The Student Room Group

The Current Year 10 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherrymandycand
wowww me too. i hope to study medicine at Oxbridge too but I'm in london

I want to study medicine at Oxbridge (specifically Oxford) as well :smile:

I want to be a neuropsychiatrist (not that anyone asked lol),,

i also live in London ~
(edited 3 years ago)
how did everyone’s first day go ? ~

(for those who resumed Thursday or Friday ofc )
Reply 42
Original post by ethnicphilonoist

mine was great, it was lovely seeing my friends again.
hby?
Reply 43

Mine was fine but they have really annoying rules. For example we're not allowed to go to the toilet during breaks or luccnh - we have to go during lesson time, so we miss our learning. I mean, i understand why ofc, but still...
Original post by Ra_Ar
Mine was fine but they have really annoying rules. For example we're not allowed to go to the toilet during breaks or luccnh - we have to go during lesson time, so we miss our learning. I mean, i understand why ofc, but still...

at least teachers cant use the excuse "u should have gone at break/lunch" cuz thats ANNOYING
Reply 45
Original post by owlknightdragon
at least teachers cant use the excuse "u should have gone at break/lunch" cuz thats ANNOYING

yh that's true
Original post by b1nary
mine was great, it was lovely seeing my friends again.
hby?

that’s good to hear, I started a new school for year 10, and obviously that’s an awkward situation in usual circumstances but because of Covid it was especially messy ~

The fact that it’s an all girls grammar school didn’t help matters as well lol >.<

In my school, each year group has been allocated one building, and we are not allowed to leave it or interact with other year groups ~

The teachers have a barrier separating them from us and are all wearing face masks. They are not allowed to touch our class work books and we work on laptops now (or some of us do)

It’s a strange experience but I do like the school, and at least i don’t have to waste time learning my way around the whole school >.<

Is it just me who has received quite a bit of homework already ? :redface:

ikr, as if we can *somehow* schedule our bladder >.<
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello dear people i just read that you need to re-introduce yourself so here I go:
Hello! I‘m an international student in hk but i‘m planning to do alevels in uk for year 12 (2022) and im doing:
Maths, Chinese, English, French, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and ICT all IGCSE
great to know you guys🤗
Reply 49
that’s good to hear, I started a new school for year 10, and obviously that’s an awkward situation in usual circumstances but because of Covid it was especially messy ~

The fact that it’s an all girls grammar school didn’t help matters as well lol >.<

In my school, each year group has been allocated one building, and we are not allowed to leave it or interact with other year groups ~

The teachers have a barrier separating them from us and are all wearing face masks. They are not allowed to touch our class work books and we work on laptops now (or some of us do)

It’s a strange experience but I do like the school, and at least i don’t have to waste time learning my way around the whole school >.<

we don't have homework yet. Our teachers said there's going to be a limited amount during the first 2 weeks of school. KS3 will have none, whilst yr10s would have a small amount since we have a lot to achieve this year.
Reply 50
Ahhh you guys already started school, worried soon it’ll close anyway? Anyone here starting on Monday? I’m starting Thursday but homeschool from Monday
Reply 51

aww, i hope it all gets better and you have a smooth transition.
eek, yeah i go to a girls grammar too and oof
woww
lucky, i wish we could work on laptops.
i havent really got any homework because we are starting our normal timetable from monday. thursday we just got our timetable, planner and info
Original post by b1nary
aww, i hope it all gets better and you have a smooth transition.
eek, yeah i go to a girls grammar too and oof
woww
lucky, i wish we could work on laptops.
i havent really got any homework because we are starting our normal timetable from monday. thursday we just got our timetable, planner and info

do u wish u had gone to a mixed gender school or do u like girls school
Original post by 04MR17
Hi, I'm not a year 10 and I only made a single post in the year 9 thread, but here comes my spontaneous Year 10 advice free of charge:

Year 10 involves a lot of hormones. You're growing a lot this year. Maybe Lewis from your Maths class fancies you. Maybe you're not friends with Louise any more because she blanked you on Snapchat. Who knows? :iiam:

However, at some point you are going to need to remember and recall the things you have learnt this year. That time will come in the summer of 2022 in an exam hall on a warm afternoon, but from now: things start to count. :afraid:

How can you best make use of your time?
- Attendance. Not feeling too well? Have 2 paracetamol and come into school anyway. Avoid the curry at lunch and you'll be fine. You'll be sorry if your exercise books is missing bits of information when you come to reading them back for revision next year.

- Keep everything. Don't throw away any worksheets, booklets, textbook photocopies, exercise books. Keep it all and keep it tidy. This year is about getting some knowledge - including in physical form.

- Have fun. Despite all the scary words in this post this is still not the big crunch time yet. Stay relaxed, get into yoga, go swimming, spent time with your friends (always wear protection).

- Keep calm. Now is not the time to have a massive row with a teacher for confiscating your phone or your earrings (boys). Now is the time to show your maturity, breathe a little and rise above the situation. You're better than that.

Give it some beans everyone. :happy2:

this is what i needed
thanks
Reply 54
do u wish u had gone to a mixed gender school or do u like girls school

nah i dont its cool in a girls school
Hi, I'm Tess

Umm I play violin and piano, im in a drama group - though im probs like the worst there lol and i like doing embroidery and calligraphy type stuff i guess
Im doing AQA english language and lit, AQA German, AQA Geography, AQA Triple Science, Edexcel maths, edexcel history and edexcel RS B and non - examined PE

My Fischers ( bascically predicted grades) were all 8s (aiming for some 9s hopefully) except one 9 in computer science which i hate and am awful at so not sure how hat happened lol : ).

I would quite like want to be a lawyer when im older and go to oxbridge or somewhere like that so yea
Hey dudes,
Sorry I’m kinda late ( got a bit caught up with school and stuff) but anyway...

I hope everyone’s finding school ok! Everything’s changed so much but I guess a fresh start is good :smile:

So for GCSE I’m taking (drumroll please, haha jk)...

WJEC EDUQAS English Lit & Lang (doing Ozymandias at the moment)
Edexcel Maths
OCR Gateway Sciences (higher)
OCR Food Prep and Nutrition (really fun actually)
Edexcel Geography B (Haven’t has a lesson yet!)
AQA German ( we got a new teacher and she’s really nice)
AQA Art Textiles (so fun!!)

And we have to do PE, Philosophy (basically RE) and PSHE compulsorily.

My strengths are defo English and Biology but I’m terrible at Maths and Chemistry (oh no)

My hobbies are baking, writing and reading, I guess?! :smile: I’m also a massive fan of Illenium...

Anyway, that’s it I think! I hope we can help each other out this year! Bye!!

Original post by Random11_206
Hi, I'm Tess

Umm I play violin and piano, im in a drama group - though im probs like the worst there lol and i like doing embroidery and calligraphy type stuff i guess
Im doing AQA english language and lit, AQA German, AQA Geography, AQA Triple Science, Edexcel maths, edexcel history and edexcel RS B and non - examined PE

My Fischers ( bascically predicted grades) were all 8s (aiming for some 9s hopefully) except one 9 in computer science which i hate and am awful at so not sure how hat happened lol : ).

I would quite like want to be a lawyer when im older and go to oxbridge or somewhere like that so yea

Aaaah you have so many talents! I tried embroidery during lockdown and it went ok - you need to give me some tips and ideas! :biggrin: We haven’t got any predicted grades or anything yet so yeah!

Original post by Boopsandbops
Hello dear people i just read that you need to re-introduce yourself so here I go:
Hello! I‘m an international student in hk but i‘m planning to do alevels in uk for year 12 (2022) and im doing:
Maths, Chinese, English, French, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and ICT all IGCSE
great to know you guys🤗

Hello! That’s so AWESOME! What’s your favourite subject?

I want to study medicine at Oxbridge (specifically Oxford) as well :smile:

I want to be a neuropsychiatrist (not that anyone asked lol),,

i also live in London ~

Aaaah me too, I think! Both my parents are psychiatrists actually! I have no idea what I want to be though!
Original post by VilasL06
Hi! I'm Vilas, and I'm going into Year 10 in 3 days!!! (oof)
My hobbies include playing the piano (I'm in Grade 5) and I love to learn. I live in Wales so grades here are kinda different - here we have the A*-G system. I also use the WJEC board for all subjects.

Subjects I'm taking:
Compulsory:-
WJEC GCSE English Language
WJEC GCSE English Literature
WJEC GCSE Mathematics
WJEC GCSE Maths-Numeracy
WJEC GCSE Biology
WJEC GCSE Chemistry
WJEC GCSE Physics
WJEC GCSE Welsh 2nd Language
WJEC GCSE Religious Studies
WJEC GCSE Skills Challenge Certificate (like E-Bacc in England but here we call it Welsh Bacc)
Options:-
WJEC GCSE Geography
WJEC GCSE German
WJEC GCSE Music

Favourite Subject: Maths (definitely)
Least Favourite Subject: Probs P.E./History (even though I haven't picked them for my options)

Predicted Grades: I haven't been predicted any grades as we haven't done much GCSE work yet. But the grades I am hoping to get are As and A*s.

Favourite Way to Revise: Over the summer holidays I have been searching long and hard for the best study/revision techniques. I've watched UnJaded Jade, Eve Bennett and Lucreziachloe. But I came across a particular channel called Ali Abdaal and found there that according to numerous studies, the best revision techniques are (1) Active Recall - testing yourself and (2) Spaced Repetition - testing yourself over a period of time. He talks about this in a lot of his videos and he shows how he uses Google Sheets to test himself and as a retrospective revision timetable. You should all check out his channel.

My Future Dream Job: I'm aspiring to go to Oxbridge and study medicine there. I'm not too sure what speciality I want to dive in yet though.

Thoughts about Year 9: I can't believe I've missed half of Year 9! It was quite an amazing year to be honest, as I made a lot more friends and participated in DofE Bronze which was so fun, even though we never got to do the expedition (because of the pandemic).

Thoughts about starting Year 10: I kinda feel nervous as I'm starting GCSE, but I can't wait to meet all my friends again. Also I'm looking forward to be dropping some subjects that I didn't enjoy (i.e. PE) but I feel slightly nervous as teachers have high expectations of me since last year.

Don't worry guys - hopefully we will make it to June 2022. Good luck everyone!

Hello
We didn’t do the expedition for DofE either, which is a shame.

Anyway I came here to ask about the active recall thing. I tried it out during the summer holidays but I couldn’t find a routine that worked for me...
How are you using these methods??:biggrin: Thanks, bye
Reply 58
Original post by summerberry19
Hello
We didn’t do the expedition for DofE either, which is a shame.

Anyway I came here to ask about the active recall thing. I tried it out during the summer holidays but I couldn’t find a routine that worked for me...
How are you using these methods??:biggrin: Thanks, bye

hey to do active recall efficiently, you should be recalling after every mid-topic, or after every topic. Maybe even after a single lesson. It doesn't matter, as you should be doing it often - it does help, trust me. I'm in year 10 btw
Original post by Ra_Ar
we don't have homework yet. Our teachers said there's going to be a limited amount during the first 2 weeks of school. KS3 will have none, whilst yr10s would have a small amount since we have a lot to achieve this year.

your sooooo lucky, i have had a total of 20 assignments this week alone ToT

edit: changed the 18 to 20 as I got 2 pieces of work today ToT
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest