The Student Room Group

drinking problem? how can I cut it out?

I have various mental health problems and recently I've been drinking to avoid dealing with them sober. I drink like 3 shots of vodka in my glass and top it up with diet coke. I do this 4 or 5 times a day. I live with my girlfriend and have so far managed to do this without her knowledge. I went to the off license today and bought 3 more 750ml bottles of vodka. I don't want to be sober and deal with my MH stuff (I take medication) but I'm a bit worried this is turning into a problem. I hide how much I drink from my girlfriend and have been doing this everyday for about 2 months. I have also not told my psychiatrist who I talk to weekly. I don't want to be an alcoholic but I also am unable to deal with the hallucinations.
Maybe tell your girlfriend. She can help and support you
If you can’t kick the habit by yourself then I strongly advise reaching out for help, be it your psychiatrist, a support group or even your GF.
Reply 3
Original post by Eaphysics
Maybe tell your girlfriend. She can help and support you

Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
If you can’t kick the habit by yourself then I strongly advise reaching out for help, be it your psychiatrist, a support group or even your GF.

I really don't want to tell my girlfriend. She doesn't drink so gets quite high and mighty if anything happens to me when I drink. Even stuff like coming home from a mate's and going to bed the next day she'll be all judgemental. Does this sound like an actual problem to either of you or is it still in the realm of normalcy?
Original post by Anonymous
I really don't want to tell my girlfriend. She doesn't drink so gets quite high and mighty if anything happens to me when I drink. Even stuff like coming home from a mate's and going to bed the next day she'll be all judgemental. Does this sound like an actual problem to either of you or is it still in the realm of normalcy?

Sounds like the beginning of a potential problem, drinking to forget/avoid something is a bad idea and one that can get out of hand quickly, it usually makes the problem you’re trying to avoid worse.

I would definitely try and speak to someone if it’s a concern for you, and I would hope your GF would be supportive if you do speak to her about it.
Could you contact an alcoholics charity for help? My uncle beat the booze through Alcoholics Anonymous which might also create a safe space for you to focus on your mental health issues.
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
Could you contact an alcoholics charity for help? My uncle beat the booze through Alcoholics Anonymous which might also create a safe space for you to focus on your mental health issues.

Aren't those groups kind of Jesus-y? Also, I'm not sure whether I'm addicted, or just drink a bit too often.
Aren't those groups kind of Jesus-y? Also, I'm not sure whether I'm addicted, or just drink a bit too often.

Yeah, the 12 steps are a little little Jesus/y as you put it, but they work.

The excuses you’re using and that you’re drinking alone whilst trying to keep it a secret would make me lean towards it being an issue.
Reply 8
Shameless bump.

Yeah they are. But it is sincere. You are addicted if you can't stop. Can you stop for one week without craving?

Quick Reply

Latest