The Student Room Group

Drama School vs University

To be an actor Drama school is definitely the best option but I really want the uni experience and to preferably do joint Drama and English. I feel like I could do with more information before making a decision, so if anyone has been in this same situation it would be good.
Original post by L5670
To be an actor Drama school is definitely the best option but I really want the uni experience and to preferably do joint Drama and English. I feel like I could do with more information before making a decision, so if anyone has been in this same situation it would be good.

Hi @L5670 :hello:

You would be correct in saying that - to become an actor - the route that would make the most sense would be to apply to Drama School. Drama School's provide students with a good chance of getting connections with agents and casting directors through student showcases.

However, Drama School curriculum and teaching can be different to experience at a university. Therefore, if you feel you would prefer a typical university experience, or are unsure if acting is for you, looking into university courses too may be a good idea.

You can still get into acting having done a Drama degree. One option could be to look into an MA at a Drama School after graduation. Moreover, acting is all about experience - so by making sure you get experience (for example, in short films) you can also begin a career in acting. There are also schemes out there to help young people get into acting, such as The National Youth Theatre.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa :biggrin:
Hey @L5670,

I studied Musical Theatre at a drama school.

If you want to become an actor / performer, I would highly recommend attending a drama school rather than a university. (most drama schools are accredited by universities and some are based on university campuses - like Guildford is based in the University of Surrey.)

The reason for this is that drama schools are more vocational - you will be spending less time on essays and more time on perfection your craft. However, you need to bare in mind that drama school is very intense in terms of hours and workload. Also be prepared for some psychological stress.

I wouldn't bother with BA Drama at a university unless you wanted to become a drama teacher or something.
Reply 3
Thank you both, I do think drama school is probably the better option since it is vocational and generally better.

I’m still unsure whether I’ll enjoy the social life and the experience. Do any of you know if the experience differs that much compared to Uni?

I was thinking of going to drama school after uni, maybe when I’m more mature because drama schools is intense, but if some drama schools are on university campuses that could work well for me too.
If you aren’t sure. Do the degree because you’ll have wasted your money if you go to drama school and decide you don’t like acting. A drama degree will get you jobs in the same way as an English or a history degree might
You still get a degree at drama school (or a diploma that can be converted into a degree via distance learning for a year).
Original post by L5670
Thank you both, I do think drama school is probably the better option since it is vocational and generally better.

I’m still unsure whether I’ll enjoy the social life and the experience. Do any of you know if the experience differs that much compared to Uni?

I was thinking of going to drama school after uni, maybe when I’m more mature because drama schools is intense, but if some drama schools are on university campuses that could work well for me too.

Original post by LegsEleven17
If you aren’t sure. Do the degree because you’ll have wasted your money if you go to drama school and decide you don’t like acting. A drama degree will get you jobs in the same way as an English or a history degree might

Original post by welcometotherock
You still get a degree at drama school (or a diploma that can be converted into a degree via distance learning for a year).

- You get a degree / diploma from most vocational drama schools nowadays.

- Drama school contact hours are around 50+ per week compared to university 10-20.

You should know however that the competition to get into a drama school is fierce - as is the competition among peers once you start at drama school - not to mention after graduation, which is a whole new ball game.
Hi @L5670
I’m a drama student at Lancaster university and here we offer joint honours in drama, theatre performance and English BA jobs which you can find out about here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/theatre-and-english-literature-ba-hons-wq43/.
I definitely suggest you speak to students who do courses like this to see what it’s like and how it may suit you. I’m happy to answer any drama/ theatre questions but you can also chat to English students on our uni buddy service https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
There’s definitely good things about studying drama at a university so it’s good your considering both options available to you.
Just let me know if you need any help!
Lancaster University Student Ambassador Holly ( Drama, theatre and performance BA Hons )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending