The Student Room Group

Android phones

What are the disadvantages of them and advantages of them?

Scroll to see replies

Advantages: none
Disadvantages: none

'Android' phones are pretty much every single phone other than an iPhone, so there aren't really any universal advantages/disadvantages
Tbh I don't get why Android gets put down under iPhone so much. There really aren't that many significant differences. I have a Samsung and I don't get how it is worse than an iPhone. They last longer and have plastic screens so they break less easily.

Unfortunately, both use sweatshops, which is a horrible consequence of their enormity. Although I have a Samsung, I have kept it for four years and continue to use it until it completely breaks, at which point I plan on recycling it to reduce my impact.
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Tbh I don't get why Android gets put down under iPhone so much. There really aren't that many significant differences. I have a Samsung and I don't get how it is worse than an iPhone. They last longer and have plastic screens so they break less easily.

Unfortunately, both use sweatshops, which is a horrible consequence of their enormity. Although I have a Samsung, I have kept it for four years and continue to use it until it completely breaks, at which point I plan on recycling it to reduce my impact.

realistically almost everything manufactured is made in a sweatshop from clothes to all electronics and consumables
I'm getting the Xiaomi redmi note 9 just because it is relatively cheap my parents both have refurbished iPhones
Well the vast majority of Androids are not as good performance wise as the top of the range iPhones, but if you're talking about the popular flagship phones, then I'd have to disagree lol. Only thing I would say is universally a con in terms of Android phones is the more infrequent updates and support and the eventual slowdown they have whereas people can still use perfectly fine iPhone 5s and 6s in 2020.
Not that I intend to start this argument, but it's interesting to note that the price of certain exploits for iOS has dropped significantly because there are so many of them. Zerodium put out an announcemnt back in May that they are not currently accepting iOS PrivEsc, Safari RCE and sandbox escapes because they've just had so many submitted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by karl pilkington
realistically almost everything manufactured is made in a sweatshop from clothes to all electronics and consumables

Yeah, I know

I think to understand the whole iPhone vs android argument, you have to look at it from the two main mindsets that it comes from. Kids/immaturity. But the biggest one would be that phones these days, to many people, are just as much fashion statements as they are phones. That's not to say the two are disconnected mind you. But a big point about fashion statements tends to be the cost. iPhones generally being some of the more expensive phones on the market (though with the whole folding phone thing going off and Apple starting to offer cheaper devices, that isn't so much the case now, but still up there on the high end models).

Another part of it is Apple's brilliant PR speeches. When Apple introduces something 'new' to the industry, it's suddenly Apple that was the first. I remember when people were raving on about X company copying Apple with the whole water resistance thing. Wasn't like Sony had already been doing that for years.

But yeah, the general gist of it is pretty ehhhh. What's best is really what works for you. Only things I can really think of is that iOS is a tad more restrictive in terms of customisation than Android, and that iPhones generally don't tend to be known for good battery life. Outstanding standby times, but sub-par elsewhere when it comes to the battery, which is something you could likely apply to many Android phones as well.
Reply 9
they are ugly
Reply 10
they are durable but ugly.
They last longer and have plastic screens so they break less easily.

The only modern smartphones that might use plastic screens are the most incredibly cheap bargain bucket crap, and some foldables. Glass screens are absolutely the norm in the Android world.
Original post by kleido
they are ugly

How does that even make sense? Durable but ugly? I bet you think all androids are Nokia 900's lmao.
I got the redmi note 9 it is pretty good however it is far too big in a way I knew how big it was but I have never had a full blown modern smart phone before so I kind of wish I got one the same size as the old iphone 5.
I got the redmi note 9 it is pretty good however it is far too big in a way I knew how big it was but I have never had a full blown modern smart phone before so I kind of wish I got one the same size as the old iphone 5.

If it makes you feel better, there are no phones anymore that are the size of your iPhone 5.
Reply 15
Original post by TheOnlyOne999
How does that even make sense? Durable but ugly? I bet you think all androids are Nokia 900's lmao.

lol how did that not make sense. i’ve had androids before and they’ve lasted me so long with no problems but i’ve just never enjoyed having them. i think they are ugly and i don’t like using them. and i’ve never used a nokia actually
To be far it is absolutely amazing how far technology has come on. It can basically do everything it has Microsoft word video games and also excellent battery life bargain! However Kind of miss the days when phones were just phones.
However Kind of miss the days when phones were just phones.

Lots of people say that, nobody really does.

They also have glass screens... I'm sure every single smartphone made in the past few years have glass screens. Samsungs are as fragile as Apple's phones.
do you know why you can still get the google play store on a redmi but not on a huawei if you buy it new?

Quick Reply

Latest