The Student Room Group

How to meet new people on a Masters?

Hi so i’m starting my masters course in 2 weeks and I don’t know anyone else doing a Masters. Non of my friends stayed on, so how do I meet new people with Covid happening?

I still need to wait for the face to face enrollment alternative arrangements to be made so I can’t find out my course leader or anyone else is. Anyone know if there would be any course group chats happening or anything? Or how I could find it and join it? I can’t find anything when i’m searching it on facebook which is where they have the placeholder page on.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so i’m starting my masters course in 2 weeks and I don’t know anyone else doing a Masters. Non of my friends stayed on, so how do I meet new people with Covid happening?

I still need to wait for the face to face enrollment alternative arrangements to be made so I can’t find out my course leader or anyone else is. Anyone know if there would be any course group chats happening or anything? Or how I could find it and join it? I can’t find anything when i’m searching it on facebook which is where they have the placeholder page on.

Departments or your university's postgrad society might run online socials - if not, you can ask them to.
Original post by Anonymous

You'll probably find that a lot of other students on your Masters course don't know each other either - even if they are alumni from the university - so you'll all be in the same position, which makes it easier to get talking. Masters cohorts also tend to be quite a bit smaller than undergraduate ones so that also helps in terms of getting to know each other!

As far as group chats go, its worth asking your Student's Union and/or academic department whether they are aware of any group chats or forums for your course. At Keele, for example, both our Student Union and our Postgraduate Student Association run Facebook pages for the student community. If there doesn't seem to be a group chat for your course, pop a comment on the general student community page to see if you can connect with other new starters and get one going - that's what a lot of our students have been doing!

Do also bear in mind that, even with Covid, your Students Union and many of your university's clubs and societies will still be trying to arrange social events - whether those are socially distanced on-campus events or virtual ones. These can be great ways of meeting new people - when I started my MA I didn't know anyone but I quickly met other PG students at Postgraduate Coffee Morning (which has been taking place online since Covid lockdown) and also joined a Role-Playing Association, which helped me meet people with shared interests (again, I've been playing games online with my D&D friends through lockdown as well). There's sometimes an impression that the 'freshers' events and societies are an undergraduate thing but they're really not so I'd definitely recommend attending any form of society sign-up or introductory/welcome events that your university is holding.

Amy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending