The Student Room Group

Football Wages

Why are they always the target for people to call them overpaid but never any other athletes like tennis players or even other entertainment industries like musicians?
Reply 1
Because they tend to be lower class so people don't like them doing well
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
How many British tennis players make big money? Maybe 2 or 3? Not sure musicians really earn fortunes these days even at the top.
Then what about musicians? actors?
I always see someone complaining about football salaries yet have ariana grande as their profile pictures
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ajj2000
How many British tennis players make big money? Maybe 2 or 3? Not sure musicians really earn fortunes these days even at the top.

the percentage of football players earning top wages is miniscule compared to every football player.
Original post by difeo

honestly believe this has something to do with it.
There are also WAY more football players then tennis players... take the percentage and its probably lower than tennis
Original post by Joseph Mimbo
Why are they always the target for people to call them overpaid but never any other athletes like tennis players or even other entertainment industries like musicians?

Most talked about.
Most relatable.
Musicians and Tennis is performance related, football not always so.
There are a lot more footballers earning very high salaries than tennis players or musicians.
Why does it make you cry so?
You stated that there are less tennis players that get greater than 100,000. I said this was due to there being MORE football players in there world hence a greater number will generally earn MORE - you didnt consider percentages. Also it doesnt address the fact that musicians and actors dont get the same comments.
Original post by 999tigger
Most talked about.
Most relatable.
Musicians and Tennis is performance related, football not always so.
There are a lot more footballers earning very high salaries than tennis players or musicians.
Why does it make you cry so?

Yes football is performance related... If you perform well more people know about you - you get a higher pric since more people are likely to recognise and buy your shirts, sponsors etc. You realise if a very high profile tennis player loses to a lesser known tennis player they will still get more in terms of brand deals etc. Also you cant really judge musicians on performance since music is pretty subjective.
Reply 10
I feel there’s a class thing to it. Young Black boys who are talented and putting their skills to good use.

Nobody has a grumble about posho white kids who go on to become actors; models; more ‘palatable’ sports personalities (cricket etc).

It’s also a piss poor understanding of economics tbh.

Britain is a bootlicking nation. ‘I’m not doing that great so nor should you’
Original post by difeo

Because they tend to be lower class so p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ the tabloids don't like them doing well

also pfp checks out
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Joseph Mimbo

Football has the most attention. It is a sport with a high popularity and for many people the number one. And because the people pay so much attention for this sport, they complain about the wages. The same would happen to tennis players, if people take part in this sports as fans into the very deep detail. And I think that enough people who love tennis really do.

Quick Reply

Latest