The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrawberryDreams
Hey!

Are you applying to university?

Introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying.

If you can't find your chat make a new thread here and tag in StrawberryDreams AND @Manooka ! If you have already made a chat and it's not listed here, please tag me into and I'll add it in! Chats with a link will be blue with a >>, if you can't click yours then it hasn't been made yet.

Application details ice-breaker questions

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with. Below is a list of subject and university-specific group chats/application threads which you might like to get involved in. Click +Show next to the letter your uni starts with below and the links will appear:

University Applicant Threads:

ABC

DEF

GHI

JKL

MNO

PQR

STU

WXYZ

Universities outside the UK:
Hong Kong
Ireland
USA/Ivy League
Canada
Australia
Netherlands
Bocconi >>
PPLE at University of Amsterdam >>

Other:
Teacher Training>>
Disabled Students >>
Mature Students
Italian Applicants
Canadian Applicants >>

Subject Applicant Threads:
All med school applicant threads can be found here >>

ABC

DEFGHI

JKL

PQR

STU

VWXYZ

Introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying.

Hello, It is nice to be able to contact and talk to you lot.
My name is Michael Joseph Harrison or mjhmichael18 my TSR username. I am on the Autistic Spectrum and I have Autism and I have an EHCP. I am looking forward to going back to college on Wednesday for the first time since March. I still need to discount 1 first before I apply so I will tell where I would like to go when I do the icebreakers.

Application details ice-breaker questions

What course are you applying for:
Accounting and Finance BA Hons or degree course.
What universities are you thinking of:
De Montfort University, Nottingham Trent University, University of Leicester, University of Worcester, University of Wolverhampton and Coventry University.
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
CCMerit-AAMerit
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Preparation for Adulthood is my only one as I don’t do many of those.
Original post by 04MR17
This should be done now, though I can't take credit for @Manooka's hard work. :adore:

Thanks @04MR17 :bigsmile:
Original post by M.Johnson2111
Hi, please can someone make a York University Thread as not sure how to do it :smile:

:thumbsup: - I've created a thread for York University and you can find the link in the original post. Good luck!
Could someone make a Winchester thread? And possibly an English Lit one? <3
Original post by elliemc24
Could someone make a Winchester thread? And possibly an English Lit one? <3

You can :smile:
Original post by Theloniouss
You can :smile:

Well, if you insist...

English Lit thread! >>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6683056&p=90891478#post90891478
Is there anyone who wants to study marketing and management. Or wants to go to qmul
Original post by 学生の父
x

I'm going to change the timestamp on this post so it appears on the first page of the thread! :biggrin:
(You may get a funny notification about a post being unapproved)
I have an unconditional offer for MA French at Edinburgh, starting 2021, however I think I might want to charge to the MA French and Business, at the same uni.
How easy would it be to change courses, and would it be better to sort it now or after I've enrolled?
Also, as Business is new to me and it seems quite a competitive course, in this year out I'm doing a BTEC Business foundation course, so how helpful would this be to my application?
I'd appreciate any replies or help, thank you in advance 😊
Reply 50
Hi everyone, I am not sure about where to apply to yet but right now I am looking at my Personal Statement. I have written a first draft and put it in the UCAS website and it says this, "Your statement is 1 line(s) over the 47 limit, based on the preview."

My question is do you take out all paragraphs on the personal statement so it just reads as one long line? I only have 3,980 characters (so well under the 4,000 limit) but taking out paragraphs would not make it read very well.

What do you guys think?
Original post by JoTheM
Hi everyone, I am not sure about where to apply to yet but right now I am looking at my Personal Statement. I have written a first draft and put it in the UCAS website and it says this, "Your statement is 1 line(s) over the 47 limit, based on the preview."

My question is do you take out all paragraphs on the personal statement so it just reads as one long line? I only have 3,980 characters (so well under the 4,000 limit) but taking out paragraphs would not make it read very well.

What do you guys think?
No you don't :nope:

The only way to separate paragraphs is through a line break (pressing return twice) and this will be retained in the final form. Each line break is included in your line limit, but if space allows it is recommended that you do this as it makes your statement much more readable. Remember an admissions tutor looks at hundreds of statements so you want to make their lives easy otherwise they may not want to properly read your statement if faced with a wall of text.

See the sticky threads at the top of this forum:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1083
Reply 52
Original post by 04MR17
No you don't :nope:

The only way to separate paragraphs is through a line break (pressing return twice) and this will be retained in the final form. Each line break is included in your line limit, but if space allows it is recommended that you do this as it makes your statement much more readable. Remember an admissions tutor looks at hundreds of statements so you want to make their lives easy otherwise they may not want to properly read your statement if faced with a wall of text.

See the sticky threads at the top of this forum:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1083

I have used Grammarly and Duplichecker to check mine, but my parents think that I should not use any checker. Will the checkers put it in the database and it will be flagged if I do so?
I was told NOT to use PMT but only the official website of the exam board.
Original post by 8013
I have used Grammarly and Duplichecker to check mine, but my parents think that I should not use any checker. Will the checkers put it in the database and it will be flagged if I do so?
I was told NOT to use PMT but only the official website of the exam board.
You're going to think I'm very old fashioned but the best checker is a human pair of eyes. You've put it through grammarly now, you needn't do any of that again.
I am planning to study one semester in a university in the UK. I can choose and apply for 3 Universities from a selection. The Universities I can choose from are: Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Exeter and Aberdeen.

So the process is: I select my 3 favorites in preferred order and then the "jury" of the programme allocates me one of those 3 Universities, which they find fitting for me individually.

So what I want to find out is which 3 of these universities are most known around the world and most reputable to the population.

From doing some research, I found out that Edinburgh is always #1 and then the other two places go to either Manchester or York.

My study subject is English linguistics, language and literature.

Could you guys provide me with some kind of 1. 2. 3. place ranking which of these univsities I should preferable apply for to study one semester? Edinburgh seems to be #1 but I am still not sure which universities would rank #2 and #3 in terms of reputation and prestige.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Modern Polymath
I am planning to study one semester in a university in the UK. I can choose and apply for 3 Universities from a selection. The Universities I can choose from are: Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Exeter and Aberdeen.

So the process is: I select my 3 favorites in preferred order and then the "jury" of the programme allocates me one of those 3 Universities, which they find fitting for me individually.

So what I want to find out is which 3 of these universities are most known around the world and most reputable to the population.

From doing some research, I found out that Edinburgh is always #1 and then the other two places go to either Manchester or York.

My study subject is English linguistics, language and literature.

Could you guys provide me with some kind of 1. 2. 3. place ranking which of these univsities I should preferable apply for to study one semester? Edinburgh seems to be #1 but I am still not sure which universities would rank #2 and #3 in terms of reputation and prestige.

Thanks in advance!

1. Edinburgh
2. Manchester
3. York
Original post by HaydsTheBed
1. Edinburgh
2. Manchester
3. York

Wow thanks for the direct reply! Could you also tell me some stuff about the living in those cities and what cultural specialities those cities have to offer for incoming students/tourists?
Original post by Modern Polymath
Wow thanks for the direct reply! Could you also tell me some stuff about the living in those cities and what cultural specialities those cities have to offer for incoming students/tourists?

Edinburgh, from what i've seen myself, is perfect if you're looking for a city with plenty of social opportunity but also somewhere with a rich cultural and historic background. I think it will be slightly more expensive in terms of living costs but that is expected as it's Scotland's capital. It is a beautiful city though, and has easy links for travel which is ideal if you wanted to spend some time in other cities or in the Scottish countryside, which again, is beautiful. Mix of quaint little shops and chains for necessities.
Manchester has more of a student vibe and is quite commercial, so would suit you more if you were primarily concerned with shopping and leisure. Again, has very good links to other cities.
As for York, it is considerably smaller than Edinburgh and Manchester, although probably cheapest and isn't completely student-overrun. It is a very pleasant place to live and has a very strong historic appeal, plenty of sights and museums, etc, as well as plenty of independent shops. York is very pedestrian friendly and easy to navigate.

I am most familiar with York, but from your perspective, I would choose Edinburgh. I think it offers a more exciting experience with more opportunities for your time than the other two.
Original post by HaydsTheBed
Edinburgh, from what i've seen myself, is perfect if you're looking for a city with plenty of social opportunity but also somewhere with a rich cultural and historic background. I think it will be slightly more expensive in terms of living costs but that is expected as it's Scotland's capital. It is a beautiful city though, and has easy links for travel which is ideal if you wanted to spend some time in other cities or in the Scottish countryside, which again, is beautiful. Mix of quaint little shops and chains for necessities.
Manchester has more of a student vibe and is quite commercial, so would suit you more if you were primarily concerned with shopping and leisure. Again, has very good links to other cities.
As for York, it is considerably smaller than Edinburgh and Manchester, although probably cheapest and isn't completely student-overrun. It is a very pleasant place to live and has a very strong historic appeal, plenty of sights and museums, etc, as well as plenty of independent shops. York is very pedestrian friendly and easy to navigate.

I am most familiar with York, but from your perspective, I would choose Edinburgh. I think it offers a more exciting experience with more opportunities for your time than the other two.

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 59
I'm thinking UAL, London Met, Middlesex London and UCA Canturbury

Latest

Trending

Trending