The Student Room Group

The Current Year 10 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ethnicphilonoist
your sooooo lucky, i have had a total of 18 assignment this week alone ToT

damn that's a lot. You're in yr 10 right?
Original post by Ra_Ar
damn that's a lot. You're in yr 10 right?

yes sirrrr ~
Original post by b1nary
aww, i hope it all gets better and you have a smooth transition.
eek, yeah i go to a girls grammar too and oof
woww
lucky, i wish we could work on laptops.
i havent really got any homework because we are starting our normal timetable from monday. thursday we just got our timetable, planner and info

yh it sure can be hectic lol
Original post by owlknightdragon
do u wish u had gone to a mixed gender school or do u like girls school

i’ve been to three secondary schools so far and 2/3 were co ed, my girls school is so much more ‘cliquey’ than coed and so much more bullying and a lot more lgbtq people. Coed school (my first one anyway) was full of fools but that’s partly because it was ghetto ...
More wild things happen in coed tbh and i miss that slightly i guess ...
all that said i prefer girls school but that is imo
(edited 3 years ago)
i’ve been to three secondary schools so far and 2/3 were co ed, girls school is so much more ‘cliquey’ than coed and so much more bullying and a lot more lgbtq people. Coed school (my first one anyway) was full of fools but that’s partly because it was ghetto ...

first of all it sounds like ur biased towards co-ed
also that is a stereotype u are making about all girls schools

i’m sorry, by girls school i was implying ‘MY’ girls school obviously I am not qualified to make a statement about other girls school

and no i’m not ‘biased’ towards coed just because i’ve been to two doesn’t mean i should prefer them

i have edited my post to reflect this

please do not go making assumptions based on nothing, you asked i question i felt like answering it, so don’t go being cynical to my response pls

thank you, have a good day
Reply 66
i’ve been to three secondary schools so far and 2/3 were co ed, my girls school is so much more ‘cliquey’ than coed and so much more bullying and a lot more lgbtq people. Coed school (my first one anyway) was full of fools but that’s partly because it was ghetto ...
all that said i prefer girls school but that is imo

the girls school that I go to doesn't have cliques
I go to a grammar school btw
i’m sorry, by girls school i was implying ‘MY’ girls school obviously I am not qualified to make a statement about other girls school

and no i’m not ‘biased’ towards coed just because i’ve been to two doesn’t mean i should prefer them

i have edited my post to reflect this

please do not go making assumptions based on nothing, you asked i question i felt like answering it, so don’t go being cynical to my response pls

thank you, have a good day

u know i was correct in certain aspects of what i was saying otherwise u would not have edited ur post accordingly
Reply 68

I go to an all-girls grammar school. Just to say, it's really not cliquey
u know i was correct in certain aspects of what i was saying otherwise u would not have edited ur post accordingly

the only part I edited was the part where I said ‘my’ school because apparently some people are sensitive and do not acknowledge the obvious and can not infer that i was referring to my grammar school ?
The question you asked was *do u like girls school ?* and I responded by given my opinion on MY school, so I am not being stereotypical in any shape of form as I did not say ‘all grammar schools are cliquey’
Original post by Ra_Ar
I go to an all-girls grammar school. Just to say, it's really not cliquey

that is your school, I am not presenting my opinion on *your* school I am presenting my opinion on mine so please stop implying that I am
and can we not like - do this petty thing ?

I replied to a question you asked and I don’t see any reason for you to reply in a manner that paints me as a somewhat partisan

are we all so sensitive that i need to be explicit and say **IN MY OPINION** in bold, underlined and with 18 Helvetica font so that no one takes offence ~
Reply 72
that is your school, I am not presenting my opinion on *your* school I am presenting my opinion on mine so please stop implying that I am

I wasn't implying that you were. I'm just responding to you by saying that this doesn't apply to my school
Original post by Ra_Ar
I wasn't implying that you were. I'm just responding to you by saying that this doesn't apply to my school

okay, just making my point
the only part I edited was the part where I said ‘my’ school because apparently some people are sensitive and do not acknowledge the obvious and can not infer that i was referring to my grammar school ?
The question you asked was *do u like girls school ?* and I responded by given my opinion on MY school, so I am not being stereotypical in any shape of form as I did not say ‘all grammar schools are cliquey’

so sensitive but anyways sorry if i offended u
so sensitive but anyways sorry if i offended u

you didn’t really offend me I was just clearing up some points bc i hate it when ppl make assumptions

apology accepted
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 76
well, this is awkward. How is year 10 so far for everyone? I mean apart from the new rules with social distancing, etc
Original post by Ra_Ar
hey to do active recall efficiently, you should be recalling after every mid-topic, or after every topic. Maybe even after a single lesson. It doesn't matter, as you should be doing it often - it does help, trust me. I'm in year 10 btw

Oh ok! Thank you so much - I’ll definitely start doing it :smile:
Original post by summerberry19
Hello
We didn’t do the expedition for DofE either, which is a shame.

Anyway I came here to ask about the active recall thing. I tried it out during the summer holidays but I couldn’t find a routine that worked for me...
How are you using these methods??:biggrin: Thanks, bye

Hey summerberry19 - sorry for the late reply,
Basically what I did was trying out lots of different ways of active recall (testing yourself on something) and finding what works best for you. So for example I tried Quizlet (a flashcard app which a lot of people already use) as it is good at testing and spacing out that testing. I also found another flashcard app called Anki which was just as good, so I searched on YT during the summer hols to find out which flashcard app was better - there were mixed views. But I preferred Quizlet only because the interface looked nice and motivated me to study, even though Anki had a more clear spaced repetition system.

Another method that I have heard from Ali Abdaal and others is Notion (a note-taking app) - don't mistake me, I know that note-taking is not the most efficient method of learning, but you can adapt this note-taking app to your own way of testing yourself. Just use the toggles as flashcards. For example a question could be "Which three structures are only found in plant cells?" which would go in the toggle and the answer would be hidden under the toggle - all you need to do is click the toggle and the answer will appear. For me, this method didn't work out best so I found a slightly better routine (but this toggle flashcard method is totally fine too) - the Google Sheets method.

So this method involves you using the Google Sheets app (a spreadsheet app) and you can use it like flashcards. You just put the question in the A-column and the answer in the B-question. And the best thing about this is that you can turn the text colour of the second column white so you can't see the answers, prompting you to actively use your brain to find the answer! This is active recall in action. Also, if you want to add a question involving labelling something (e.g. the Earth), you would add a picture and move it to the A-column, then in the B-column you can put "From top to bottom: blah blah blah". A great thing about this app is that you can use it on your phone so you can test yourself on the go!

Overall, I have decided that I'm going to use Quizlet for shorter facts and keyword definitions and the Google Sheets method for longer, more complex questions because of space.
So as I'm now in Year 10, I started trying these methods out for real. For Geography, our teacher told us to write summary notes after each lesson on a pink sheet (e.g. Erosion, Transportation, Deposition if you've done that topic yet) as there would be a mini-test the next week. If there were main keywords/facts on the summary notes I would quickly put it into Quizlet (I am only going to do Science and RS questions on Google Sheets). Furthermore I have implemented a new study routine and in my Geog study sessions I do this routine of making summary notes and putting them into flashcards the next session.

So yeah, there are different ways but find what best works for you - I have listed some of my ideas above if you need help working it out. I hope I have helped you in some way. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'm here to help!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ra_Ar
hey to do active recall efficiently, you should be recalling after every mid-topic, or after every topic. Maybe even after a single lesson. It doesn't matter, as you should be doing it often - it does help, trust me. I'm in year 10 btw

Yes I agree, you will need to implement Active Recall into your life if you want to consistently do well - doing it once won't be enough, as you'll forget 80% by about a month! It is important to repeat testing yourself once in a while, as your forgetting curve will start to flatten quicker and your learning material will move to your long-term memory sooner - this is called spaced repetition.

Quick Reply

Latest