The Student Room Group

A level Psychology vs English Literature????

I really need advice as I need to make my decision as soon as possible.
So I currently take: A level History, Sociology & English Literature. I’m trying to decide whether I should switch English Literature to Psychology or if I should stick with English Lit.

I’ve heard good things about Psychology and I want to study it. But I’m not sure whether I should drop English Literature, as we can only do 3 A levels at my school. Which one would you recommend: English Lit or Psychology? I’m interested in going into Law in the future.
Well good thing about law is that it doesnt have specific subject requirements, so you can choose what you want!

I did history, sociology and psychology at a level and all three went together really well. I especially found that sociology and psychology overlapped in certain areas and my knowledge of one helped with the other and vice versa. I find psychology really interesting and am now doing it at degree level.

It really just depends what interests you more. Both are essay based subjects, but psychology has slightly more science to it (not enough to make it difficult though).
Reply 2
I personally find psychology more interesting, but English might be more useful for law. It really depends how you’re doing in English Lit at the moment - if you’re getting A*s, there’s really no reason to change it. If you think you could do better in psychology, switch.
Reply 3
would I still be able to do law or go into psychology with these subjects I'm studying because currently I'm doing English lit, sociology, psychology but I'm finding English lit a lil boring as I only had my 1st lesson and nothing came in my heard so if i switched that to lit and Lang, would that lower my chances cuz I know lit is a respected a level but I don't want to do it if I don't enjoy it, please help, I'm so worried
Original post by Tursiga
would I still be able to do law or go into psychology with these subjects I'm studying because currently I'm doing English lit, sociology, psychology but I'm finding English lit a lil boring as I only had my 1st lesson and nothing came in my heard so if i switched that to lit and Lang, would that lower my chances cuz I know lit is a respected a level but I don't want to do it if I don't enjoy it, please help, I'm so worried

those subjects should be fine! keep in mind some psychology courses require 2 “science” a levels but most require only 1 (psychology counts). law doesn’t have any requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest