The Student Room Group

Dropping A-Levels for a BTEC in Computing

Hi, I’m thinking of redoing college by dropping my A-Level subjects to do Computing full time from next September as I really don’t like my current A-Level Subjects. I want to do a Bachelor in computer science at Uni but I don’t know if I should continue with A-Levels or start college all over again.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ACollegeStudent0
Hi, I’m thinking of redoing college by dropping my A-Level subject to do Computing full time from next Sepetember as I really don’t like my current A-Level Subjects. I want to do a Bachelor in computer science at Uni but I don’t know if I should continue with A-Levels or start college all over again.

Sounds like it could be a good idea if you're really interested in Computing and having a tough time with your current subjects. Have you spoken to your school about this? :rambo:
bsc computer science without btec/a level computer science is very accessible
bsc computer science without a level maths may be less accessible

it's rare for a good uni to require computer science education which would suggest its not a necessary or even helpful prerequisite
Original post by HoldThisL
bsc computer science without btec/a level computer science is very accessible
bsc computer science without a level maths may be less accessible

it's rare for a good uni to require computer science education which would suggest its not a necessary or even helpful prerequisite

Not everyone wants to go to a traditionally elite university, though. Moreover, OP would have to get good grades in A level Maths (if they're even doing it). OP could do a BTEC and then go to a good university like Royal Holloway or City (assuming they're London based) or a plethora of other universities.
Original post by Quick-use
Sounds like it could be a good idea if you're really interested in Computing and having a tough time with your current subjects. Have you spoken to your school about this? :rambo:

My college was the one to give me this option :smile:

Not everyone wants to go to a traditionally elite university, though. Moreover, OP would have to get good grades in A level Maths (if they're even doing it). OP could do a BTEC and then go to a good university like Royal Holloway or City (assuming they're London based) or a plethora of other universities.

A good university would definitely be nice so I’m not really bothered about moving for Uni. I am already aware of the Maths requirement but it wasn’t one of my subjects anyways, since I didn’t know it was a requirement for most in the first place, unfortunately.

So am I right in assuming that this would help me more for Uni (doing Computing full time) rather than continuing with my A-Levels?
My college was the one to give me this option :smile:

A good university would definitely be nice so I’m not really bothered about moving for Uni. I am already aware of the Maths requirement but it wasn’t one of my subjects anyways, since I didn’t know it was a requirement for most in the first place, unfortunately.

So am I right in assuming that this would help me more for Uni (doing Computing full time) rather than continuing with my A-Levels?

Yeah, doing BTEC sounds great for what you want to do! What universities were you considering applying to? :rambo:
Depends on what university you are looking at. The RG type will usually require A level Maths but some will accept BTEC Computing. What grade did you get in GCSE Maths as many that dont require A level Maths will require GCSE grade 6 or B or above with your BTEC.
Yeah, doing BTEC sounds great for what you want to do! What universities were you considering applying to? :rambo:

To be honest, I’m interested in your thoughts. Let’s say I’m able to get a great result in the BTEC, what universities do you think I should apply for that are in the western side of England (inc London), preferably :smile: ?
To be honest, I’m interested in your thoughts. Let’s say I’m able to get a great result in the BTEC, what universities do you think I should apply for that are in the western side of England (inc London), preferably :smile: ?

Nearly all universities will accept you with a BTEC in Computer Science although there are a number roughly 15 might insist on Maths A level and these include Bath, Bristol, Exeter, top London ones, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds etc. Universities accepting BTEC without A level Maths I believe are Cardiff, Swansea, Aberystwyth, Royal Holloway, Lancaster, East Anglia, Keele, Kent, Essex and Sussex. I think Liverpool, Leicester and maybe Newcastle also accept BTEC without A level Maths but the only way to confirm all this is to check the entry requirements. Most except Aberystwyth, Kent, Essex and Keele will require GCSE Maths grade B or 6.
Original post by swanseajack1
Nearly all universities will accept you with a BTEC in Computer Science although there are a number roughly 15 might insist on Maths A level and these include Bath, Bristol, Exeter, top London ones, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds etc. Universities accepting BTEC without A level Maths I believe are Cardiff, Swansea, Aberystwyth, Royal Holloway, Lancaster, East Anglia, Keele, Kent, Essex and Sussex. I think Liverpool, Leicester and maybe Newcastle also accept BTEC without A level Maths but the only way to confirm all this is to check the entry requirements. Most except Aberystwyth, Kent, Essex and Keele will require GCSE Maths grade B or 6.

Hi! University of Liverpool does except BTEC in Computer Sciences, with either Level Maths alongside, or a further Maths unit as part of your BTEC. That is just for the Computer Sciences BSc, other courses my have slightly different requirements even at the same uni.

University of Liverpool also has a foundation year programme that is attached to the Computer Sciences BSc, so that could be another way into a course. Other universities may have similar programs.

Here's a list of current undergraduate courses at University of Liverpool, might be helpful to see how many different options there are. :smile:

What are your current A Level subjects? Are they focused on another career path?
Original post by swanseajack1

Thanks for that, I'll check on the requirements for the different Unis. It's given me a hint of universities I might want to look at.

Original post by Student2020-
Hi! University of Liverpool does except BTEC in Computer Sciences, with either Level Maths alongside, or a further Maths unit as part of your BTEC. That is just for the Computer Sciences BSc, other courses my have slightly different requirements even at the same uni.

University of Liverpool also has a foundation year programme that is attached to the Computer Sciences BSc, so that could be another way into a course. Other universities may have similar programs.

Here's a list of current undergraduate courses at University of Liverpool, might be helpful to see how many different options there are. :smile:

What are your current A Level subjects? Are they focused on another career path?

My current A-Level subjects are Computer Science, Politics and RS, I wouldn't really consider them as my career paths aside from Computer Science.
I also wanted to ask, obviously it's full time Computing so their might be a bit more than A-Level Computing, but is there any radical difference in BTEC Computing?
Hi, I’m thinking of redoing college by dropping my A-Level subjects to do Computing full time from next September as I really don’t like my current A-Level Subjects. I want to do a Bachelor in computer science at Uni but I don’t know if I should continue with A-Levels or start college all over again.

Hello there! I highly recommend doing some research on which universities you would like to attend and find out what entry requirements they look for , before you change anything with your A levels. This way, you can make a decision on what you want to do after college and make an informed decision on how to go about this situation you are in. :smile:

I wouldn't recommend it. In any event it isn't really possible for anyone to advise you unless you tell us what subjects you're doing?

I myself am actually planning on dropping my Level 3 Computing BTEC to do A Levels, possibly doing GCSEs (with possibly an AS Level) first.

im not sure if you have already decided what to do, but A-levels will give you a wider choice at university. If you are doing a BTEC in Computing, you should also do the A-level in it as well as the content will likely be more difficult and necessary for many universities.
Original post by KrazyKazoo22
im not sure if you have already decided what to do, but A-levels will give you a wider choice at university. If you are doing a BTEC in Computing, you should also do the A-level in it as well as the content will likely be more difficult and necessary for many universities.

No, you shouldn't do the A Level in Computing or Computer Science if you are doing a BTEC in Computing, in fact you shouldn't bother with the A Level in Computing or Computer Science at all if you're planning on studying the subject at University.
Original post by CletusPotter
No, you shouldn't do the A Level in Computing or Computer Science if you are doing a BTEC in Computing, in fact you shouldn't bother with the A Level in Computing or Computer Science at all if you're planning on studying the subject at University.

that's wrong, universities prefer you doing a CS a level (whilst not always required).

regardless of this, how will you know if you like computer science if you have never studied it before unless you are doing the work equivalent to doing an A level outside of school, in which case you should just be doing the A level.
Reply 17
Original post by KrazyKazoo22
that's wrong, universities prefer you doing a CS a level (whilst not always required).

regardless of this, how will you know if you like computer science if you have never studied it before unless you are doing the work equivalent to doing an A level outside of school, in which case you should just be doing the A level.

Actually, you're wrong. Also, you should refrain from giving advice, especially when you have no clue on what you're talking about.
Original post by Xarao
Actually, you're wrong. Also, you should refrain from giving advice, especially when you have no clue on what you're talking about.

do you want to tell me how I am wrong?
Original post by Xarao

On the first part you are correct.

On the second, I disagree. This is a place where anyone is free to give advice, even if they don't know what they're talking about. Also, I don't think that you should be accusing people of having "no clue on what (they are) talking about" on here, as that is a personal attack.

Quick Reply

Latest