i would expect the diskless version to be no more than £425, although if they were aggressive, it would be £350 and disk version slightly less than series x (say £400-£425).

shame sony isnt announcing ps5 related stuff today as its playstations 25th anniversary today
Original post by quasa
noticed odd numbered ps' tend to be in the £400+ range when new whereas 2 was ~£300 and ps4 was £349 iirc. i would expect the diskless version to be no more than £425, although if they were aggressive, it would be £350 and disk version slightly less than series x (say £400-£425).

shame sony isnt announcing ps5 related stuff today as its playstations 25th anniversary today

I wouldn't read too far into pricing history with a sample size of five and about 6 years between each release. It's not like phones, processors etc with a regular "tick-tock" release cycle, they're going to evaluate each release based on the market at the time.
amazon japan has listed all the official accessories for the ps5 will be out in japan on November 20th. Does that indicate a November 20th release date globally I wonder?
Original post by quasa
amazon japan has listed all the official accessories for the ps5 will be out in japan on November 20th. Does that indicate a November 20th release date globally I wonder?

Asian markets have historically had a different release date (although Msoft are doing a same day launch worldwide this year), so assuming that's the correct launch date in Japan and not just a placeholder, it could potentially be up to a week either side of that date. I can't imagine it would be later though.
Original post by quasa
Considering today is the 25th Birthday of PlayStation, I reckon its time we launch a PS thread to discuss all things PlayStation and gaming. in terms of ground rules, make sure you dont discriminate (although banter about xbox and master race is allowed :lol: )

PS1 is 25 years old now? how time flies! the best game on that console was Crash Bandicoot, the last game I played was doom.
Original post by Kallisto
PS1 is 25 years old now? how time flies! the best game on that console was Crash Bandicoot, the last game I played was doom.

I preferred spyro to crash (although cortex was best badguy ps1 gen). Mgs1 and gran turismo were other ps1 greats as well
Original post by quasa
I preferred spyro to crash (although cortex was best badguy ps1 gen). Mgs1 and gran turismo were other ps1 greats as well

As you maybe know I did not own a PS console, just played the games when I was invited by a good friend of mine. And as he was a great ego shooter fan, I have almost played games connected to this genre. :rolleyes:
As you maybe know I did not own a PS console, just played the games when I was invited by a good friend of mine. And as he was a great ego shooter fan, I have almost played games connected to this genre. :rolleyes:

I did not know. Now I know. I hear ego shooter is great. Ps2 for me holds greatest memories
Original post by quasa
I did not know. Now I know. I hear ego shooter is great. Ps2 for me holds greatest memories

And the greatest memories includes the Spyro games? this and Crash Bandicoot are the games I couldn't play, but I would have like to.
(edited 3 years ago)
And the greatest memories includes the Spyro games? this and Crash Bandicoot are the games I couldn't play, but I would have like to.

Of ps1, I'd say spyro and gran turismo tbh. Crash I was never into much but preferred cortex to the spyro badguys

Quick Reply

Latest