The Student Room Group

Year 12 - revision

Started year 12 and I don’t know where to start. Firstly, when is it a good time to start revising and making notes, flashcards and stuff like that. What resources can I use? I don’t know where to start. It’s very different to GCSE and I can’t get use to it. I got all 9s and 8s for gcse but I don’t understand how I should go about a levels. I’m doing a level maths(edexcel), bio and Chem (aqa). Someone guide meee!!!!
Make notes immediately. It’s always good to study ahead of your classes so when you go to class you’ll understand it better. Just make notes of each topic before you do them in class. With a levels you have to be consistent with studying topics unlike gcse. Also past papers are extremely key. Try not to do too many now because you want to save some near exam time but make sure eventually you do every paper you can get your hands on.
Definitely try and keep up with revision notes and flashcards etc as you cover the topics. A-levels are more in-depth, even though there's less of them, and trying to keep your materials up to date is far easier than catching up (speaking from painful experience) although catching up *is* doable. Interactive revision is ideal, but can happily wait until closer to mocks. Good luck!
Reply 3
Ohhhhhh trust me you want to do revision asap so that then you don't have to worry about it. I would recommend revision per topic/module. Things that I did and helped were:mindmaps, flashcards and PRACTICE PAPERS or even asking a teacher for extra work. The more you understand the topic the less work of making revision notes. But when you will do the revision don't just copy, condense your notes.
However one thing that particularly helped me was sometimes going to empty classroom (one that has a white board) on my frees or lunch with friends that do the same subjects as me and we used boards to write on them on. So you could say that one or two would be acting as teachers whilst others were learning (those do didn't understand). But I also just did it for myself to keep my memory fresh in mind and make sure that I understand it.

P.S. make use of your frees !!! it doesn't even have to be all the time but use your time wisely as well.

GOODLUCK !!
Reply 4
- write your summary notes right after lessons - key word in that is 'summary' (as you dont just want to re-write the textbook lol)
- write flashcards and do mind maps that condense your summary notes even further if you have time on the evenings or probably more realistically weekends
- do practice questions in the lead up to mocks - or just constantly tbh these are the most important part of revision I would say

these are just some revision tips that helped me. I know it sounds like a lot but if you stay on top of it from the start then it won't be so bad
good luck!! And well done in your gcses those are great results!
Thx
Just to add, use your free periods to actually study and make notes please because it saves a lot of time in the long run:h:
Reply 7
Original post by Stressedteen346
Started year 12 and I don’t know where to start. Firstly, when is it a good time to start revising and making notes, flashcards and stuff like that. What resources can I use? I don’t know where to start. It’s very different to GCSE and I can’t get use to it. I got all 9s and 8s for gcse but I don’t understand how I should go about a levels. I’m doing a level maths(edexcel), bio and Chem (aqa). Someone guide meee!!!!

I do sociology, law and French so my subjects are obviously different when it comes to revision, however I've found I like to do an overview sheet at the end of every topic to summarise it. In year 12 we used to do a topic every week so I'd do these sheets at the end of the week. Then I'd sit down and make my revision cards in one of my frees, going into more detail of the overview sheets. Just make sure you're consistent with your revision and keep on top of it. Hope this is helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest