The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Most heart attacks do not kill.

They do leave permanent heart damage though.

Its not really a 'clot' resolving - its more that either the vessel isn't completely blocked or its sufficiently small that the downstream heart muscle dying is still compatible with life.

Most heart attacks are not simply clots.

It does actually put you at a lower risk - something like 50% lower, depending on lots of things. Still quite possible though.

ECG would be the first port of call and that is available in most GPs, but there are lots of scans a hospital could do to check if they wanted.

Sorry I was aware it isn't necessarily a clot resolving and that it normally isn't, I was more trying to think of an example as to how it could go easily undetected and was first thing I thought of.
Didn't know GPs had ECGs- most of the ones I know of don't have them, nice to know
Original post by AzureCeleste
Sorry I was aware it isn't necessarily a clot resolving and that it normally isn't, I was more trying to think of an example as to how it could go easily undetected and was first thing I thought of.
Didn't know GPs had ECGs- most of the ones I know of don't have them, nice to know

Sending a patient up to the hospital for a 2 minute ECG would seem a colossal exercise in wasting time and money... however, you're right some GPs do do just that. I don't think its the majority though. Seems quite area dependent. Maybe I'm wrong.
Sending a patient up to the hospital for a 2 minute ECG would seem a colossal exercise in wasting time and money... however, you're right some GPs do do just that. I don't think its the majority though. Seems quite area dependent. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think perhaps my GP just doesn't have ECG's in the practice then
Reply 43
Check the leaflet or look up online if caffeine interferes.

Those energy drinks are a lot of caffeine at once! I would discuss with a doctor but if it happens again check your heart rate, put a finger to your thumb or neck and count the beats in 1 minute see if it's abnormally high.

Only a professional can diagnose and or figure out if caffeine is safe for you to consume for the most part it is in moderation
Original post by Anonymous
This happens to me. When im sitting or lying in an awkward position, i get sharp pains in my heart area and feel so out of breath. It hurts to inhale deeply during that time. Idk what it is but fingers crossed i dont die some time

i get that alot. I've gotten used to it. It's not your heart i believe (though best to get it checked by a doctor). I'm saying that because I get it on my left and right side at times, and sometimes lower down. It's my ribs that rub together or touch which causes the sharp pain. When you breath deeply, your ribcage move outwards, that's why the pain comes only when you breath deeply, or when you've been in an awkward position. When i massage my ribcage and do a few stretches, or practice breathing techniques it goes away
my mum gets that too btw so i guess it runs in the family
edit: she spoke to her doctor about it and he confirmed that it was her ribcage and not her heart. every case is different, i'm only saying what I experienced, i can't really say anything about yours
(edited 3 years ago)
Go to a private doctor asap or abroad.

NHS doctors are crap most of the time.

Better not to sit on it in case it actually was a heart attack.
Go to a private doctor asap or abroad.

NHS doctors are crap most of the time.

Although almost all private doctors also work in the NHS, of course.
Although almost all private doctors also work in the NHS, of course.

Well yeah, but I meant to say that OP should go private instead of his local GP/hospital. They delay matters a lot and you end up in a long waiting list, or worse, your appointment cancelled/ postponed.
By the looks of it, you all need to go to the GP 😟
Reply 50
I’ve had the same problem but it’s been going on for 2 years and it comes and goes randomly. I would recommend seeing a doctor. I literally only went today after years of pain 😂 anyways I went to the hospital spoke to the doctor and got an ecg. It’s nothing too serious but I now know the problem and I do recommend you go because whatever it is you don’t want to leave it for too long and even if it’s nothing you’ll at least have peace of mind.

I hope the OP didn't leave it too long, given that this thread is 8 months old...

Latest