The Student Room Group

Ethical clothing brand

Are there any trendy (that sell stuff like missguided etc) ethical clothing brands that aren’t expensive. I’ve been looking online and loads of websites say reformation but they’re so expensive, and most of the other brands I’ve seen are too, and if they’re not, the clothes aren’t my style. My mum doesn’t want me to buy second hand clothes for some reason so I can’t shop on Depop or in charity stores etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
I wish they existed tbh but sadly they don't because ethical brand's target audience is middle aged women lmao.
I love shopping at Monki though (an online store). Although it is still a fast fashion brand (and owned by H&M) it has better ethics than most brands and sells on-fashion clothing basics. Also - many of it's items are in their sustainable collection. It is a bit more expensive than New Look, H&M etc. but their clothes are much better quality and will last you a while.
Lucy and Yak are great but a little pricey! :smile:
ugh honestly same + I need to find vegan brands as well..

have you tried thrifting specific clothes such as vegan or ethical clothes? im sure you could find a few bits and bobs in thrift stores like tk maxx
Reply 4
Original post by yellowbuttercup
I wish they existed tbh but sadly they don't because ethical brand's target audience is middle aged women lmao.
I love shopping at Monki though (an online store). Although it is still a fast fashion brand (and owned by H&M) it has better ethics than most brands and sells on-fashion clothing basics. Also - many of it's items are in their sustainable collection. It is a bit more expensive than New Look, H&M etc. but their clothes are much better quality and will last you a while.

Lmao yeah, one of the places I saw was monsoon which is ok for like dresses but everyday clothes are definitely targeted at an older audience. Thanks for the tip about monki!
H&M has a conscious collection of clothes (same price as everything else they sell usually) where clothes are made of recycled fabrics. Also they sell vegan leather products too made from apple leather etc.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
H&M has a conscious collection of clothes (same price as everything else they sell usually) where clothes are made of recycled fabrics. Also they sell vegan leather products too made from apple leather etc.

yh but its greenwashing : (
Original post by Zoey101.x
Are there any trendy (that sell stuff like missguided etc) ethical clothing brands that aren’t expensive. I’ve been looking online and loads of websites say reformation but they’re so expensive, and most of the other brands I’ve seen are too, and if they’re not, the clothes aren’t my style. My mum doesn’t want me to buy second hand clothes for some reason so I can’t shop on Depop or in charity stores etc.

Hey! what abt stuff with the tags still on.

The reason why their clothing is soo cheap is cuz overworked and underpaid workers and often bad quality clothing. So ethical brands are generally way more expensive but the thing about moving towards ethical fashion is moving away from the fast fashion model and buying less clothing so you spend more on single garments of clothing and that is more classic and timeless so that it's still ok to wear a few years on.

Maybe you can try to buy them when it's discounted
Original post by lionpunkgirl
yh but its greenwashing : (

What's greenwashing?
What's greenwashing?

Greenwashing is the process of conveying a false impression or providing misleading information about how a company's products are more environmentally sound. Greenwashing is considered an unsubstantiated claim to deceive consumers into believing that a company's products are environmentally friendly.

So basically it's when companies market their products as green or eco-friendly when they really aren't. eg. H&M having an eco line when they're still producing and promoting fast fashion model of consumption. For reference, as a result of the rise of fast fashion, the fashion industry is responsible for around 10% of global carbon emissions, which is than all international flights and maritime shipping combined
Yes. G-Star Raw. They are a very ethical clothing company.
Original post by Raymondsantos
Yes. G-Star Raw. They are a very ethical clothing company.

Check this link out: https://directory.goodonyou.eco/brand/g-star-raw
To see how ethical and sustainable a brand is check out Good On You. It's a great website and rates brands on various indicators.
Original post by lionpunkgirl
Greenwashing is the process of conveying a false impression or providing misleading information about how a company's products are more environmentally sound. Greenwashing is considered an unsubstantiated claim to deceive consumers into believing that a company's products are environmentally friendly.

So basically it's when companies market their products as green or eco-friendly when they really aren't. eg. H&M having an eco line when they're still producing and promoting fast fashion model of consumption. For reference, as a result of the rise of fast fashion, the fashion industry is responsible for around 10% of global carbon emissions, which is than all international flights and maritime shipping combined

But do you actually know how H&M produce their Conscious line or are you just assuming they’re green washing?
They collect old garments from customers and use them to remake clothes - these items have a green conscious label on them and they’re getting more frequent over the years.
There’s also loads of other info on their website about how they’re increasing their sustainable fashion e.g. the way they dye their clothes is different to make it more environmentally friendly and how they use vegan leather options. I can’t remember the details but you can find out on their website.
But do you actually know how H&M produce their Conscious line or are you just assuming they’re green washing?
They collect old garments from customers and use them to remake clothes - these items have a green conscious label on them and they’re getting more frequent over the years.
There’s also loads of other info on their website about how they’re increasing their sustainable fashion e.g. the way they dye their clothes is different to make it more environmentally friendly and how they use vegan leather options. I can’t remember the details but you can find out on their website.

You cannot be ethical and still have a fast fashion model. Again, I define ethical as being sustainable, cruelty free and free from exploitation though the actual definition is based on moral grounding.

Obviously, on the H&M website they are going to say all the things they are doing to sound good and not say our clothes are made from overworked and underpaid workers in sweatshops and that most of the clothing that is donated ends up in landfills. Check this video out. If you look at the channel you can find out more.

Watch this video about sweatshops

On sustainable materials
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Zoey101.x

aym studios has some trendier pieces

Quick Reply

Latest