The Student Room Group

3% away from getting a 2:1 degree classification

Does anyone know what to do and how to kindly ask University of Cumbria for the 2:1 if I am only 3% away from a 2:1 ? Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Unless you have very good reason, I don't think you can really appeal unfortunately
Unis don't just give away 2:1s!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know what to do and how to kindly ask University of Cumbria for the 2:1 if I am only 3% away from a 2:1 ? Many thanks

You would have to look at their appeals process, but this is usually only allowable if you think that they treated you unfairly. I will have to look, but some unis have a policy that if a student is x % away from the next grade then past modules will be looked at and if there is enough reason to award the upper boundary they will consider doing so, but the board will already have considered this by the time you got your result. I was 0.09% away from a first and got awarded the upper boundary.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you've already been given a 2:2, all policies concerning near misses/rounding up will have already been considered and unfortunately the exam board will have decided to award you a 2:2 still. You would have to find more specific grounds for an appeal as opposed to just being close.
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
You would have to look at their appeals process, but this is usually only allowable if you think that they treated you unfairly. I will have to look, but some unis have a policy that if a student is x % away from the next grade then past modules will be looked at and if there is enough reason to award the upper boundary they will consider doing so, but the board will already have considered this by the time you got your result. I was 0.09% away from a first and got awarded the upper boundary.

Oh I see yes I read all their policy it says 2% below but I am 3% with a score of 57,46% . How do you think I should appeal ? they said on their regulation should have a valid reason and proof as well.
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
If you've already been given a 2:2, all policies concerning near misses/rounding up will have already been considered and unfortunately the exam board will have decided to award you a 2:2 still. You would have to find more specific grounds for an appeal as opposed to just being close.

Did not get the classification yet but I did it myself as per their regulations and is coming up with 57.46% so 3% away from 2:1z
Reply 6
It's likely outside of appeal time scales now anyway. Accept your 2.2 and move on.
Reply 7
3% is massive. You deserved that 2:2 and you'll now have it for the rest of your life, so embrace it.
Reply 8
Original post by Pathway
It's likely outside of appeal time scales now anyway. Accept your 2.2 and move on.

Did not revive it yet . So I wonder if I can ask them before they will send me out the transcript so is not out of the scale .
Did not get the classification yet but I did it myself as per their regulations and is coming up with 57.46% so 3% away from 2:1z

It's a Desmond. Why should you get a 2:1? They have to draw the line somewhere.
Did not revive it yet . So I wonder if I can ask them before they will send me out the transcript so is not out of the scale .

Unless you have significant extenuating circumstances, you have no reason to be given the higher classification. Move on.
Original post by Pathway
Unless you have significant extenuating circumstances, you have no reason to be given the higher classification. Move on.

Yes I have the Ec but for that they have given me the opportunity to do a reassessment in May 2021 which is too late so that’s why I am accepting the grade I got for my thesis . So how do I mention with the Ec in order to have 2:1?

You can’t just ask them for a 2:1 without a valid reason. Come on now.
Yes I have the Ec but for that they have given me the opportunity to do a reassessment in May 2021 which is too late so that’s why I am accepting the grade I got for my thesis . So how do I mention with the Ec in order to have 2:1?

Too late for what? If you've actually been given a reassessment you should consider yourself very lucky.

If you have rejected the offer of a reassessment, then you will have to accept the 2:2 you've been given. They have already used your ECs to offer you the reassessment, so boosting you up to 2:1 without that isn't going to happen.
It does sound a bit unrealistic bordering on entitled to pester for a First you simply did not achieve.
I just got my transcript and I was awarded 2:1 . I am happy 😃 and didn’t expect it .
I just got my transcript and I was awarded 2:1 . I am happy 😃 and didn’t expect it .

🥳 Congrats!!!!

Hi! Congratulations! Did you submit EC? I have already been awarded an extension for my thesis however got awarded 58% today and was wondering if I could appeal on the grounds of a different extenuating circumstance! Any advice?
Original post by izzieileye
Hi! Congratulations! Did you submit EC? I have already been awarded an extension for my thesis however got awarded 58% today and was wondering if I could appeal on the grounds of a different extenuating circumstance! Any advice?

Hey there yes I did submitted Ec and they gave me a reassessment day and I emailed them saying that I want to accept my grade and do not want the reassessment. After 3 days then they sent me the award classification which is 2:1 . I want quite socked because my overall grade come 57% and I read their rules so I suggest you doing it where was mentioned that they go to the next classification only if is less than 2% . So me and my tutor was 100% sure I will get a 2:2 but I emailed him before I got my award my calculations and asked him if he thinks that I can appeal it if they award me a 2:2 or leave it but he did not email be back as he is very slow in answering and by that time I got my final grade so I emailed him again saying I was awarded a 2:1 etc . So in the conclusion of you have 58% I am 💯 sure that you will get a 2:1 but you have to wait now till they email you the classification. Let me know what they awarded you .... wish you all the best . Also I suggest you that you accept your grade and do not the the reassessment the way I did because it’s a very big risk and they can give you lower grade in thesis so get out .... my opinion because this is what I did

Quick Reply

Latest